Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kfds

Our site reset itself to default templates - help!

kfds

We are completely confused with what has just happened. We were about to launch the blog part of our website, I was updating our menu section to include the blog page, clicked save and to our horror our whole website had reset to what looked like the default template when you first install DMS and our content all mixed up.

This has really scared us. As a web development company we have trusted DMS on some of our client installs, and if this is likely to happen with them, we'd rather not use it.

We're also a bit worried about getting it back from a back up because although we have all the files and also the mysql backup we don't have a recent export of the json file because that can't be done automatically. Will we need this to restore it?

This is not what we needed at 5pm.

Thanks, Kieron.

p.s. happy to share login details with anyone at DMS.

jmad

The entire site reset?  I've installed DMS2 on a number of client sites and haven't any issues with all the content disappearing.  Occasionally, when I'm working on a particular page something my go missing but usually that has been to do with cache or internet interruption.  

Did you try clearing the cache in DMS?

Danny

Hi Kieron,

I can assure this isn't normal behaviour for DMS and is likely related to a third party plugin or script you're using. Would it be possible for you to provide a link to the site in question, or confirm the URL in your profile field is the site in question. Also, can you enable DMS debug mode (WordPress Admin Dashboard > PageLines, scroll to the bottom, last option).

Also, can you update to the latest version please, which is 2.1.8.

Please search our forums, before posting!

solosails

I had exactly this issue last night as well....

Had to reset all of my templates and had all sorts of weird anomalies .. was also scared about DMS2 stability

kfds

Hi there,

We have just restored the site from a backup so "unfortunately" I can't really show you the problem now. It seems strange that it would be a plugin though as we have been updating the site a lot recently and the site has not been updated with any new code. The other thing is that now we have restored it, we did the same thing that caused the issue (putting item in the menu) and it worked fine!

Mike

solosails

kfds , I wondered if it was a host thing as it appeared to coincide with our host servers going very slow for a while - all happened at about 1600 UTC for us last night here.

kfds

Sorry can't help there solosails, we have a dedicated server here.

jmad

I think some of this comes in with cacheing issues.  I'm in the habit of turning off DMS cache while I develop...seems to make things much more stable.

solosails

jmad , makes sense, I often have to refresh the page several times to see new sections working.

Danny

kfds - Can you provide the following information please.

1. Who is your host ?

2. Can you enable DMS debug mode please.

3. Provide your PHP info like so - http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/764/How+can+I+create+a+phpinfo.php+page%3F#gs

Please search our forums, before posting!

jmad

solosails  Hmmm...I've built 5 or 6 sites using DMS2 and haven't experienced that really.  When you add some new sections you have to refresh to see the section working but that's expected.  When you add a new ibox or carousel item then you need to refresh to have the item work but otherwise I haven't had any issues.  Sounds like you might have a host/memory issue?

solosails

solosails  Hmmm...I've built 5 or 6 sites using DMS2 and haven't experienced that really.  When you add some new sections you have to refresh to see the section working but that's expected.  When you add a new ibox or carousel item then you need to refresh to have the item work but otherwise I haven't had any issues.  Sounds like you might have a host/memory issue?

Hi, 

If I apply a new section, something like a slider, it says 'refresh the page', I go to refresh the page and the section has disappeared, so I have to do it all over again.

I find the most reliable way to get it to 'stick' is to click publish before I refresh the page, then more often than not it actually saves it, but it's a bit hit and miss to say the least.

However, going back to the problem in this thread, yesterday, ALL of my templates changed their settings somehow, I too out of coincidence had changed a menu setting as well, but I think this could well have been a red herring.

I had to spend about 2 hours putting everything back to normal again, and all of my saved sections no longer seemed to work...? Weird

jmad

Yikes, never had that issue and as far as I know haven't heard that from my clients.  Maybe DMS related but sounds like a host or setup issue.  I've had sections randomly move or a text box disappear but I thinks usually related to browser and memory or cache more than DMS.  I've had similar things happen in other frameworks/themes...a WP page full of shortcodes and content...GONE...never fun to rebuild that.

What hosting are you using?

solosails

jmad embarrassed to say Justhost . Normally ok (ish) you get what you pay for.

jmad

I've had really good luck and excellent customer service/support with Flywheel.

solosails

jmad Thanks for advice. In general, I have to say for the price, you really can't complain, they generally give good support and things tend to work, but they are a bit prone to being hacked from what I read, also the server is a little slow, but again, for the price, its pretty good.

jmad

Gotcha,  Flywheel runs 15/month for the "Tiny" package but pretty speed.  I have mistyolsen.com and ultimaterentals.flywheelsites.com running off of it.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?