Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tcsurfski

Rev Slider doesn't adjust for iPAD

tcsurfski

Hi there,

I am looking for some assistance on how to setup my website so that the Rev Slider will adjust and display correctly on the iPad.   

I have used the RevSlider on several of my website pages.   Here is an example from my site:

http://tcsurfski.com/technique/

I don't know how to grab iPad screen shots, but if you are able to access an iPad and try this URL you can see the issue.  The outside edges of the picture are cut-off

I am using the latest version of DMS 2.1.8  and the latest version of the Workspace Theme.   I also have the latest version of Wordpress 4.0

Additionally on the iPad the side bars seem to become narrower and I have some issues with fixed width embedded Google Docs.  Is there a way to reduce the size of the content/body section based on the device?

I'm generally open to any guidance to make my site work better on the iPad

thanks

Nick

Danny

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, the RevSlider section resizes your images using a CSS property called background-size: and a value called cover. Here is a description for the cover value;

Scale the background image to be as large as possible so that the background area is completely covered by the background image. Some parts of the background image may not be in view within the background positioning area.

So what this means is that the image will be scaled so that the area is completely covered, buy some parts of your image may not be in view due to this resize. I have mentioned this to our developers to see if there is anything that can be changed. However, in the meantime the RevSlider is working as intended.

If you're unhappy with how the RevSlider adjusts your image(s) on devices, then I would recommend you check out the Revolution Slider plugin which as far as I am aware resizes your images perfectly.

Please search our forums, before posting!

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,

Do you know if the Revolution Slider Plugin is compatible with the latest version of DMS and the Workspace theme?  I just purchased it and when I installed it and activated it,  it really messed up my website pretty bad.  I lost the main menu, footer menu, and several of the various theme features.    I've had to request that my hosting provider revert to a backup of my site to restore functionality.

The first time I went to install the Revolution Slider Plugin I selected the wrong zip file and it failed to install.   I can't imagine this would have done the damage to my site.   Once I selected the right zip file the plugin installed successfully, but then when I launched the DMS editor, many of the sections on my site were gone.

If the Revolution Slider Plugin does eventually work,  would it appear as a section in DMS?  Or would I have to work with it from the Wordpress dashboard?

Danny

Hi,

As far as I am aware, we have quite a few users using that plugin. Activating a plugin shouldn't cause you the issue you encountered. Therefore, there is something else likely at work, maybe a script you added or cache plugin ?

In regards to Revolution Slider as a section, there is no section for it. The only way there would be is if the developer of that plugin created one and added it to our store. There are two ways you can implement the Revolution Slider onto your page. One being a hook and two using a widgetized area and use the plugins shortcode.

If you want the slider to be full width, you will need to use a child theme and a modified version of a widgetized area. Which I created below, I have also included a link to my child theme.

https://github.com/Dannyholt/fullwidth-widgetizer

https://github.com/Dannyholt/skeleton

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the additional information.   Please bear with me,  as I am very far from an expert web developer.   I have played around a bit with the Revolution Slider plugin and it definitely appears to be extremely powerful.    Before moving forward, I do want to make sure I fully understand how to execute the approach you have outlined:

1.  Install your full width widgetizer code  (what is the best way to do this?)

2.  Then from within DMS I will have an option to add the full width widgetizer to my page layout ?

3.  I would then specify a sidebar for the widgetizer which would reference the revolution slider that I wish to use?  

Let me know if the above makes sense and also how best to install the full width widgetizer and I'm not certain if based on the above scenario the child theme is also required.  If it is,  and you could give some guidance on installing it and how it fits into the solution, that would be very helpful as well...  

thanks again for your time, sorry for the basic questions

Nick

Danny

To install a custom section such as Full Width Widgetized area, you first need to use a child theme, such as the PL Starter theme or my Skeleton theme. Then you need to download the Full Width Widgetized area section and extract the zip, rename the folder to fullwidth-widgetized and then upload it to your child themes section folder. If your child theme doesn't have one, simply create it via an FTP client.

Once the sections folder has been uploaded to your child theme sections folder, go to your website and in the DMS Toolbar, go to Add to Page and click the reload sections button. Make sure your child theme is the active theme before clicking Reload Sections. Once you have done this, you should now see a full width widgetized area section.

Simply drag and drop the Full Width Widgetized section to your page/template and then configure the section, using widgets. I am not sure if the Revolution Slider comes with a widget as I have never used the plugin. However, if it doesn't simply download my Full TextBox or Full MediaBox sections from my GitHub repo and follow the steps above. With these sections you can use the shortcode from the plugin.

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,

In the thread above I mentioned the many problems I had that I thought were related to loading the Revolution Slider Plugin.  I now restored my website and realized that as you stated,  the plugin had nothing to do with the issue.

I recently upgraded to Wordpress 4.0  and DMW 2.1.8.   I also have WooCommerce and a few other minor plugins   Since making this upgrade,  if I try to go from the WP dashboard into the customize.php  to edit my site in DMS,  it completely erases and screws up several sections of my website and goes back to showing default DMS  sample sections, etc..

Can you please advise how I can resolve this.  As of now I cannot do any work in DMS since it will screw up several portions of my site

Danny

Please do not use the Customize button, if you're using the latest version of DMS, it should just redirect you to your DMS homepage. The customize button shouldn't be used, we have included a redirect, but that is all we can do, as WordPress won't allow anyone to remove it.

To edit your site, simply go to the front end.

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your feedback.  That did the trick.  Huge relief to now understand what was causing the issue and how to get around it.   So the good news is that I've gotten good at backing up my site before doing any changes :-)

Back to our original thread -  I think I'm close to fully understanding it and trying out the Revolution Slider Plugin... just a couple last questions / clarifications:

1. Can I implement your full-width widgetizer within the Workspace Child Theme that I currently use or do I need to use one of the child themes you referenced/provided above?
  2. If I use a different child theme,  then I understand I would need to first make it active,  then go into the DMS editor,  then place the full width widgetizer on the page, etc..    my question then is,   will this impact the rest of the existing page that is built on the Workspace theme?   Can a single web page ultimately be a combination of different child themes?

I"m sure this is fundamental Wordpress development type questions I'm asking, but it isn't clear to me.  I am really not a developer,  but I think I have been able to develop a pretty solid site through the user friendly functions of DMS  combined with the Workspace child theme

thanks again for all of your help

Nick

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,

I have added the fullwidth-widgetizer folder and associated files under the "Sections" folder of my Child theme which is Workspace.    I followed the steps to reload sections in the DMS page editor and still do not see the fullwidth-widgetizer section appearing as an option.    Anything I could be missing?

thanks

Nick

Danny

Can you provide screenshots of your child theme folder files, so I can see where you have added this and the structure. Also, can you provide a screenshot of your Add to Page panel so I can see all the sections.

tcsurfski

Hey Danny,

Thanks for staying with me here..  I actually stumbled upon this bit of code:   http://www.pagelinestheme.com/make-content-width-section-full-width/    which I think should do the trick.

So I have added a full width Canvas section and then within that I've put the "content width" widget.    The only thing I am struggling with is getting rid of all the paddling on top and bottom.   In the code there is an optional bit that looks like it should remove the padding, but I can't seem to get all the top and bottom padding removed.   I suspect the padding is in the Full Width Canvas and not the widget,  but not 100% certain.

I did manage to find the setting in the Revolution Slider Plugin where you change from "Cover"  to "%,%"  and that does the trick for scaling the slide background image based on the screen resolution/device that is viewing.   So really excited about that, just need to resolve this padding issue and I should be good.  Any code/insight you can provide would be great!

You can see an example of the padding  top/bottom gap on my site at :  http://tcsurfski.com/technique/

Danny

Add the following, this should remove the top and bottom padding on that section:

#widgetizerufxtq3k .pl-section-pad {
  padding-top: 0;
  padding-bottom: 0;
}

However, you haven't provided screenshots of your child theme, as it should work and is simpler than adding custom classes. As you don't need to use them, you just drag and drop the section onto your template.

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,   I agree with you.  I would like to provide the screen shots and get the original approach working where I load your full width widgetizer.    I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I don't see the option to attach a jpg file here and when I paste the screen shots, my post doesn't seem to take

Danny

Please use an image hosting service such as imgur or something similar to add your screenshots please.

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,

Here are the screen shots that I think you are requesting:

http://imgur.com/nIcISx9,N66M3Lc#0

http://imgur.com/nIcISx9,N66M3Lc#1

I do hope to get this working.  I couldn't seem to get the code you provided to do the trick of removing the padding, maybe I wasn't adding it in the right spot,  not sure.

tcsurfski

Sorry, used the wrong URL..  trying again

http://imgur.com/nIcISx9

http://imgur.com/N66M3Lc

Danny

I have never used that WorkSpace child theme. However, if you click on Reload sections and it doesn't load them the issue must be the child theme or you need to delete the cache from your Cache plugin.

Please be aware that we do not actually provide support to users with an active cache plugin as it can make diagnosing issues almost impossible. Also, I recommend you disable the plugin until you have finalised your sites design, otherwise you may encounter further issues down the road.

tcsurfski

Hi Danny,   

I don't have any caching plugins enabled, but just to be safe I went to the "resets" section of the DMS editor and did a Cache Reset.    I'm still not seeing the full-width widgetizer,  so I now think it must be related to the workspace child theme.   Is there any specific reason I wouldn't want to try and load the full-width widgetizer into the DMS sections?

tcsurfski

Hey Danny,

My mistake,  I originally loaded the full-width widgetizer to the wrong folder ...  wp-admin  versus public html...   the widget is available now

thanks for your help,  sorry for the confusion

Danny

No problem and thanks for informing us the issue has been resolved.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?