Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caspersjan

Display single post in Content/Loop

caspersjan

Dear Pageliners, the answer may be very obvious, but is it possible to display a single post in the WP Content/Loop section (or indeed through any other section)? I have a shortcode (to display "Chronos" timeline, a Wordpress port of a JS timeline) that I cannot get to work through the MediaBox. It displays perfectly in a post though. How can I display that specific post within a page? I looked through the documentation but could not find any guidance on Content/Loop at all. Thank you for bearing with me on such a basic matter. Yours faithfully, Jan.

Danny

Hi,

You can configure WordPress to display just one post. However, this will be universal throughout your site and from a readers standpoint, it would be annoying to have to click the previous posts or pagination to navigate to your next post.

If the code works in a MediaBox, but doesn't display correctly, the likely cause is that the code you're using is an iFrame. If this is the cause then it may require custom CSS to work as intended.

If you provide a link to the page in question, where the MediaBox is being used, we may be able to assist.

Please search our forums, before posting!

caspersjan

Dear Danny, 

thank you for looking into this. It would of course be the best if it could work in MediaBox. I purchased SingleBits because I thought it would easily let me display just the one post, but perhaps it doesn't either (still it looks like a great section though!).

The MediaBox in question (with shortcode inserted) is here (under the heading TRAINING TIMELINE): http://animatinglibraries.com/wordpress/?page_id=175

The working timeline inside a single post is here:  http://animatinglibraries.com/wordpress/?p=1026

I hope you can figure something out. Chronos (the JS timeline) worked before (it didn't in DMS1 for some reason, I had to import it from a different site with iframe, but from DMS2 it could just be inserted. I am not sure what is wrong and I appreciate your help, as ever. Yours faithfully, Jan.

Danny

Can you try adding the shortcode to the MediaBox title field instead. If that doesn't work, can you provide a link to the plugin if it is free. If it isn't, can you send to danny at pagelines dot com and I will see if I can get it working in the NextBox section.

caspersjan

Dear Danny, I appreciate your efforts. I entered the shortcode into the title field - no timeline but now I get a frightening "OOPS, there may be an issue loading" message with a spinning red wheel... Is there a way to take it out again? I will send you the plugin and for good measure credentials to the site. Fortunately as far as I can remember all Pagelines problems I ever had were eventually solved thanks to yourself and your colleagues, or upgrades. So I am not too worried though spinning wheels are never a pretty sight! Thank you for your continuing help in this, and in general. Yours faithfully, Jan.

caspersjan

Dear Danny, it is a little confusing. The timeline is showing now, albeit with a big empty MEDIA box above it. But only when I am logged out. When I log in, the page cannot be accessed and there is the spinning red wheel. So I am half-way there, but not quite. Any idea what might be the issue? Greetings, Jan.

Danny

Yeah this is what I thought may happen. Basically, the MediaBox supports HTML and not JavaScript. Which is likely what is being included when you add the code or shortcode. The best way to implement something like this i.e. a shortcode that contains JavaScript is to use a hook instead of one of our sections. This is because the JS can conflict with the DMS editor, which from the sounds of it, is what has happened.

The only way to resolve this issue is to load your a page that doesn't use the template that uses the MediaBox with the shortcode. The DMS editor should load without any issue, then remove the template.

caspersjan

Dear Danny, thank you. I am not quite sure if I understand your instructions about the template. What I did before was to upoad the timeline on a different site and put it into the page as an iframe (I think I used some kind of plugin to achieve this). Maybe I'll have to go back to that.

You think that using a hook would work? Then perhaps this situation is a sign that I should progress to the use of hooks. I must admit that I have not the slightest notion what they are though I hear them mentioned all the time. But then it is not so long ago that I was flustered by simple CSS. I am happy to study and learn, especially if there is an immediate goal to be achieved. If you can think of a good introduction to hooks off-hand do let me know, but I'm sure I find something anyway. 

Thanks again for your advice and guidance. Yours faithfully, Jan.

caspersjan

Dear Danny, thank you, I'll read this. I also remember that once upon a time I purchased the Hooker section from the Pagelines Store. I never used it - maybe it will come in handy now! Greetings, Jan.

• Similar Content

• mtaus
      By mtaus+
      I'm trying to add a Careers page to a site to display job openings. The plan is to create a Post using a subcategory 'Careers' and then display those on the page. All of the post sections in PL seem to include images and there's no obvious way to remove them or include an excerpt from the post. 
      Any suggestions?
    • Dan Haddock
      By Dan Haddock
      Hi Pagelines team and wider community,
      I am looking to develop a single post page for my blog. I have read over an old article on the subject, however the link provided on achieving this goal was giving me security warnings. Is there any way I can get round this?
      Secondly, I have had a root around the .zip file provided on my sites backup, however was unable to locate any file in there with the name of Single.php. Does this file exist in the Pagelines theme?
      By the way, this is the unsafe article: http://support.pagelines.me/docs/customization/create-a-custom-page-template/ (Click at your peril).

• Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      How can I remove the "next post" links below each post page? 
      https://queue-it.com/cdn-blog/
      Before we had a related post section, but I can't find it among any functions, widgets etc. 

• tristanrodgers
      By tristanrodgers+
      Hi there!
      Hi would like to have the thumbnail photos on the left side and not on the top of the topic to the blog post. Where can i fix that?
      http://mc1r-magazine.com/blog/
      Greetings from Hamburg,
      Tristan
    • Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date