Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keith Vaugh

multi language site

Keith Vaugh

Hi All 

Working on a new multi language site where I need visitors to be able to select German, English or French for. 

In the past I have used PlatformPro and Framework along with qTranslate plugin to achieve this. I don't seem to see a method of enabling multi language inputs into DMS 2 (mastheads, iBox, text content etc...)

Anyone with some experience in this area know to how to achieve. Had a quick look at http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/translating-dms but don't think it covers what I want. 

Many thanks

Keith

Danny

HI,

Some of our users have used WPML to achieve a multilingual website. 

Please search our forums, before posting!

Keith Vaugh

Thanks Danny

Seems similar to qTranslate. 

But does it allow for the languages to be input into the DMS elements i.e. Masheads, ibox, text boxes etc... I can imagine it would work with wp-content section but does it work with other DMS sections?

Thanks

Keith

Danny

I haven't used either plugin, but my understanding is that just generates a new page.

info27

We built a multilanguage site using DMS 2 and WPML. Keep in mind Keith that the big problem is that the DMS post extractor sections (for example masonic gallery) in a multilanguage site, extract ALL the posts of that category in ALL languages. So, for example, if you have some news posts in German, English & French the masonic gallery will extract the same news in all the three languages available creating a total mess. We override that problem using meta-tags in the posts so, we built 3 different templates (one for every language) and in every template we configured the masonic post extractor with the correct meta. The best way to create a multilanguage site with DMS is, by the way, creating a dedicated template for every language...  

Danny

info27 - Thanks for your input. As I have no experience with multi-lingual plugins or sites. Can you tell me if this is how the plugin is supposed to work or is using WPML easier when using a different theme such as Twenty Fourteen ?

Keith Vaugh

info27

Thanks for the detail. 

This must be a short coming of DMS2. With qtranslate and legacy pagelines themes you have the option of inputing the languages for each post, page, ibox, etc... This option appears not to be available in DMS2. Would much prefer to continue the build in DMS but its looking more and more like I'll need to revert back to Framework for any multi-language sites. 

Danny

As far as I can tell, the issue you have is that in PageLines Frameworks the Boxes section is a custom post type, similar to pages and posts. So it's likely the plugin adds some functionality to these post types. However, in DMS iBoxes and other sections are not custom post types.

Keith Vaugh

@Danny 

In the case of qtranslate, extra title fields are available and extra tabs for each language appear in the content section.  As you say they are not custom post types 

screenshot-1.png

The next obvious question, is would you create seperate templates for each language and have them appearing in the correct region. 

Danny

I think the best course of action is to create a different template per language. As the plugin only appears to function with the WordPress content editor, which most of the DMS sections do not interact with as they're not a post type.

Keith Vaugh

If you create a different template per language, is the a method to get it to function on the live site in the region language?

Danny

Can you not set this via the plugin ?

Keith Vaugh

I'll have to check that one out. If its that simple then its an easy fix :)

info27

Danny using wpml with different themes is a lot easier... Normally the extractors works as intended (they show you only those in that language) but as i said using custom meta tags is a workaround. BTW the only "safe" mode to implement multilanguage with DMS is using dedicated templates for every language... (so, for example, if you have an homepage in english & Italian you should create 2 identical templates, one for italian and one for english and localize the text elements inside the single dms sections)...

antipodes

info27

We had been successfully been using DMS2 and WPML, however one issue has been that for anything other than the main language, the  [pl_site_url] in sections, for example revslider does not appear to work, whereas full url does... I am wondering if you found a way around that ?

thanks

Keith Vaugh

antipodes

Found the same problem, consulted with the translation plugin and the I think Danny has raised the issue with the pagelines developers. 

I have two fixes that have worked in my case. I am using polylang and there is an option to use different domain names for each language therefore I have employed 

www.domainname.com - for the english version

www.domainname.fr - for french version etc...

The other way around it is to download the .json file for the site, and do a search an replace for [pl_site-url] replacing it with the full domain name, then importing the modified .json. I choose not to go this route as I was unsure what would happen with updates and edits in the future. I have this working on a local install with no issues.

antipodes

keithmagvacom

thanks for your reply, I think I will go the .json file changes, but let me ask a few things.

1. did you try fr.domainname.com ? as an alternate to buying a new domain per country - I wonder if that would work.

2. WPML Vs Polylang -- I saw you were doing some research on wpml and alternatives,  can you tell me why you went with polylang over wpml ? especially with regards to compatibility with DMS.

3. Templates - All pages need a unique template for language ?  I guess there is no way around that ? - I already have a lot of page templates

thanks once again 

Keith Vaugh

antipodes

As I stated earlier not sure if the changes in the .json is the best approach 

1. We already had the localised domains that we were concerned with so it was the obvious choice. I am sure we could have set up sub-domains. One think to consider is that when editing the site in future, you always need to go back to the original language because the DMS editor does not appear when on a localised version - this is a real pain

2. Cost - wasn't prepared to pay for WPML when I was unsure if it would work. On the WPML forums there was no real help for pagelines users with the general comment to contact the pagelines developer for assistance. As you can imagine its a plugin that pagelines does not own so therefore they can't give assistance. I was not encouraged by WPML passing off the issue when they were the plugin developer.

3. No way around.

One thing that I have discovered is that multilanguage sites build on pagelines is possible but very complicated and repetitive in the work. It is not an efficient solution and needs considerable time investment. It is something that is badly needed.

antipodes

@keithmagvacom - thanks Keith wpml support is very ordinary in my experience,  ...but I had paid before I had the misfortune.

Danny

Is pagelines prepared to formally support multi-language and if so which platform do/will you support ?

thanks

Danny

As far as I am aware, our developers are looking into ways to make DMS compatibility with WPML better. As WPML is a premium plugin, so I am unsure as to what the issues some users are having. However, as far as I know, some users have used WPML without any issue, the same goes for PolyLang.

antipodes

Danny,

I think this thread and more like it point out the issues...

WPML would seem to be the most pervasive of the multi-language plugins, and it's premium and it does things in it's own way, which is why I ask the question.

Given the myriad different ways to implement multi-language, which one/s does pagelines support, or do you simply not test multi-language ?

thanks

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?