Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael_J

Layout Help

Michael_J

Hi. I'm trying to do a very very simple layout and I know it can be done with DMS - I'm just having problems because things "aren't sticking" when I create them.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's all I want:

Landing Page

1. Landing Page is the Blog page.  No columns, no sidebars, no widgets.
  2. Blog page is Newspaper; First is full width. 
  3. Thumbnails are Full width both on the Blog page and on the Post content pages. (This is where I'm having a problem: I have it set to Full width for both, but when I go to a Post content page, it's a left-justified thumbnail. See attached screenshot)

Post Content Page

1. Thumbnail/Featured Image is full width, no bleed, all the way across the entire width of the page, at the top.
  2. Below that, two columns.
  3. Main column is the Post content.
  4. Side-bar column for Widgets.

Is this possible?

Danny

Hi,

I am not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve by displaying a post on a landing page ? Also, would it be possible for you to provide an example of both the things you want to achieve, as if I understand you correctly. You will most likely require a lot of custom code.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Michael_J

Hi Danny, thanks for the reply.

1. The landing page is the posts page. I figured out how to do it.  It's on http://www.qamera. com

The only thing I'd like is for that first 'wide' header photo (which DMS calls 'full width') to actually be full width, i.e. spread across the entire width of the page. I simply want to emphasize the Featured Picture of the first (most recent) post at the top of the page.  Not sure if that is possible?

2. Click on any of the posts, to see a Post Content Page with sidebar column.  I figured out how to do that too. Very happy with it.  Again, it would be great to have the Featured photo in the Post Content Page be full-width, to emphasize it.

The first photo shows how it currently looks in both. The second photo shows what I would like to see. (I realize that the first is a Post Content and the second is a Page; just sayin', Posts would look really great if the featured photo was full width, no bleed.)

LCAU0lK.jpg

VB9E5Zq.jpg

Danny

Unfortunately, it is not possible to have the Featured image display full width in DMS out of the box. As the featured image is wrapped inside the section div along with the title and content. To make the image full width would require either rewriting the WP-Content/PostLoop section or using extensive CSS. The CSS option isn't really an option in my opinion as it would require the use of negative margins and overriding the image size. Also, by using negative margins you will likely need to use media queries to resolve the image size on mobile devices.

However, one of our store developers is working on a single post section which allows you to configure the single posts layout how you like. I don't have all the details as of yet, but may be just what you're looking for. I have ellenmva mentioned the developer of the section who may be able to provide you with more information if the section can do what you're trying to do.

I will also, add this to our tracker as feature request on your behalf.

ellenmva

Michael_J I have a new section that should be on store by the end of this week that will do what you would like. It's called Single Bits and contains two section, one that is like the Canvas Area with extra options including using Featured Image as Background and then the Single Bits section which breaks the post into parts -- Post meta, content, featured image, etc.

I'm still working on the demo site to showcase Single Bits but you can take a peak, http://single-bits.elsue.org/.

Here is a screenshot showing the Featured Image full width as the Background to the sections in the container. I have the post title and some post meta showing.

elSue_Single_Bits___Example_Post.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

www.elsue.com www.betterdms.com

Aires
Awesome can't wait to purchase :)

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

ellenmva

Aires"] and @[member="Michael_J Single Bits is now available on the PageLines Marketplace. Let me know if you need any help with anything.

Best,

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

Aires
Awesome can't wait to put it to use

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Michael_J

Hi @ellenmva ,

I purchased and downloaded.  But there are no instructions for what I do next. Sorry, I'm new to downloads and there is no documentation and I'm not clairvoyant. 

ellenmva
Hi Michael,

Here is a tutorial showing you how to setup a template for a single post type.
http://single-bits.elsue.org/lessons/create-your-first-template/http://single-bits.elsue.org/lessons/create-your-first-template/

The Single Bits container acts like the Canvas Area that holds your sections in the template. So drag a Single Bits Container into the template area on a single post or custom post page. Then you can add the Single Bits Section to the container and select which part of the post.

You can also drag any DMS section that works on a single post type like columns, to organize your sections.

Look at the tutorial, let me know if that helps. I am working on adding more docs, the sooner the better, sorry about that.

Ellen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

Michael_J

ellenmva perhaps my previous email was not clear. I downloaded single bits from the Club site. What do I do next?  There are no instructions.

I'm assuming that I somehow install single bits into my DMS but, again, as I said, there are no instructions. Anywhere.  

ellenmva

Michael_J Ah, no problem. There are instructions, the link is at the bottom of the product page on PageLines, will ask to see if button can be put next to demo link. Here are the installation instructions, http://www.pagelines.com/docs/single-bits/, it is installs like a normal WordPress plugin. Then check out the tutorial on how to use the section.

Let me know if you need more help. 

Best,

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

ellenmva

Michael_J Another doc on installing sections is here too http://docs.pagelines.com/configure/pagelines-store. There are also some other great docs in http://docs.pagelines.com/ about using DMS in general you might find helpful. Just in case you haven't seen that site yet.

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

Michael_J

ellenmva

There are 2 issues that someone needs to solve.

1. Here is a screen shot that shows the confirmation email from Pagelines. It says "download".

• It does not say from "from where".
  • There is no link
  • There are no instructions.

7QsZpGq.jpg

I finally intuited that I might just find it on the Club page. It was there.  I then downloaded.  

2. After that, no instructions and no links. Anywhere. And, no links on that Club page, to any information anywhere about what to do.

AM9TUIB.png

ellenmva

Michael_J Just to make sure, you were able to download the product once you intuited where to find the download? So now you have the zip file to install?

Or does the Download button not do anything?

If either case,I'm passing this on to Danny who is with PageLines and can help with those issues. I am a 3rd Party Developer who sells on their marketplace, I can help you with any issues once you get the plugin installed.

Best,

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

Michael_J

ellenmva yes I downloaded by clicking the download button in the Club area.  There are no links on the Club page that explain how to install anything that has been downloaded.  You referred to a "the link is at the bottom of the product page on PageLines" but your link goes to this page: http://www.pagelines.com/shop/post-layouts/single-bits/  and on that page, after scrolling down, all I see is the purchase button:

Tn3jFjN.png

ellenmva

Michael_J"] The link I mentioned to have move, the link I gave you,  http://www.pagelines.com/docs/single-bits/, is located at the bottom of the product page in the author box, sorry for not being clearer. That link may be more beneficial at the top of the page next to the demo link yet I do not have control over how PageLines has the product page set up, therefore if you have issue with it please take that up with @[member="Danny.

Single_Bits_for_PageLines_DMS.png

If you need help in how to use Single Bits will do my best to help resolve an issue or suggest how to do something.

Best,

Ellen

Ellen Moore

Pagelines Developer

Michael_J

HI ellenmva"] and @[member="Danny,

I design software.  Nobody has time to wade through 'documentation' just to install the product.  (People will however spend some time to set it up so they can use it. Minimal time, at that.)

All they want is the one sentence that it takes to inform how to install the product after downloading.  Here is what I would write:

"After downloading, simply install the zip file as a Plugin from within Wordpress, and activate. This link explains how to use the product once you have installed it."

Just my two cents.

Danny

Michael_J

All products purchased will be available from your PageLines account. In regards to installing them, all products are installed via the WordPress backend, if it is a theme, you use the theme installer, if it is a plugin or a section, you install it using the plugin installer.

Now you topics original question has been answered. Therefore, if you have any other questions related to your account, please contact our helpdesk. If you have any other questions regarding DMS and issues, please create a new topic.

Michael_J

Danny,  Thanks for the clarification!  This is a very useful piece of information to make obvious to users, without having to dig down into documentation.  I'm sure it may appear obvious to some who frequently install sections, but for those who are new, it is an essential bit.

Danny

No problem.

• Similar Content

• Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a week ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• JawDesigns
      By JawDesigns
      Hi everyone,
      Flywheel have reported errors on my clients site 'www.racewaredirect.co.uk' and it's not loading. Can someone please provide some information on how to fix this? The site has never experienced these issues before.
      Thanks,
      James Wilson
    • MissT
      By MissT+
      Hi there,
      I've got an issue with 3 websites built with DMS since I migrated them from http to https that I need help with please.
      When any changes are made - e.g. new posts added or existing posts amended - certain sections of the live site seem to break e.g. image headers hang and don't load (b/g on canvas section), sliders hang and don't load (Revslider), flipper section doesn't load.
      Logging in and then clicking 'Edit the site using DMS' seems to fix the problem. Often if I try to open up another browser window to edit the site / re publish I'm unable to as the page wont load / hangs while trying to load.
      Any ideas how to fix this? On a couple of the sites I've installed a caching plugin as I thought it might be a loading speed issue but it's still happening.
      Website URL's can be provided privately.
      Many thanks in advance.