Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loathing

Forum improvements suggestions

Loathing
These are just some initial thoughts I had when using this forum. I prefer the stackoverflow/stackexchange forum style. PageLines forum is OK. I think some simple things could be done to make it easier to use.

• It would be much easier to compose a forum post if the post page listed out the available tags (or general idea). E.g. the list and * square bracket tags for ul/ol and li. It's unclear how to write an html tag in angle brackets without it being consumed and truncating the rest of the post. I've tried wrapping them in the square bracket code tags, but the text disappears.
  • Showing the user names who visited the topic is not really that useful. Some have hundreds of names. Maybe this is more useful to moderators to see if person has read the XYZ sticky post, but not for a general user.
  • It would be more convenient to be able to use the code tags and paste HTML in them rather than using the PasteBin and adding a link. (Maybe I'm doing something wrong?)
  • On the "Topic Tags" input textbox, it would be good to set the Placeholder as "Separated by commas".
  • Previewing post deletes the topic tags previously entered.
  • Newlines don't seem to be turned into br tags when the post is submitted. The lines are sometimes combined into one long line.

Danny

Hi,

We use IPB and it is one of the best forum suites available. We have tried numerous forum suites and none of them fit our needs. For example, bbPress is great as it fits into WordPress like a glove. However, it isn't feature rich and not really ideal for a support forum. There are other suites out there but they all have one issue in common, they do not work well with the WordPress database and therefore, bridging the users between the two is a PITA. Where as IPB, is feature rich, is rather good at the moment as a Q/A forum, this is only going to improve with the new version just around the corner.

For me personally, I find Stack Overflow confusing, as there is far too much going on for my liking.

In regards to your points:

1. There is a WYSIWYG editor that includes all available tags, a code button, list button etc.. - https://cloudup.com/cF3GvZYYcoS

For example: 

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <meta charset="UTF-8">
  <title>Document Title</title>
</head>
<body>
  <h1>Need more cowbell!</h1>
</body>
</html>

2. I think seeing who has viewed your topic is more probably more useful to a mod than a standard user, but I see this being a breaking feature or something that is confusing.

3. You can paste HTML into a code block using using the code button in the WYSIWYG editor. However, myself and our staff member ask users to post in a paste bin server when there is a lot of code being pasted. As, it starts to get confusing the more code being pasted. This isn't something unique to PageLines forums either, this is pretty universal on any support forum, the ones I use anyway.

4. Not quite sure what you mean regarding topic tags and a placeholder.

5. That is likely a bug in IPB and not something we can fix.

6. I haven't ever experience this.

However, as this isn't we can change or fix, as it isn't our software. You would probably be better providing this feedback to IPB themselves.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Loathing

Thanks for your replies.  I am using Firefox with NoScript and I had the netdna-cdn.com blocked so I didn't see the WYSIWYG editor.  That makes it a lot better.

Danny

Awesome and thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. We are always on the lookout for improvements to our support forum to help speed up the process for our users to get support.

onespirit

Awesome and thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. We are always on the lookout for improvements to our support forum to help speed up the process for our users to get support.

Hi Danny,

Thought I would add my thoughts directly to your comment as it's perfectly aligned.

Using the PageLines forum is one of the most frustrating forum experiences for me due to one tiny little detail.

That blasted flood control feature on the forum search. It's way too hyper sensitive.

Often I'll search for something and the search turns up blank. Then if I revise the wording of my search. I get that annoying flood control thing.

Have to wait 10 seconds or whatever it says.

It's enough to make me stop using the forum but I can't because it's the main support for PageLines products.

I can't imagine you'd want an otherwise very happy customer to be frustrated by your support forum constantly so I thought I would find the courage to speak up and maybe you'll consider turning that off or at least revising it's settings to deal with real  search form abusers.

Thanks for all the great support and work you do.

Joseph

Danny

onespirit - Thanks for the feedback, I understand what you're referring and I'll see if we can lower the time frame per /postsearch. FYI, this is the default setting and may not be lowered as it prevents spam.

onespirit

@mention Thanks for looking into Danny :-)

onespirit

Danny thanks so much for adjusting the search flood control settings on the forum as it is working just perfect for me now! It's a pleasure now :-)