Sign in to follow this  
kelbycarr

Setting up homepage...

clvrtv

I know this is an older post, but I'm having the exact same dilemma. This seems to be one of the big sticking points of rapid Platform adoption. Naturally, a page could be created and tweaked and set as the home and everything worked around but it seems like too many steps and is nothing close to intuitive. There's already stuff going to the blog version of the home page by default (logo header, nav, loop, sidebar, and two lower boxes search and friends (links?)). Of course in the template code this is index.php. But why is this not treated like a selectable template area (albeit special one) in the Template Setup section? Or is it? Is there no way to GUI edit the blog home page to add and remove sections like the rest of other pages? And if not this seems like a gross oversight. If I just want a standard blog home page with Nav, Featured section, Loop, sidebar, etc.... why would I have to create a special page, update the Reading settings, create (and then therefore constantly manage) a custom menu to hide "home" for the Nav, check the "hide by default", and a bunch of other stuff just to jimmy this to work? Seems crazy. Platform is great for it's flexibility. Can't index.php (included with Base as well) just be as user-friendly and intuitive and be drag-and-drop configurable as other page templates out of the box? Please? :) Can't understand why it's not. (Or I'd be happy to be corrected and find out that it is)

cmunns

WordPress out of the box is meant to have a home page that is a blog and thus we've left it that way. The only way around it would be to give you a default db that you could use that would include both sample post/pages as well as wp options info such as the reading settings..and that's not going to happen. Of course the focus of platformpro gives is to give you a full blown CMS at your fingertips, but it's difficult for us to know each specific use case scenario and in this case it's simply just the way WordPress works, not PlatformPro unless I'm misunderstanding your problem with default installation settings.