Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antipodes

pl-config.json size, performance & behaviour.

antipodes

I am in the process of making quite a big site, and I have a lot of templates, but only half as many as I had at the end of the design phase.

My problem is mainly about performance - the large config does seem to slow things down a lot, especially when editing.

The curious thing is this... it doesn't seem to matter what I delete the file size remains stubbornly big, and over 100,000 lines when de-minified and going all the time... it feels more like and time machine than a config file or even the old windows registry which needed cleaning quite often to keep performance good.

Is there anyway to deal with this ?

some details:

There are currently about 50 pages on the site, but almost all have an unique templates with perhaps 3-5 unique sections and a common footer.. typically a rev slider, some iBoxes, Text, Media and occasionally something else.

Ideally I would like to be able to 

Export ONLY global settings 

and

Export ONY the templates I need

I tried this but I still got a file over 2.5mb on a new site...I suspect there dis a lot of stale data in there but I don't know what to look for.

thanks

Danny

HI,

The DMS import/export options allow you to select specific templates already - https://cloudup.com/c0QqMKTFiKJ

Please search our forums, before posting!

antipodes

HI,

The DMS import/export options allow you to select specific templates already - https://cloudup.com/c0QqMKTFiKJ

Danny,

Yes thats what I have been trying, but even if I select just one template, the file is still huge and they all end being imported on the clean site

...and now its json has gone from 32k to 2.9m

Do you guys have any tool to analyse this  json export ?  I see a lot of PL drafts in there, and also if iI turn on custom post types I see a lot of these pl_drafts and more junk left by long deleted ninja forms.

I just want to reiterate the issue.

If I export just a single template; everything exports...(judging by the file size) and then when I import with templates only - I get EVERY template and the file is huge.  If this behaviour is not typical I can provide access to the test site.

thanks

Danny

Hmm, no you appear to be correct. I have just this moment attempted to export one template and appearing in the JSON file, was what looks like all my templates. I have reported this to our tracker on your behalf. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

antipodes

Thanks Danny, much appreciated

antipodes

I discovered something which might be related.., 

As there were a lot of 'draft entries' in my rather large json file, I started going through and saving the current config to the templates.  This had two effects, it reduced the size of the export, and cleaned up some lingering templates from the export candidates.  By lingering I mean, templates which had been deleted, but which 'hung around' in the template export list... even after the save/publish buttons were pressed a few times.

Tomorrow I will go through every template and see if this results in the list being completely cleaned.

One thing which doesn't make sense to me, is why this 'update template with current config' is necessary. I say that because, if you save/publish pages locked to a template, every page using the template gets updated anyway, with no way to undo that that I can see, perhaps I am missing something...?

antipodes

Danny

can I get a reference to the ticket ? I need an estimate of when this might be fixed, as I need to decide to spend a few days rebuilding the site with this issue, or wait.

thanks

Danny

The issue is in our tracker, which isn't public. It was in the past, but we decided to make it private due to some users asking support questions and not actually reporting bugs.

Our developers will review the issue, try to recreate it and then investigate it. Therefore, there is no ETA unfortunately.

antipodes

Danny, ...having been on the receiving end of 'give me an ETA' for about 30 years, I know the impossibility of giving an accurate one, but I would like to be kept in the loop (email is fine )with what the plan is.  My big issue is, do I plow on with bad performance knowing we can clean it up sometime, or do I rebuild from scratch ..or are both hopeless until a fix is in. 

In the meantime we have frozen all development - which is bad timing as we have about 5 sites close to going online...and a couple of deadlines missed.

We starting re-building the offending site from scratch.. which is at least 2 days work, but the file tipped over 1mb and I guess 30,000 lines unminified, and I just don't know if this is normal of symptomatic of something I may not be able to easily undo.  ...it seems like an awful lot of json for 20 pages/templates.

regards

thanks

Danny

If you contact our helpdesk, ask them that you would like access to our tracker, provide them with a link to this topic and your github username if you have one. If you don't sign up and provide the username and they should give you access, so you can view our tracker.

hello at pagelines dot com

antipodes

thanks,  I have been looking for a way to submit a ticket, but the doc points to a 404 error and apart from the github doc issue tracker where I already have one ticket..(looks like i need another) there is nothing I can find, frankly speaking it should not take 20 minutes to find it...

There are mentions of the help desk, but everything points back to this forum... ?

Danny

Our issue tracker is located on GitHub on a private repository. Therefore, unless you're given access, you will not be able to view and will be given a 404 on GitHub. The docs repo is not the issue tracker for PageLines DMS. If you contact our helpdesk, like I mentioned above and they grant you access, you will see the ticket in moments.

antipodes

thanks, but I am still looking for how to contact the help desk you suggested

antipodes

If you contact our helpdesk, ask them that you would like access to our tracker, provide them with a link to this topic and your github username if you have one. If you don't sign up and provide the username and they should give you access, so you can view our tracker.

HOW DO I CONTACT THIS HELPDESK - a link would be useful in this sort of update

The email is at the bottom of the post you quoted above.