Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bwdsl247

Bug - Clicking Customize or Switching from DMS Theme Messes Up Site

bwdsl247

Unless I am doing something wrong, I can confirm - and can replicate on demand - that DMS has a bug that causes the following things to occur whenever I click 'Customize' or go to Themes and switch to another Theme and then go back to DMS. 

(Danny, you'll be happy to know that before reporting this, I deactivated all my plug-ins :-)  
See DMS debug info below confirming this. 

Here's what happens when I click 'Customize' or switch Themes:

1. Custom CSS/LESS is wiped out.

2. Main site logo is replaced with DMS2 logo; other DMS sample content appears on Home page, Headers and Footer.

3. My existing post and page text and images are still there, but all headers and footers have been replaced, and all formatting lost.

4. Debug mode was ON before clicking 'Customize' or switching Themes; afterwards, it shows set to off.

There are currently no other users accessing the system. 

I can replicate it on demand and recorded a video showing what happens. I am uploading it and will post it shortly for you to see.

Is there anything I'm doing incorrectly, or is this a bug?

Thank you!

Scott

=====

DMS Debug Info

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/nas/wp/www/cluster-1349/bwise/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework URI
http://bwise.wpengine.com/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

WP_DEBUG
No

WP memory limit
40 MB

WP MAX memory limit
256 MB

PHP memory limit
256 MB

Mysql version

WP Max Upload Size
50 MB

PHP POST Max Size
100 MB

PHP Max Execution Time
3600s

PHP type
Apache2handler

WebServer software
Apache

PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host. Not necessarily a problem, but if the user needs FTP/SFTP to install plugins/themes then creating CSS files might be an issue.

OS
Linux

« Back

Simon

Clicking customise *should* just redirect to the front page. 

DMS does not use the WP customiser in any way shape or form. Please just don't click it. 

Your browser may be blocking the redirection some how, anti virus or adblock or something.

Simon

Yes i saw the video

Can you firstly update to the latest version of DMS, then confirm you have no adblock/antivirus type software that would block a javascript redirect.

bwdsl247

OK, I'll update to latest DMS version, then re-try. 

I am running 10.9.2 OSx - no adblock/antivirus software running. 

bwdsl247

Simon - the latest debug info after I updated DMS is shown below.... 

I recorded a video of the following if you want to see it...

So, after I updated DMS to latest version, this time, instead of clicking 'Customize', I went to Themes, and clicked the Pagelines Framework Theme to Activate it. 

Then, I reactivated Pageslines DMS Theme. 

Boom! My CSS was again nuked, debug mode turned off, footer and header all replaced with generic Pagelines sample content, just like before. 

Again, my Post and Page content is still there, but considerable work to fix site required in this scenario.

Yes, I have backups with WPEngine, but shouldn't have to resort to that.

I'm certainly not going to gratuitously click either Customize or switch Themes knowing the unfortunate consequences, but I don't think the answer is just 'don't click it'. I mean, DMS runs on WP, and users will click whatever buttons are visible!

By the way, after I updated DMS via the Themes page, the Theme update status page itself also has a 'customize' link that is one of only 2 links for someone to click, which the uninformed user could easily click. 

Unless you can convince me otherwise, I say this one's a bug.

DMS Debug Info

WordPress Version

WordPress Debug
Disabled

Multisite Enabled
No

Current Role
Administrator

Framework Path
/nas/wp/www/cluster-1349/bwise/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework URI
http://bwise.wpengine.com/wp-content/themes/dms/dms

Framework Version

PHP Version

WP_DEBUG
No

WP memory limit
40 MB

WP MAX memory limit
256 MB

PHP memory limit
256 MB

Mysql version

WP Max Upload Size
50 MB

PHP POST Max Size
100 MB

PHP Max Execution Time
3600s

PHP type
Apache2handler

WebServer software
Apache

PHP User
Posix functions are disabled on this host. Not necessarily a problem, but if the user needs FTP/SFTP to install plugins/themes then creating CSS files might be an issue.

OS
Linux

« Back

atcdomainsolutions
I actually had a client do this. Hit Customize and it did the exact same thing. Wiped all customizations out...formatting, etc. I was shocked but definitely seems to be a bug or something. I told her the same thing...don't touch it but if it is truly a problem, that should be disabled. I'm sure a lot of people would just assume that's where there would go to customize the site.

Simon
Wordpress in their infinate wisdom made it impossible to remove the buttons

bwdsl247

Welll... OK, I get that you can't remove the button, but surely you can control what DMS does when someone clicks it??

Simon

bwdsl247, yes we do.. the button opens an iframe via javascript. We have some javascript that intercepts it and redirects you to the front page.

Some people have browser extensions that block this behaviour, unfortunately there is no other way, WordPress will not budge on adding a disable feature :/

• Similar Content

• Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a week ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• mrhinsh
      By mrhinsh+
      I have found that many of the components, especially lists, do not work in the Edge browser. 
      For example https://nkdagility.com/ has 6 video boxes that only render in Chrome and do not show in Edge.
    • JawDesigns
      By JawDesigns
      Hi everyone,
      Flywheel have reported errors on my clients site 'www.racewaredirect.co.uk' and it's not loading. Can someone please provide some information on how to fix this? The site has never experienced these issues before.
      Thanks,
      James Wilson