Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jordangross

Categories not linking to proper display of posts in that category

jordangross
Hi there-

Background
- I've got jetpack installed and am using the "categories" widget in a sidebar. It displays perfectly, showing each category and the number of posts in that category in parenthesis
- permalinks is set to "post name"

Issue
- when you click any of the categories, you always end up at the same generic page, not a dynamic list of the posts in that category

Attempted & Unsuccessful fixes
- disabled all plugins; result: instead of linking to a page, just went to 404
- switched themes to twenty-fourteen; result: categories still linked to 404. Then when I switched back to dms, my home page was wiped out, all my settings, font changes, etc, were completely wiped. I put in a request from my host to restore from backup because the entire site was essentially lost (side-note: this also happens whenever dms updates, why?? It's SUPER inconvenient and frustrating)
- changed perma links to default, no change

Any suggestions?

Danny

Hi,

Can you provide a link to the site in question or the page where the widget is located please, so we can take a closer look.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Danny

OK, the issue you have is that for some reason the WP-Content/PostLoop section isn't active on your category pages. So resolve your issue, go to a cateory page with the DMS visual editor active and then replace the 404 section with the WP-Content/PostLoop section, this should then display your posts.

The WP-Content/PostLoop section is active on category pages be default, did you remove it at any point ?

jordangross

Hey Danny--

Looks like that worked.  I went to a category page, found that the content there was the same as another page (not sure why), deleted all the sections, added a content/post-loop and now it displays posts by category:

http://www.journeysintorah.com/announcements/

Only problem is, I lost all the content from the /chumash page that had been there previously.  Even though I saved that page as a template before modifying the category page.  Is there some way to save a page with all layout/content so that in case something happens I can always revert back?

Oh, to answer your question, I don't remember removing the PostLoop section at any point.

Suggestions on how to save pages w/ content & layout for the future?

Thanks,

Jordan

Danny

Unfortunately, you're unable to have custom templates for different category pages or other special pages such as posts etc... Therefore, if you want to keep your layouts, you will need to not edit a category page, as it will effect all other category pages.

However, if you add the WP-Content/PostLoop to your category page, it will display the posts for that category.

jordangross

The page the was lost wasn't a category page.  However, the name was the same as the category slug--is it possible that overlap was the culprit for the lost content?

Danny

Yeah most likely, you shouldn't be able to have a page with the same slug as a category, usually if this happens WordPress automatically recognises the problem and adds a suffix of -1 or -2 the slug.

• Similar Content

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Previous webmaster has made short codes assigned to certain categories. For example: [pl_section section="loops" id="003"]  displays all the Job posts for tech. 
      But where can I assign a short code for a certain category? I can't find where to add the loop ID for the category.

Thank you

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      I've created a new post category "Success stories" with Custom Post type UI. (in order to have a different layout for a different post category - blog post one layout, success stories another layout).
      New category "success stories" are "detached" from all the other posts, so they have a different layout, but the problem is that all of the success stories are also having the same exact content.
      So whenever I edit content (e.g. change body text) on one of success story posts, it also changes the content (body text) for all other Success story category posts. 

Question: Is there a way to retain this separate category with it's own layout, and have a different content for each individual post? I'm using Pagelins templates. 
       Thanks in advance.
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Is is possible to have different layouts for different Post categories? We have Blog posts, News posts and Case studies that all are posts, but is it possible to differentiate their layouts?
      So far when I change a post layout it affects all Post type pages. Could it be done somehow with creating a separate template? 
      Examples below
      https://queue-it.com/news/
      https://queue-it.com/blog/

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.