Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

balfred1345

Client made changes on DMS Parent Theme, Not Child

balfred1345

Hi,

I created a DMS1 site for a client a year or so ago, using Nick's Base Theme as the child theme.  After finishing my work on the site, the client does most of the content and styling updates on their own. 

When I went in to do a bit of maintenance, I saw that they had changed the active theme from the child theme to the parent theme (Nick's Base Theme to DMS 1.1.6).

This of course means that I can't upgrade to DMS 1.1.8 without losing their changes.

Do you recommend I just have them continue to make their content and styling updates on the parent theme, and not update the parent theme? I assume there is no way to get their changes on the Parent theme ported over to the child theme without overwriting everything on the child theme??

Thanks for any advice on this you might have.

All the best,

Bruce

Simon

Bruce, what exactly did they edit?

balfred1345

The client has edited on-page content (text and images), and added new sections (such as columns/textboxes) to existing pages as well as created completely new pages. They shouldn't be customizing CSS, but I did find some errant code in the custom CSS/Less area that they had inadvertently added. 

Thanks,

Bruce

Simon

As long as they have not edited any actual files you should be ok to upgrade, that being said always backup 1st ;)

balfred1345

Thanks Simon_P.

Just to make sure I understand correctly: When you say "as long as they have not edited any actual files" am I correct in assuming that you mean the LESS files such as section files in the wp-content/themes/DMS/less folder?

Thanks,

Bruce

Simon

Basically, if they have edited *any* file in a WordPress theme directory, when you update that theme the changed files will be overwritten.

• Similar Content

• khat
      By khat+
      I think I may have installed pagelines pro incorrectly, and then used features incorrectly. I installed first platforms framework theme and then the child, thinking I could do setup for child later. I tried to set up a background image, and tried custom css feature in pagelines dashboard. I had mistakes in my css, and just thought that if I deleted the info in the css custom feature in pagelines dashboard that the new information would overwrite the old info. The background image didn't respond at all, probably because I didn't have the child directory renamed. I then tried to use the LSS plugin to create css and added more css, possibly, somewhere -sigh-. I never did change the background image and get it placed properly. I used a workaround and in nested containers I placed a background image which worked well enough, so I moved on to try to create my nav bar/ menu bar. When I go to the Menus panel, there is NO area where I can place a menu on a page. I have read and reread and re- re- reread the instructions for placing a menu. I've used the pagelines editor to place a menu, however only HOME shows up. I've been at this for many hours. I've since uninstalled all of my pagelines items and reinstalled, thinking that it would restore all my changes to default, but no, it is still all there, with all my unresolved issues. I am completely at a loss as to what to do next.
    • pehja
      By pehja+
      Looking good so far ;-) Just wondered how it would work with child theme. I can't really use a child for DMS 2. And what if I decide to use another theme. I need a different child for every new theme i build with plattform 5?
      Thanks Peter
    • greatthingsllc
      By greatthingsllc+
      I have used the NavBar (Content Width) with blue background color selected.   The Parent Links are not clickable, only the child links.   I have tried with "Activate DropDown on Hoover" both selected and unchecked. 
      Only the NAVI (Content Width) allows the parent links to be clickable, but you can not select a background color.    The background color is a requirement from the end user.
      Thanks!
    • mundocaco
      By mundocaco+
      Hello, inexplicably few signs have appeared at the beginning of each excerpts, removing the option these signs disappear, but appear when I activate it again. You know why happen this?.

Yo can see online here: http://www.latitudestudio.eu/press-news/