Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bhmedia

Custom CSS not saving issue...again.

bhmedia

I don't know why DMS2 does this sometimes but the custom CSS doesn't save. 

I've tried everything, assigned a template, emptied my browser cache, quit and restarted the browser...still no luck. 

So if I enter custom css it saves and is there. If before I refresh I go view it on the backend it's in the fallback as well. As soon as I refresh, it's all gone. 

If I save the custom CSS and publish without refreshing, then try and view the page in another browser (Safari) my CSS changes are not applied. Which leads me to believe, it never really is saving anywhere -- which is why it disappears on refresh. 

Any ideas?

Simon

We'd need an example of your custom css to test, otherwise we can just speculate.

bhmedia

This is the only code in my Custom CSS: 

/* Maroon gradient for page header */

.maroon-background { 
    background: rgb(53,2,1);
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(53,2,1,1) 0%, rgba(83,3,1,1) 100%);
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(53,2,1,1)), color-stop(100%,rgba(83,3,1,1)));
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(53,2,1,1) 0%,rgba(83,3,1,1) 100%);
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(53,2,1,1) 0%,rgba(83,3,1,1) 100%);
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(53,2,1,1) 0%,rgba(83,3,1,1) 100%);
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,  rgba(53,2,1,1) 0%,rgba(83,3,1,1) 100%);
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#350201', endColorstr='#530301',GradientType=0 );
}

/* Grey background used on homepage */ 

.grey-background { 
    background: rgb(142,142,142);
    background: -moz-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(142,142,142,1) 0%, rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);
    background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(142,142,142,1)), color-stop(100%,rgba(0,0,0,1)));
    background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(142,142,142,1) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);
    background: -o-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(142,142,142,1) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);
    background: -ms-linear-gradient(top,  rgba(142,142,142,1) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);
    background: linear-gradient(to bottom,  rgba(142,142,142,1) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);
    filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#8e8e8e', endColorstr='    #000000',GradientType=0 );
}

The "maroon" color profile is always there, but the "grey" color profile code disappears on refresh. I also posted regarding the full width navbar not taking any color changes and I'm wondering if this is all a result of settings not saving. 

The website URL is: http://www.lompocfirefightersfoundation.com

Simon

Do you get any sort of error in the browsers console when you save? Ive added your css and it saves.

bhmedia

No, there's no errors in the browser console or the Firebug console. It's really frustrating because I'm stuck dead in my tracks right now. Today I upgraded the site from Framework to DMS2 and am trying to rebuild it all in DMS. 

bhmedia

Also...if I add it directly to the Fallback in the backend, it saves. However, it doesn't show it on the front end in the editor, nor does it apply the css to anything. 

Danny

You have a cache plugin active, this is the reason as to why your custom CSS isn't being saved.

Please be aware that we do not actually provide support to users who have an active cache plugin. Cache plugins should not be active, when your site is still being designed and should only be active when your sites design has been completed.

Please search our forums, before posting!

bhmedia

There is/was no cache plugin active. 

This is the standard answer that you guys always give and it's never been true for a lot of us who have had this issue. There's an inherent issue that causes DMS not to save and/or apply Custom CSS or certain settings (like the color of the navbar I was having an issue of as well). 

I solved the issue by completely trashing the site and starting fresh. So far so good...but this isn't the first time this issue has happened and the team hasn't really come up with a good explanation for it. 

Danny

There was a cache plugin active, you can see this by viewing your page source and scrolling to the bottom. Which was there at my time of investigating your issue, it is actually still active now.

https://cloudup.com/cZe5pCylBKq

We never give a standard answer to any question, but your issue was caused by the fact that you had a cache plugin active when making CSS changes. If you didn't have a cache plugin active, then the plugin wouldn't have been printed in your page source which it was.

There are only really three ways in which your CSS won't save and these are:

1. You have a cache plugin active and have made changes/edits whilst it is active and/or you have a cache plugin active which isn't configured correctly. Cache plugins do not work by simply enabling them, they need to be carefully configured to work specifically with your servers configuration.

2. You have invalid CSS/LESS which causing a parsing error. This can be fixed by reviewing your code for errors and fixing them, making your code valid.

3. Your server has been configured incorrectly and it is causing issues and/or you're using shared hosting, which isn't an ideal hosting environment for a website running a dynamic CMS such as WordPress.

I do not use a cache plugin, as my sites do not receive high traffic (which is the only reason you should use a cache plugin) and I write all my code in a the Atom editor which has a linter extension, checking my code for errors. I have not once not had my CSS/LESS CSS not save.

I have just this moment added your domain name to a reverse IP checker and found that you're running your domain on a shared hosting package from the looks of it as  you have nearly 200 other websites on the same server. Therefore, if you're concerned about your sites performance, then you really shouldn't be using shared hosting to begin with, as all a cache plugin is doing at the moment is masking your actually issues which is your shared hosting.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?