Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justin.haskin

Template frustrations

justin.haskin

I'm struggling with my templates.  I think I have a hunch why.  

I have a fully developed site, www.gracelegacycapital.com.  I haven't used any templates at all - zero.  It's a simple site, no need for templates.

Well, now I'm starting on my blog page, and I want to get rid of the header that's used on all of my other pages.  I thought I could simply assign the blog its own template, unlink, and delete away the content in the header.  But that's not the case, as it deletes content from every page.  

I'm guessing that's because I haven't assigned my other pages their own respective templates.  

But I did a quick experiment and assigned my home page its own template.  I then assigned my blog page its own template.  Unlinked content on both.  Yet when I change the header region of the blog page, it still changes my home page, despite having 2 different templates.

So I'm confused as to what's going on.  I thought it was because I hadn't assigned a template to all of my pages.  My experiment suggests otherwise.  Any ideas?

I'm WP 4.0, DMS2, latest updates, plugins:

Analytics for Wodpress

ContactForm 7

Custom Sidebars

DMS Professional Tools

Footer Putter

GetResponse Integration Plugin

Google Analytics

HS Social Media Buttons

Modal PopUp DMS

myRepono Backup 

NavBanner

Official StatCounter

Pagelines Updater

Quick/Page/Post Redirect Plugin

Under Construction

WP Splash Page

Thanks for your assistance,

Danny

Hi,

DMS has fours regions that are used on templates, these are Fixed, Header, Template and Footer. The Fixed, Header and Footer regions are global regions, which means that whatever content you have there will be visible throughout your site, if you make a change on one page it will effect all pages.

So to resolve your issue, you will probably want to remove those sections you have added to your header and add them to the template area of your pages, this way when you create a template for your blog, you can remove them without effecting the other pages. Be sure that all pages use one template and the blog uses a completely different one.

Please search our forums, before posting!

justin.haskin

Thank you Danny.  Makes sense.

Danny

No problem.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?