Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bloom1creative

Moving DMS from subfolder

bloom1creative

Hi

Can somebody please tell me the correct method for moving the DMS from a subfolder WordPress install?  I have had this issue several times, the last instance I just added the folder after all the [pl_site_url] shortcodes which was a bit of a headache to say the least....

This time I moved another install, and I have had this before, where the DMS editor no longer initiates when you visit the URL without the subfolder, so the RAW URL I mean.

I have also lost the LESS, CSS, and header and footer sections that I had all designed and ready, and all I did was drag the .htaccess file outside the folder, add the index.php with the correct folder location to the root, and change the home url in the db.  I have no clue how that would cause the theme to behave in this way.

I am incidentally using the Voyant child theme, which has already wiped all the settings on me once before.

Thanks

Rob

Many thanks

Rob1n

bloom1creative

I also have lost all my customisation in the homepage template which I had called 'Welcome' - now reverted back to the DMS out of the box elements...

Many thanks

Rob1n

bloom1creative

Yes, my saved sections have vanished which I think is causing a lot of the issues as the theme cant find them :/

Many thanks

Rob1n

Danny

Hi,

We are going to need to know the steps you took when performing the moving of the domain. Therefore, can you provide the exact steps you took please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

bloom1creative

To be honest mate, all other gripes aside, the problem is solely with the Voyant theme.  

IF this theme is disabled, eg for an update to DMS, the CSS/LESS/Voyant Sections/Saved Section all vanish.  As you can imagine, this is a tiny bit frustrating...  The other DMS builds and child themes I have used never do this, so the finger for me points heavily toward the Voyant theme incompatibility to be disabled and maintain layout.

I can deal with the Pagelines bugs, annoying as they are, and will post on here to try and solve them.

The moving out of a subfolder thing is a huge deal, my steps were as follows:

Site fully installed in a subfolder, working great.

1. Move .htaccess file and index.php from subfolder - add /subfolder to index.php location.

2. Dip into Database, change the home URL to remove the subfolder.

3. check site, working great.

4. Log in, view front end, no DMS.

5. Disable all plugins, no different.

6. Inspect js clashing, none found.

7. Panic that I can't access or use the DMS editor, and also notice that [pl_site_url] all broken as the 'subfolder' is still assumed to be the site url, yet ive changed and moved that now so it's not present but the 'direct' file URLs still need it.  Manually add the folder back into all broken SRCs.

8. Panic and brain explodes, move site back into subfolder.

Many thanks

Rob1n

Danny

Let me speak to our developers, as I never use WordPress in this fashion. So it could well be an issue with the [pl_site_url] shortcode.

bloom1creative

Yeah could be buddy, thanks for that yeah would be v helpful if that could adapt to whatever was in the Wordpress settings!

Tried many search and replace plugins just for record, and they do not work with the shortcode as I found they all broke the sites and were possibly too aggressive.

The trouble was, there are instances in the DB of where the [pl_site_url] was entered, and also instances where the actual URL was printed, so a find and replace is a nightmare and I believe pages 'converts' the shortcode via scripts.

Many thanks

Rob1n

Danny

When you say this:

1. Move .htaccess file and index.php from subfolder - add /subfolder to index.php location.

Are you saying you move the index.php and .htaccess files ? To my understanding you need to copy them not move them. Are you positive you have followed these instructions here - http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory#Moving_a_Root_install_to_its_own_directory

bloom1creative

Positive.  Yes my bad, I said move but I meant copy.  As I said, before I used Pagelines I was using Wordpress in this way for years.  I have also redirected PL installs from the folder quite recently and they just worked.  Others however, the DMS fails to initiate and the [pl_site_url] goes to pot.

Most of my issues once again though have been linked to when using the Voyant child theme on your store.  My own created child themes haven't displayed this behaviour for a while.

the client picked out that theme so thats the only reason I used it.  I have been a tad put off using premade child themes again I must say after losing everything the other day  :D

Many thanks

Rob1n

emilyf

So did this problem go unresolved? I'm having the same problem - ready to go live and everythings kaput - would love some help.

Danny

@emilyf Can you provide create a new topic please, as this topic is over six months old. In your new topic, provide the steps you have taken and a link to the site in question.

• Similar Content

• Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a week ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• JawDesigns
      By JawDesigns
      Hi everyone,
      Flywheel have reported errors on my clients site 'www.racewaredirect.co.uk' and it's not loading. Can someone please provide some information on how to fix this? The site has never experienced these issues before.
      Thanks,
      James Wilson
    • MissT
      By MissT+
      Hi there,
      I've got an issue with 3 websites built with DMS since I migrated them from http to https that I need help with please.
      When any changes are made - e.g. new posts added or existing posts amended - certain sections of the live site seem to break e.g. image headers hang and don't load (b/g on canvas section), sliders hang and don't load (Revslider), flipper section doesn't load.
      Logging in and then clicking 'Edit the site using DMS' seems to fix the problem. Often if I try to open up another browser window to edit the site / re publish I'm unable to as the page wont load / hangs while trying to load.
      Any ideas how to fix this? On a couple of the sites I've installed a caching plugin as I thought it might be a loading speed issue but it's still happening.
      Website URL's can be provided privately.
      Many thanks in advance.