Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vancityprettyadmin

Extra Home Page on Search Results

vancityprettyadmin

Hi there!

When you search for something on my website (www.curatedtaste.com) using the search bar in the menu, the results show two things:

1) The tittle and text excerpt of the post (which is normal)

Then if you scroll down a bit more, you'll find:

2) An entire new content/post loop of my webpage of the search results, sidebars, and basically a mirror image of my homepage without the magazine layout

Here is an example of the search restults: http://curatedtaste.com/?s=skirt

I know this is some sort of a template issue, but I don't know how to fix it because it looks like a mirror of my homepage, including the widgetized sidebars.  I'm terrified if somehow deleting my homepage/post loop.

Thanks,

Kendra

Danny

Hi,

When you're logged in, do a search so you can see your search results and then remove one of the post loops sections. Somehow you have managed to get two postloop sections on your template, I actually have no idea how you have achieved this.

By removing one of them, it should resolve your issue. However, as a precaution, please perform a backup just incase.

Please search our forums, before posting!

vancityprettyadmin

Thanks! I think it's a bug somehow because I haven't changed my template in months. Will removing the post loop section also delete the side bar? Or will I need to delete that too?

Thanks,

Kendra

Danny

Removing the WP-Content/PostLoop section will not remove the sidebar, you will need to remove that too if you do not want a sidebar present on your search results page.

However, before doing so, can you disable all active plugins and see if this is happening due to a plugin, as I am unable to recreate it.

vancityprettyadmin

Hi there,

Thanks.  If you just go to my website and search something ie. skirts, you'll be able see what I'm talking about.

Danny

OK, I see what is happening and not sure as to how you have actually achieved it. Basically, most of your sites content is inside the Header area of your site, which is not how you should have it setup. The header area in PageLines Framework and most themes for that matter, is a global area. This means that anything you add to that area is going to be displayed throughout your site on all pages.

So when you go to your search page which is a dynamic page the search results are populating both post loops. That is why you have two content areas.

So to address your issue, you're going to need to remove all sections from header template area. The only thing you want in your Header template area is sections that you want on all pages, so this is usually a navigation menu, a logo image.

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny,

Thanks for looking into this for me. Is there anyone that can help me do this? I don't know where to start. 

Thanks,

Kendra

Danny

Did you not create the site yourself ?

As all you need to do is reposition your sections from your header area to your template area. If you didn't design your site, I would speak to the person you hired to resolve your issue.

If you designed your site yourself and are not comfortable with fixing the issue, you can contact one of our third party store developers from our resources page - http://docs.pagelines.com/resources

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny,

I did design it myself, but I am not sure where I move the items you're referring to. Is this the one? (see attached) So basically I would move my slider, my column next to it, my horizontal ad, my content post/loop, and also my columns into the template section? Do I move anything else? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm so nervous about this!

Also, if I do this, mess it up, and don't publish the results, it won't effect my live website, right? So basically it's safe to play around with?

Thanks,

Kendra

vancityprettyadmin

Sorry! Forgot the file...

Danny

Yeah, as long as you do not click publish, you're still in draft mode and play around. However, I would perform a backup before playing around just as a precaution, incase you accidentally click publish ;)

Basically, all you need to do is remove any section you do not wish to be visible on all pages from your header. In regards to your double search results, you're going to need to remove the postloop section from your header, this will resolve your issue.

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny,

Thanks again for all your help.  I finally had some time to play around with this, and I'm having a few problems.  I moved everything from the header into the template section that I needed to, but in doing so, it deleted my Quickslider in the header. This isn't the end of the world, so I've since uploaded some new images to it.  

My issue now is that I'm testing my posts to make sure it worked correctly and I see that some posts still have both the main blog roll still in the header and also in the template section.  Other pages have it only in the template section (which is what we want).  I haven't published the changes yet, so it's not live, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Thanks,

Kendra

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny, 

One more thing - I have been going through post by post and deleting the mysterious blog roll/content section from the header, but I can't seem to find any sort of a pattern as to why it's working on some pages and why it's not on others.  The end result is that some posts have the content (the actual article) twice and others only have it once.

vancityprettyadmin

More information for you: When I delete the content/post loop section from the header and put it into the template (on the homepage), it temporarily stays theres.  If I then navigate to a post that doesn't have the content/post loop in the header and also the template, it stays there.  If I navigate to a post that has the content/post loop in the header and template (I'm still not sure why this is happening), the homepage reverts back to having the content/post loop in both the header and the template.  I have no idea what's happening here! 

Danny

Would it be possible for you to record your issue please. As the Header area is a global region, this means that any section that is added there will be visible throughout your site. Therefore, it is actually not possible for a section to appear on one page in the header and not the rest.

When recording your issue use either Jing or QuickCast please.

Danny

Would it be possible for you to use another service such as DropBox or something, as I am only downloading at 5kps which will take forever and I have 152mbt connection.

vancityprettyadmin

Sure.  I'd really like to get this sorted out today; let me know which email address I should use.

Thanks,

Kendra

Danny

Hi Kendra,

I have viewed your video and visited your website again and as far as I can tell, you haven't removed anything from your website's header region. I recommend you disable all active plugins and try again.

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny,

Correct.  I haven't published the changes yet because I was having the strange issues in the video that I sent to you. As shown in the video, when I move the content/post loop from the header into my template, it sometimes results in an article showing up twice on my website (the header comes back and then the article is both in the header and also in the template).  Are you suggesting I publish anyway? I just don't want to publish and then have the problem that I'm experiencing in draft mode now be live and we don't know how to fix it. Suggestions? 

Kendra

Danny

If you're removing a section from your Header, this should effect all pages, as DMS doesn't allow you to have unique headers on a page by page basis, as the Header, along with Fixed and Footer are global regions.

Therefore, if you're removing the WP-Content/PostLoop section from the header and it is still appearing on some pages, then I recommend you disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue. As what you're experiencing isn't normal DMS behaviour.

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny,

I'm sorry to bug you, but I need your help urgently.  I did what you suggested and now my posts aren't showing up at all.  My homepage is fine, but when you click on a post, the entire post content is missing. Please help!? 

www.curatedtaste.com

vancityprettyadmin

I forgot to mention that when I'm logged in the Pagelines editor, everything looks normal and I can see the posts.  But if I logout of pagelines and view the website as a visitor, the entire post is missing on each page.

vancityprettyadmin

Hi Danny,

Never mind - disaster averted.  It was something funny with the Pagelines editor.  I think I've sorted it out.

Thanks again,

Kendra

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?