Sign in to follow this  
dukelib

Child theme question

dukelib

Is it possible for Platform to have more than one child theme? I have an instance of WP with about 10 sites but each of the sites could have a different version of Pagelines. Is this possible? Right now, I made changes via the custom code for one site but it is now applying for another site I am bring up. Thanks!

cmunns

It is possible to have an endless number of child themes. You just need to copy and rename the file and the name of the file in the style.css then edit away

dukelib

Just to be clear which file? I think my hang up is that when you edit the custom code in the interface, it affects all the sites using the same theme. I would like it so that custom code could be applied per site. So for instance Site A would have one background image and Site B could have another. Changing this via the interface would be golden.

bryan-hadaway

Hmm, there could be some conditional coding written. Are you using multisite or something similar, I'm not very familiar with this. Let me know how you have things setup and for what reason. Also, let's get a link just in case. Thanks, Bryan

dukelib

Yes, using WP 3.01 with multsite directories set up. Each blog is set up as separate blogs of one institution. So they all share the same theme in the one installation of WP but are allowed to have some variances in the theme. Link is not public for new blogs so can't provide yet. But currently can show current set up using a different and outdated theme. These are currently set up in separate WP instances and are not mulitsited. http://library.duke.edu/blogs/techmentor/ http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/

bryan-hadaway

Forwarding to developers. Thanks, Bryan

erick

Well, do your 'custom code' options work independently for each install?

Andrew

Well, do your 'custom code' options work independently for each install?

dukelib

If I create independent child theme folders, the custom code works independently for each install. Kind of pain though. I thought custom code would mean custom code for each blog under the multisite versus custom code for that child theme.

bryan-hadaway

Interesting, someone else was interested in the reverse, they wanted it to be separate for all of them, I think that's the common desire. You could always manually insert a link to a CSS stylesheet in the the header.php of all of them and then style just that one stylesheet in one location. Thanks, Bryan

bass340

This actually is an issue and it is not really something that should be. I assume this is what Cynthia is going through, as am I. If this is not what she is going through than I am having what Bryan refers to as the "reverse". I simply set up wordpress multisite, install the platform and the child theme on the main site (abc.com). I've also set it up via multisite so that anyone with credentials can come along and set up a blog/site, xyz.abc.com -or- abc.com/xyz. The important part is that this can happen without the admin getting involved. Which it does. Problem is as it stands right now, if that person who just created their blog goes in to wordpress and selects your child theme, it is run over by the css in the main site's base.css file. While the setup can be changed, there is no way we can afford to do this manually each time someone creates a multisite blog and chooses to use the the Platform Pro child theme. In our case that is the only theme we plan to offer so this is a big issue. Please advise ASAP how these themes can be used on a multisite with the child themes so that each person can style their own (if they choose) and the master theme can be updated without issue.

Andrew

Will, couldn't the 'custom css' option be used to customize on multisite setups?