Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ketri

What are your thoughts on Bootstrap 3 or 4?

ketri

Hi!

I'm just wondering what are the thoughts on Pagelines with the updated versions of Bootstrap? Are you planning on updating to one anytime in the near future?

Of course the new grid system with multiple column-width options for different breakpoints would need some designing to make it as easy to use as the current, but it would also add a lot more options. Would it be difficult to maintain backwards compatibility or not make updating from previous versions break?

Danny

Hi Ketri,

The problem is that both PageLines Framework and DMS use a heavily customized version of Bootstrap and therefore, updating it to the latest version would likely nuke current site builds using DMS.

However, the Bootstrap 3.x implementation is something that comes up a lot and is on the to-do-list for our developers. Whether or not this makes it into DMS 2.x or not I am unsure, but I find it unlikely.

In regards to Bootstrap 4, the change from px to rems and ems is awesome. If you want to see a preview of how this works, check the Jekyll theme Poole.

http://getpoole.com/

It contains two themes for Jekyll, both of which are developed and maintained by one of the Bootstrap developers. It also uses Rems for font sizes, widths and media queries. Its quite awesome.

Another awesome thing about Bootstrap 4 is the drop of IE8.

Please search our forums, before posting!

ketri

Hi Danny

Any progress with this one?
Lately I've been having some issues not being able to customize the grid for different media queries. For example the Dream team section is quite problematic on some sizes between desktop and mobile http://club.pagelines.com/pl-dreamteam/?dobar#

Would it be possible to customize the Less and add the options to different columns for different screensizes myself or would this be difficult?

ketri

An update: 

It seems that I was able to add the grid from Bootstrap 3 to DMS in about 15 minutes. My solution was just to customize bootstrap so I only download the new grid system. Then I'd insert the bootstrap 3 grid in the less file inside 

#site{

//bootstrap 3 grid here so it will override the default grid when using bootstrap 3 classes

}

I also added box-sizing:border-box inside the #site

If it could be done in a somewhat hacky way like this, I'm sure your developers could make it work in a more elegant way without it being a huge update. Users could just the GUI to edit the large desktop size like normal and for example add the additional classes (col-xs-12 col-sm-6 col-md-8 etc) in custom classes and that would already be a great improvement. At the moment the biggest drawback with DMS is that it's difficult to create custom grids for tablets and there are problems like with the dream team section, images and text boxes are simply too wide until we go to narrow devices like smartphones.

Any thoughts? :)

Danny

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to include Bootstrap 3.x in DMS 1.x or 2.x as it would it require a huge rewrite of all sections and core features. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

ketri

Danny I still hope to see this one day. 

• Similar Content

• ppotent
      By ppotent+
      Any chance of a pagelines table plug-in coming? I know that the use of short codes and bootstrap can achieve this, but I can't seem to find any easy/visual editor way of doing this. There are table plug-ins around for wordpress, but honestly, they are pretty clunky. I'd pay for a tables plug-in, given how much I would use tables if I could.

• nandorj78
      By nandorj78+
      I checked the demo for the new bootstrap theme (http://themes.pagelines.com/bootstrap/) and I really liked the slider on it. I suppose it was not done using 'impulse' or 'flick slider', was it? How was it done?
    • Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • micstepl
      By micstepl+
      is Bootstrab (http://getbootstrap.com/ ) kompatible to PL5? how to install most fitting?
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.