Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fionnlavery

Docker custom post type template problem

fionnlavery

Hello,

For the site I am creating I want to use the the docker as a side menu for some sections of the site.

However I want to keep the pages I am linking to, to have different templates.

Currently I can make a custom post type and get them into the docker but it would appear I am unable to use different templates for all these pages as having them as custom post types seems to force them all to have the same template.

Is there anyway I can use the docker to link to pages that use different page templates?

Regards,

Fionn

Danny

Hi Fionn,

You can use the pages post type, but in-oder for Docker to work correctly, you need the Docker section on all your pages. So if you're using the pages post type, you should be able to use different templates, but each template will need to have the Docker section active otherwise, there is no point in using Docker.

Please search our forums, before posting!

fionnlavery

Cheers for the reply.

I don't suppose there's anyway I can have the docker side nav show specific sets of pages (with unique templates).

Danny

Are you referring to using Docker, let's say on Template 1 and as well as Template 2 i.e. both of which are different custom templates you have created ?

fionnlavery

The site is quite large and I'm using the docker on various sections(not dms2 sections) of the site as a nav within those sections. The pages within each section need to have different templates so I am unable to just use custom post types to group them.

I have tried copying the docker section folder via ftp, then editing and placing it back in with a new name into the section folder. This however only replaces the old docker which I would like to use also.

Is it possible to make customized sections based on the ones included with dms2 without replacing them?

Danny

I am not entirely sure what you're referring to when you say the following:

The site is quite large and I'm using the docker on various sections(not dms2 sections) of the site as a nav within those sections. The pages within each section need to have different templates so I am unable to just use custom post types to group them.

What do you mean by various sections not DMS 2 sections ?

Also, you can create various versions of DMS sections by using a child theme and creating a child of that section. However, customizing them isn't something we provide support for, as this is considered user created code.

fionnlavery

I've made a child theme and have activated it. I copied the docker section did a minor edit and changed the folder name to docker-2 and placed it in sections within the child theme.

It however just overrides the docker section. How would I go about using the old docker section and my new one without the new overriding all instances of the old docker?

Is there a specific line of code in the sections template I need to change to avoid overriding it?

fionnlavery

I managed to figure it out. Just had to change the class name and class to stop it overriding the old section. 

Cheers for the help Danny.

Danny

Awesome and no problem.

• Similar Content

• MissT
      By MissT+
      Hi there, the Filter By option within the Masonic section isn't working when a custom post type and custom category is selected.  If you swap to normal posts and categories then it works but sadly not with custom post types and custom categories.
      All posts are shown but when you click on the categories all posts disappear even though posts do have these categories. When you click All all the posts come back. I've tried this on two different websites with the same result.
      Many thanks in advance.
    • bwdsl247
      By bwdsl247
      I use Advanced Post Types Order plug-in and am trying to control sort of items on Docker.

I am using Docker to display a custom post type and it works great except Docker seems to be refusing to allow Advanced Post Type plug-in settings for the post type to override it's own sort settings --- which are limited (Date Ascending / Date Descending / Random).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    • bwdsl247
      By bwdsl247
      I am using 'Type' plug-in to create custom post types. 

However, when I go into Flipper (and some other DMS plug-ins) I don't see the custom post types I create in the Post Types drop-down; only Pages, Posts and Testimonials.

I assume Flipper supports custom post types, right?

If so, what settings should I look at to make it so all my custom post types appear in Flipper's drop-down selector for post types.

Thanks!
    • fionnlavery
      By fionnlavery
      Hello,

I am experiencing problems with the docker.
      So I've created a child theme and duplicated the docker section so I could customize the links used in the docker.
      In order to have the docker show up in the add section part of the dms2 front-end I changed the name and class.

I changed the class PLdocker to PLdocker2. This allowed it to show up in the add section menu without overriding the old Docker which I also need.

However since I changed the class, the script which makes the docker stick to the top of the browser doesn't seem to be functional.
      I assume when I changed the class name it threw something out of whack but I am unable to locate where I would change to code in order to accommodate the new class name.

I know you guys can't really offer proper support for customization but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
      Hopefully it's clear what the problem is, I'm not too hot on the php/scripting side of things.

Thanking you,

Fionn
    • sethoof
      By sethoof
      I am working on developing a research center for my charity's website (www.opfistula.org).  We will define a custom post type for the research papers we include.  I was hoping to use the blog template to display these custom post types. But I am not sure how to get the custom post types to display or how to get the sidebar information in the blog template (popular, recent, comments, tags) to link to the custom post type I have created.  It seems to be linking to the normal post types, which I am using for our blog page. 

The Research Center: http://www.opfistula.org/fistula-research-center/
      The blog: http://www.opfistula.org/blog/

Can you guys help?