Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kboyle10

One Click... All My Styling Is GONE

kboyle10

So I was looking at my sidebars and accidentally clicked on the "customize" button under Appearance and all of my custom CSS was deleted.

Why does this happen?

Is this a bug?

I have to now load up a backup and reenter tons of member data, lose  money and customers because I have to now hope they resign up once their accounts are wiped out.

Can somebody explain why that customize button is any different from customizing the site through the normal DMS Editor?

sheilahoff

Bummer! What version of DMS are you running. I had this happen once awhile back. I was told that it was fixed though.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

kboyle10

Yeah total bummer. I am running the latest update that was pushed out. 

That definitely needs to be fixed. What is that customized button even doing there? 

sheilahoff

Assuming you mean the same one I clicked by mistake months ago...that is a part of WordPress Dashboard. I'm disappointed to learn it's still not fixed.

kboyle10

Yeah I guess... 

Appearance > Customize

That's the one I accidentally clicked.

Simon

We cant remove the customize button, its part of WordPress, they make damn sure there is no way to remove it or customize it.

We added a javascript snippet that detects its been clicked and redirects you to the front page. If you have some antivirus plugin or scritp blocker that stops this redirect there isnt much we can do!

Im more concerned about you losing customer accounts and the fact they have to sign up again! Have WordPress accounts/user been deleted? If so this could be a WordPress severe bug!!

kboyle10

I understand. It's just a hard pill to swallow. I still don't have the back up loaded yet. Oh well... you live you learn. 

Simon

So were your users wiped out?

kboyle10

No they weren't wiped out but I'm working to reinstate of backup because I had hundreds of lines of css and redoing all of that from scratch is harder that losing the customers I've gained over the last day.

Simon
I'd use a style.css file if I were you.

sheilahoff

If it's not already too late, have you considered restoring the backup to a temporary site (maybe a subdomain) so you could just grab the needed CSS and not lose stuff from the live site. Just a thought. Good luck. Sorry for your pain.

Danny

The CSS/LESS editor, is supposed to be used for small snippets of CSS/LESS. If you're going to be using large changes to DMS, then the best method is to use a child theme and add your custom CSS to the style.css file, if you plan on using both CSS and LESS, then you should use the style.less file in the child theme.

This way if you click customise and happen to encounter the issue again, the CSS/LESS will not be removed as it is stored in a separate file.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

WOW....that's the first time I've heard this "The CSS/LESS editor, is supposed to be used for small snippets"! Good to know.

Danny

Sheila, our documentation has always stated that the CSS/LESS editor is mean't for small style changes and for large changes, the use of a child theme is recommended.

The following statement is copied and pasted from our documentation:

DMS Customize Options

The PageLines DMS method is recommended to new users or users with limited HTML/CSS knowledge. PageLines DMS has two built-in options for customization, allowing you to add custom LESS/CSS, and scripts. If you wish to add nothing more than a few custom scripts and/or basic CSS/LESS to your website, then using DMS independently is the method for you.

chamois_blanc

Just noting that if you start using style.less to override existing DMS styled elements, the priority is not the same as when using the inline editor. Therefore you may have to use !important more often.

chamois_blanc

Just found this in the documentation:

When adding custom CSS to your website, depending on your customization method your custom CSS/LESS may require using an ID to preface your rules. There are two main ID’s that you can use to guarantee your custom rules will work correctly, these overrides are#site & #page.

The reason that you’re required to do this, is because of the way heirarchy works in CSS and especially in LESS. We are using a new convention, specifically that inside the core and extensions we do not use ID based selectors… e.g. #page

These are reserved for "user" customizations, because a single ID in a CSS selector can over power a long chain of class based selectors.

Some sound recommendations. There is a #site ID but I don't think there is a #page ID though. Note that some divs like the one with .pl-mobile-menu will be outside the #page div.

Gilles

Danny

There is a #page ID, see here - https://cloudup.com/cDXEvoHmdEJ

The mobile class is before the #site element, therefore, none of those IDs will work. To override the mobile menu class you will probably want to prefix it with one of the body classes or just use the important declaration.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?