Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atcdomainsolutions

Weird Issue With Header Area Disappearing

atcdomainsolutions

OK, have never had this happen and it keeps happening. Building a client site.

Running DMS2 2.1.8.

WordPress 4.0.

I have a home page and the header and footer are hidden on that page only (ID 7)

All other pages, the header and footer should be visible.  

When I add the header info ( column with Navbar) and then footer (Columnizer), they will stay there but after about 10 min or so or refreshing the page, etc, both the header and footers information disappear completely.  I have readded this info about 5 times and this last time, I finally gave up and figured I would write here.  Using the same CSS I use for almost all jobs and same plugins BUT I removed ALL CSS and disabled ALL plugins just to see if something was going on and problem still there...header info was still missing as well as footer.  The header and footer areas are still there but anything I have added to them is gone.

I'm building on my same server so I installed on a client subdomain just to see and the same thing happens there.

Site is http://atcdomainsolutions.com/DHMMEDIA_REAGAN.  The only page that actually has information on it besides the home page is the Blog page so click blog and THAT is where you should see the navigation up top and Columnizer in the footer.  

I even though maybe the Hide Section function was broken but even after unhiding the header and footer and trying to get them to appear on the home page as well, they disappear.

James

atcdomainsolutions

Just want to follow up on this.  I removed DMS 2.1.8 and reinstalled 2.1.5 and the issue no longer exists so there must be a bug issue with 2.1.8.  I deactivated all plugins and removed all Custom CSS when 2.1.8 was installed and anything I had added to the header and footer area would disappear after a few minutes or even as quickly as just refreshing the page.  This happened on two different host companies as well so not a host issue.  

After going back to 2.1.5 and activating all my usual plugins and adding my custom CSS back, no problems at all. 

Just adding this since this site needs to be completed within the next couple of days and didn't want to wait so if you are reading this now, the site in my original post no longer runs 2.1.8 so you won't see any problems but once it's done and I transfer it over, I can put up the original site design on my server if someone wants to troubleshoot over at Pagelines.  Definitely a bug of some sort.

James

Danny

HI,

I am going to need more information, as I am not entirely sure what you issue is.

How are you hiding your header and footer information on your home page only (give exact steps please).

I also, don't quite understand this sentence;

"When I add the header info ( column with Navbar) and then footer (Columnizer), they will stay there but after about 10 min or so or refreshing the page, etc, both the header and footers information disappear completely.  I have readded this info about 5 times and this last time, I finally gave up and figured I would write here."

What do you mean add header info, I thought you were attempting to hide it ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

atcdomainsolutions

HI,

I am going to need more information, as I am not entirely sure what you issue is.

How are you hiding your header and footer information on your home page only (give exact steps please).

I also, don't quite understand this sentence;

"When I add the header info ( column with Navbar) and then footer (Columnizer), they will stay there but after about 10 min or so or refreshing the page, etc, both the header and footers information disappear completely.  I have readded this info about 5 times and this last time, I finally gave up and figured I would write here."

What do you mean add header info, I thought you were attempting to hide it ?

Danny

In DMS2, if you click the Header area of a site (same for Footer), and edit it, there is an option near the bottom that reads:  Hide on specific pages or posts? (IDs Comma Separated.

This is what I ticked for the home page of this one site I'm building and I added ID7 (ID for the home page).  For all other pages, the header and footer should show what sections I added to them.  For some reason, after a few minutes, anything I have added to the header or footer area disappears.

I DO want the header and footer to NOT be visible on the home page BUT for all other pages on the site, it needs to be visible.  The way that DMS2 makes it, you can select which pages you want to hide the header and footer and on this site, I have only selected the home page to hide the header and footer.  THAT part is working fine since, if you go to the home page, the header and footer are hidden.

The problem is the other pages, the header area IS there so that is working fine.  IT's whatever I add TO the header or footer area.  Those things are what is disappearing.  I keep adding the Navbar to the header and I am adding the Columnizer to the footer and after a few minutes, they disappear (the Navbar and Columnizer or anything else I attempt to add).

Danny

So you have added ID7 to the field ?

If so that isn't correct and is probably the cause of your issue. The ID you want to use is taken from the DMS Toolbar > Page Setup > Page Handling, there you should see something called Page ID with a long string of numbers for example 1234567. That is the ID of the page provided by DMS, copy and paste that into the Hide sections field.

atcdomainsolutions

So you have added ID7 to the field ?

If so that isn't correct and is probably the cause of your issue. The ID you want to use is taken from the DMS Toolbar > Page Setup > Page Handling, there you should see something called Page ID with a long string of numbers for example 1234567. That is the ID of the page provided by DMS, copy and paste that into the Hide sections field.

Danny

That's where I"m getting it but what you are telling me to use is the Current TYPE ID and I don't want to hide the header on all page types like this.  For example, with the number you are telling me to use, if I selected to hide the header on all page types of 1234567, all standard pages on a typical site have the same ID Type so it would hide it there.  In order to make me it specific to an EXACT page, we are supposed to use the Current PAGE ID, not Type ID.  I am doing that but it's obviously not working.  I attached two screenshots.  

PAGE ID should only hide it on that exact page, which is page number 7

TYPE ID would hide it on all pages that share that same page type.  While this is the home page and should be the only one sharing that page type, if I wanted to hide the header on the Contact page (which shares a page type with all other pages on the site), it would hide the header area across all pages.  To avoid that, I should be able to hide by the exact page ID number of that actual page to control the header being hidden page by page.

James

Danny

I never said to use the Type ID, I have re-read what I wrote and I never mention type once. I am saying to use the Page ID, the way you wrote your response made it sound like you actually added ID7 instead of just 7.

Anyway, so you're saying that you have no issue with the hide sections option, it works when you add the ID. The issue you have is that the sections you place inside are disappearing.

When you add new sections such as Nav or Columnizer, are you adding these to the home page i.e. the page that has the header/footer hidden or the other pages?

Would it be possible to record your issue please, as I think I have recreated it, but not entirely sure.

johnmosier

I'm having a simular issue.  For some reason items dissaper totally or I can't select them because they get stuck behind other items and I have to erase the whole section and start from scratch.

Pagelines seems to be saving every time a change is made.  Shouldn't it not save until you publish?

Danny

johnmosier - DMS does not save every time, it saves a draft copy. However, these are not visible to non-administrators. The only time your changes will be visible to non-admins is when you click the publish button. If you're having sections getting stuck behind one another and also disappearing, I recommend you disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue. As sections shouldn't be getting stuck, I haven't even ever encountered that issue before.