Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

primetime

Testing Server Speeds

primetime+    2
primetime

Hi,

What websites or tools are you using to test the speed of your server?  This may be a generic question or asking the question incorrectly, so what variables do you look for when testing a server's speed and what is acceptable?  

I currently have a shared hosting plan but I am considering upgrading to a business shared plan. I don't want to go dedicated yet because my blog doesn't get much traffic.  However, it is important the pages load fast.  I do as much on-page optimization as possible.

Thanks,

Vincent

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi Vincent,

If you're worried about your sites performance, then you shouldn't be using a shared hosting package. Shared hosting isn't known for its performance, as host place hundreds sometimes thousands of websites on one server, all sharing the same resources.

Therefore, what I would recommend is switching your host if your performance is an issue. We recommend FlyWheel.

If you want to check your sites performance, you can use the following:

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

http://gtmetrix.com/

Please search our forums, before posting!

Simon    247
Simon

Also, upgrading from plan to plan will not necessarily mean they will put you on a less populated server, it just means they will give you more space/databases etc.

Ask the host for an example account that is using the business package and run a few tests on that.

• Similar Content

• eveliut
      By eveliut
      Hi there,
      My server provider has contacted me saying that my Pagelines website is spamming from their server. There's plenty of trojans and other viruses. I got a list from them and it's huge. Any ideas on how to fix this and how did this happen in the first place? They have already deleted some of the content from my site. Thanks.

• Buishi
      By Buishi
      For some reason, in one of my DMS installs, there are over 1,000 CSS files, what's going on? They're in wp-content/uploads/pagelines, and are numbered like so:
      compiled-css-core-1410368544.css
      compiled-css-core-1410373848.css
      compiled-css-core-1411613503.css
      Etc... all the way down to file 1,080:
      compiled-css-sections-1437665197.css
      The most recent one is today, of which there are two, the oldest is from Sept 30 of last year, which is close to when I launched the site.
      Ideas welcome, thanks!
      -Julian
    • Greg Ihnen
      By Greg Ihnen
      Our web host (WordPressEngine.com) recently had to move our site to a new server. After the move, we were getting error messages. The host's investigation revealed the following problem:
      "In this case, your site encountered issues after the migration because of how PageLines is configured. In the database, they have the full server path defined, which includes the server number. Since the installation was moved moved to a new server, the theme was essentially trying to pull data from the wrong server."
       This seems like something that would be an issue for anyone who is moving their site to another host, or upgrading their level of hosting which often involves the host moving the sites files to a different server. This seems like something that needs to be corrected.
       Is form-based support really the only kind of customer support that you give for technical questions? I hope someone sees this post.
    • Greg Ihnen
      By Greg Ihnen
      Our web host (WordPressEngine.com) recently had to move our site to a new server. After the move, we were getting error messages. The host's investigation revealed the following problem:
      "In this case, your site encountered issues after the migration because of how PageLines is configured. In the database, they have the full server path defined, which includes the server number. Since the installation was moved moved to a new server, the theme was essentially trying to pull data from the wrong server."
       This seems like something that would be an issue for anyone who is moving their site to another host, or upgrading their level of hosting which often involves the host moving the sites files to a different server. This seems like something that needs to be corrected.
       Is form-based support really the only kind of customer support that you give for technical questions? I hope someone sees this post.
    • lroberts00
      By lroberts00
      Can someone please help.

I had to transfer sites to a new server.  These are the only two pagelines sites that I had to transfer and this is what happened (same thing to both):

www.theshippingzone.net

and

www.landmarkstorage.org

its says: 

PageLines Custom LESS/CSS error.
      parse error: failed at `)` line: 1047