Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ketri

Questions about migrating site

ketri

Hello

I'm having some strange issues when I migrate my site from local to live version, or if I change my folder name in which the WordPress is in.

I'm using virtualhostx -app that takes a folder (users/documents/webisite/projectx) and gives is a domain (http://projectx.dev)

Then I upload the files to live server (or move them locally from folder to another). I use WP migrate DB -plugin to update all occurances of my domain name in my database. Usually this works fine, but for some reason now all my sections disappear. It seems that I also need to update the actual directory path to make the live version work. 

Because I do this a lot  I'd like some info where in the database is the actual folder-path required for the sections to work? If I change the folder path ( and the url of course) then it starts working. 

So where in the database is the folder address needed and why won't just chaning the site url and wordpress url be enough?

Hopefully I explained myself clearly :) 

Thanks in advance

ketri

It's strange. I tried using a specific string that I replaced the folder url with. Then I tried searching for the entire database for it but couldn't find it. Still its  the thing that influences whether the site will work or not. 

Danny

I have no experience with that app and also, not sure what you mean when you say you rename the WordPress folder. It is likely something in the way you're migrating, most likely the app itself.

Can you go into detail the steps you're taking please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

ketri

I have no experience with that app and also, not sure what you mean when you say you rename the WordPress folder. It is likely something in the way you're migrating, most likely the app itself.

Can you go into detail the steps you're taking please.

When I migrate my site from one domain to another, it doesn't seem to be enough to change the site url and WordPress url in my database. If I just change them the sections in my site disappear. But if I also use this WP Migrate DB -plugin to go trough my entire database and also replace all paths to my folder (/users/documents/websites/projectexample ---> something/public_html/project ) then it works. 
I'm wondering why is this? What parts of database or the sit need this folder address?

Thank you!