Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sheilahoff

jQuery causing odd behavior

sheilahoff

I thought I posted this yesterday but it's not appearing in my content list at all. Very odd. Forgive me if it's a repeat...

The client hasn’t noticed yet but here site at http://www.myideallife.com is having some odd behaviors. When I go to an internal page sometimes I see only the nav and not the logo. And sometimes the body is tucked up under the white nav area slightly. In both cases a refresh fixes it. In case you don’t see it here are a couple of captures showing what I mean…

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0f63hgg18d

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0b23hgg307

Actually this one won’t refresh and correct at the moment! http://myideallife.com/coaching/selecting-a-coach/

Same issue on homepage: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0ed3hgg5c5

One dev noted:

The home banner image is a bit hidden when javascript is turned off. Doesn't that seem a bit odd? That means that the site styling makes it look this way, and there's something in the javascript that "fixes" it.

And Morris who uses DMS noted:

The issue arises from the jquery for the fixed top pusher. Quite why it is behaving in such a manner, I have no idea. I can only guess, but it may have something to do with multiple @media enquiries and inconsistencies across them. Yet this doesnt make sense. The jquery is fairly straight forward and is based on the fixed top height. I am guessing that the default fixed top height is 77px and that this is cached and being called rather than the actual fixed top height (if that makes sense)

But no one knows what I should do to FIX this. Morris suggested Danny might know! I hope so.

Sheila Hoffman | Hoffman Graphics | Seattle

Danny

Hi,

Firstly you have 3 errors on your site, two of which are related to a minify plugin and the other related to a missing .woff font file. We do not provide support when users have a cache or minify plugin active, as these generally are not configured correctly and therefore, cause all kinds of problems.

One dev noted:

The home banner image is a bit hidden when javascript is turned off. Doesn't that seem a bit odd? That means that the site styling makes it look this way, and there's something in the javascript that "fixes" it.

I have no idea what this dev is referring to, I have just gone to a vanilla installation of DMS, disable JavaScript and the logo image displayed as intended.

In regards to your logo not appearing, this could be related to the minify plugin and/or your custom CSS/LESS CSS used to style the NavBar in the way you have. I think the best course of action would be to completely remove all your custom code and see if the issue persists. If it does, disable all active plugins, and again see if the issue persists.

My bet is either your custom CSS, the minify plugin are the cause and/or both of them at the same time.

Please search our forums, before posting!

sheilahoff

Thanks for the helpful response. I'm out of office today but will have my dev look into this further with your pointers. Are we not supposed to use any caching at all? I have on the DMS section caching. Then I was using WordFence's Falcon Engine as the client had complained how slow it was. That seemed to cause issues so we switched to W3TC. Are there some guidelines on caching best practices as they relate to DMS? Thanks.

Danny

DMS section caching was removed from the Pro Tools plugin roughly three months ago, if not longer. As it was experimental, but due to too many users have poor hosting with poorly configured servers. Simon made the decision to pull the option from Pro Tools. Therefore, if you still have this option then you're likely causing issues to your site, as your host doesn't support the feature and you shouldn't even be able t enable the option as it is no longer available.

So I recommend you disable this option ASAP and update to the latest version of DMS Pro Tools.

In regards to using a cache plugin due to poor server performance, this really isn't the answer. A cache plugin really should only be needed if the site in questions receives high traffic. A cache plugin shouldn't be used to band aid poor performance, don't get me wrong it will improve performance, but only slightly and as I mentioned you're only band aiding the problem, which is cheap or shared hosting.

sheilahoff

I was running ProTools v1.7.1. and apparently ALSO running DMS Dev Tools .2! I was saying section caching but that was from memory. What I really meant was that I had the option to disable ALL caching which I had done during development and activated when live. I didn't realize that I was running two competing tools one of which was obsolete. I've now removed the ProTools. I'm not sure from this message if I should leave the new DevTool caching tool disabled or not. I just unchecked the option to Enable no cache mode

Thanks for waking me up Danny!

Simon

I was running ProTools v1.7.1. and apparently ALSO running DMS Dev Tools .2! I was saying section caching but that was from memory. What I really meant was that I had the option to disable ALL caching which I had done during development and activated when live. I didn't realize that I was running two competing tools one of which was obsolete. I've now removed the ProTools. I'm not sure from this message if I should leave the new DevTool caching tool disabled or not. I just unchecked the option to Enable no cache mode

Thanks for waking me up Danny!

The checkboxes in the dev tools totally disable the CSS/LESS compiler caches in DMS, leaving them turned on will seriously slow down a site, its there as a dev tool only.

sheilahoff

Right...so I have it UNCHECKED which means any cache settings in W3TC are in effect.

Even after fixing this plug-in conflict I'm still seeing issues on this site. When not logged in the homepage in particular loses its CSS. Sometimes it's other pages. And then there's the initial issue which is that randomly pages come up looking like they're hidden under the white navbar area. Refreshing fixes that. I don't know why either of these things are happening. I was hoping that removing the obsolete plug-in would be the ticket but it just happened again. Any clues appreciated.

sheilahoff

I am VERY confused now. After removing the Pro Tools I now get this error even though I have DMS DevTools installed! The only ProTools option in My Account is the 1.7.1 that I thought I was told was no longer needed and was replaced by DevTools! Which is it...do I need one, the other, or BOTH?????

Install DMS Utilities

Your site is "Pro activated" but we have detected that the DMS Pro Tools plugin is not activated. Grab this plugin if you have not installed it yet on PageLines.com → My-Account.

batman

Hi sheilahoff

I understand this

You need to update to the latest version of DMS Pro Tools, you need this installed.

You need disable this option ASAP the "DMS section caching"  at DMS Pro Tools if you don´t update, but the best option is the latest version.

You can see this

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/36753-pro-tools-update/

:)

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

sheilahoff

Thanks Batman. That link says there's a new Pro Tools offering as of today. But I was running the newest version until today's release. AND that thread is about issues. It does NOT make me want to immediately upgrade.

I was not running any section caching.

So to be clear I SHOULD have both the ProTools and DevTools installed.

sheilahoff

So would changing Browser Detection from php to jquery mode in ProTools possibly address the original issue in this post?

Simon

Im lost now, the checkbox in the dev plugin has absolutely nothing to do with W3TC.

My advice to you would be disable *all* these plugins.

sheilahoff

That's not a very clear communication! "ALL" these plug-ins? So do you mean the DMS ProTools and DevTools too? Or do you just mean W3TC? I'm assuming the later and that having both Dev & Pro Tools active is expected. Please verify this. Then, at this point I'm asking about two settings in DMS tools.

1) in DevTools there's a place that says No Cache Mode. When checked it says it Disables all caching including all CSS/LESS. Should that be check or unchecked?

2) in ProTools should Browser detection be in php or jquery mode given the original issue posted?

Simon

Danny remarked that the issue might be because of minification of all your javascript, enabling extra js from the pro tools plugin is not going to fix anything only make it more convoluted.

disable the the dev plugin, and the pro plugin, clear the W3 cache then turn it all off, then fix your styling issue.

sheilahoff

OK...clear message. Thanks. I thought the dev & pro plug-ins were necessary/recommended.

I'm not aware of what my "styling issue" is to fix it! But I'll see what I can do.

I've disabled both dev & pro plug-ins. I've cleared caches and unchecked everything in W3TC except the NewRelic tracking which is just synching with NewRelic.

So at this point is the site 100% cache-free? Or does DMS have other caching also happening that is out of my control?

Danny

I recommended updating the DMS Pro Tools as you mentioned section cache, which was an option and removed due to users poor hosts not supporting the feature and in return when enabled was causing all kinds of weird problems for them. That is why I assumed you were running an out of date version. Which was not the case, as it was a simple misunderstanding. So I recommend you enable DMS Pro Tools again, as it offers some awesome features and functionality.

In regards to disabling cache via the dev panel, you should only disable this when you're developing and not have it disabled on a production website, as mentioned by Simon it will cause performance issue. So please enable these options again.

Cache plugins such as W3 Total Cache and/or WP Super Cache, should really only be necessary on websites that receive high traffic. If the site is having performance issue before using a cache plugin, then the issue is most definitely a hosting problem, likely shared hosting. Using a cache plugin, along with reducing image size, minifying JS/CSS and using lazy load scripts or plugins is only masking the problem. Also, cache plugins needs to be configured correctly and match the server environment, simply checking options without knowing what they do or if the server supports it, will likely have the opposite effect to your site. I am not suggesting that you have done this, but most users who use these plugins do not configure them correctly or read the documentation.

For the most part, 99.9% all users performance issues are related to their host and not DMS. DMS has been tested on all major hosting providers and when tested, never had any performance issues.

In regards to your issue with jquery, the likely hood is either related to minifying or the script itself. As I am unable to recreate your issue of the logo image disappearing or not appearing at all.

Has disabling all cache plugins resolved the issue ?

sheilahoff

Thanks Danny. It's too soon to tell. So far I haven’t seen the lost styling. But I keep checking. I wasn’t seeing the body under the nav issue all day yesterday. But I just now found it again on one page. So whatever is causing that is still there.

I currently have both Dev & Pro tools disabled entirely per Simon's suggestion. He said to fix the styling issue but no one has told me what that issue is OR how to fix it.

sheilahoff

As soon as I turned on either of the DMS tools the site started doing the hiding under the top bar or dropping the logo (not dropping the css so far). So I've left them both off for now.

Can you tell me what, if any, caching is built into DMS when both tools are disabled? I have no other caching in place. Thanks.

Danny

You do not want to have those options enabled. Those two options are for when you're developing the website and they shouldn't be enabled, on a production website, as it can cause servers to go nuclear.

If you're having issues with your logo image hiding then it is either caused by custom code you have added, a custom script you have added or a plugin. As I am unable to recreate your issue using a vanilla NavBar. If you remove all your custom CSS you have used on the NavBar, does the issue persist ?

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?