Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nadielp

Masonic Problem(s)

nadielp

Hello Everyone,

It seems that a recent update of DMS to 2.1.4 inadvertently altered my customization of the masonic section. I had it displaying in posts 2 -up down the page. It now is displaying 4 -up. I cannot seem to make any useful change to that. The code I had in place was  

.row.row-set > [class*="span"] {

width: 48%;
}

This has no effect at all now.

I am having the same problem with the custom CSS that was repressing the Masonic header info.:

#site .masonic-header {
display: none;
}

This also has no effect on the display.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
nadielp

Danny

HI,

Can you provide a screenshot of what it looked like before as I am not entirely sure what you mean 2 up?

Once I have an idea, I may be able to assist you.

Please search our forums, before posting!

nadielp

Hi Danny,

I don't have an old screen shot so I made a quick visual...When all is said and done I want masonic to look like this and also only show the image, excerpt and title of post...

Thanks!nela_mockup.png

Danny

I've just added the CSS you posted above to my test site running the latest version of DMS and it is working as intended. Therefore, if you have CSS that is not working, then you likely have a CSS error somewhere in your CSS. Which means you're going to need to review your custom CSS.

nadielp

Odd, It isn't reporting any errors. I guess I will remove all of the code and add it back piece by piece. I will update this once I do that. Thanks.

nadielp

Hi Danny,

I am experiencing some really odd behavior from the site. As I add back sections of code to the custom css it will only accept one or two statements...after that it drops anything else I add. Additions do not display, I add the section of code, hit cmd enter, then publish, then refresh...once it refreshes the code I added (after the first bit) is gone. Order of addition or any particular bit of code doesn't appear to matter...it behaves about the same no matter what the particulars are...except if I add all of the code (not including the two alterations for masonic above) at once. I really am at a loss at this moment. 

Here is the rest of the CSS:

.revslider-container {
  width: 92% !important;
  position: center;
  padding: 0px;
  max-height: 600px !important;
  overflow: hidden;
}

.revslider-container {
  left:53px;

width:90% !important;
}
#revsliderurppd4w .pl-area-wrap {
-webkit-transform: none !important;
transform: none !important;
}
.pl-new-loop .hentry.single-post .metamedia {
    display: none;}

/*--iBox--*/
.ibox-wrapper .ibox-text h4 {
  color: #ffffff;;
  margin-bottom: 5px;
}

.ibox .ibox-text {color: #ffffff}

#mediaboxui27s8  .pl-section-pad {
  padding: 0px;
}

.revslider-container h2.slider-text {
  margin-top: 6.5em;
  ;

}
.revslider-container h2.slider-text {

background-color:rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
}
.revslider-container h2.slider-text small {  
           line-height:.90em;

}
.tp-bullets{display:none; visibility:hidden;}
.tp-bannertimer{display:none; visibility:hidden;}

.navbar.navbar-content-width {
    border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
    font-size: 18pt;
    letter-spacing: 2.5px;
    word-spacing: 15px;

min-height: 0px;
}
.section-navbar .navbar .navline > li {
    padding-left: 2.1em;
    padding-right: 2.2em;

}

nadielp

Update:

I managed to input almost all of the css. I had to add it back in small sections, often needing to re input the code several times with each bit to get it to be persistent. All the customizations are working for now and I see no signs of CSS errors. This makes me wonder what is going on with this site. Could it be the hosting? I checked memory and it has the minimum requirement...but I know there are many more aspects to than just the allocated memory... At this point I am just trying to find some way to ensure that the site is stable since I am not sure what is happening. 

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Danny

I would highly recommend writing your custom CSS in a code editor that supports linting, linting checking your code for errors> The two code editors I would recommend would be Atom.io or Sublime Text, these two have packages that you can install which will check your code on the fly as you write it.

Once you're happy with your custom CSS/LESS CSS and have zero errors, add the code to your custom CSS in DMS. That is how I do it.

In regards to adding your sections in small snippets, that is rather odd, if your code is valid then you should just be able to copy and paste all of it without any issue. Therefore, it is likely that you have some kind of error, which is why I mentioned the code editors above.

If you can provide a link to the site in question and enable DMS debug mode we can check some of your server settings and see if there is anything our of the ordinary. Also, did you disable all active plugins and see if this resolves your issue ?

nadielp

Hi Danny,

I have the site in debug. Link is http://nela-pow.org/.

I deactivated my plugins and they appeared to have no effect on this issue. 

Thanks,

Daniel

Danny

If you're still having trouble adding your snippet of CSS, then can you record the issue using Jing or QuickCast please. Also, I viewed your debug information and noticed you're using a security plugin, these plugins don't really do anything except for wreak havok on your WordPress installation, causing all kinds of things to fail.

If you resort to using a security plugin, then the issue is your host, any decent host wouldn't require you install one of these security plugins. I think the best thing for you to do would be to stop using it and switch host to someone like FlyWheel.

nadielp

Unfortunately, it isn't my site...I also didn't pick the hosting. I don't like this particular host at all but many, many people use them so it is something I just have to work with. The client also insisted on the security plugin as they have had wordpress security issues in the past...likely due to the not so awesome hosting. I will make a case for loosing the security plugin though. So far my custom CSS is behaving. Thanks for you help with this and the feedback and tips. I really appreciate it. It has made it easier to see where the problems may actually be. 

Danny

Yeah, the issues you're having are likely caused by the hosting environment or that security plugin. Usually the cause for issues with CSS not loading are as followed:

1. The CSS has errors, therefore, you're going to need to review your CSS. This is why I recommended using a code editor with linting package active:

https://atom.io/packages/linter-csslint

https://sublime.wbond.net/packages/SublimeLinter-csslint

2. The CSS isn't actually valid i.e. it is not targeting the correct class/id.

3. There is a plugin or plugins causing issue, that is why we ask all users to disable all active plugins.

4. The host has configured the server in such a way that makes it virtually impossible for most powerful WordPress themes to work as intended.

I would highly recommend contacting your client and informing them that if they're concerned over their sites performance and security then they need to pay the money for decent hosting. In regards to hosting you most certainly get what you pay for and as for these security plugins, I really do not see the need for them. If you pay for a decent host, then it is up to them to make sure your site is secure and protected, not the user. That is why whenever I get the chance, I tell all our users to look into FlyWheel, as some people pay like $1 per year for there web hosting which is just shocking in my opinion.

Tell your client, that these guys are awesome, know there stuff and provide an excellent service with a secure environment that doesn't damage the possibility of running DMS or any other powerful WordPress theme.

http://getflywheel.com/

If he/she requires any more proof that his/her current web host is shocking, show him/her this image - https://cloudup.com/cHksMm7Dm4X

That screenshot is me running a reverse IP check on his/her domain, the result is that there are 999 other domains/websites running on the same server as your clients domain/website, this is called Shared Hosting and is extremely poor. This means that all those sites are running the same server resources as his/hers.

nadielp

Thanks Danny, I agree on all your points. I hadn't actually considered the possible issues caused by the security plugin but that makes sense and yes the host in question sucks...I actually cringe when I get any project that is using this host. Thanks for you time and always helpful input and assistance. 

Danny

No problem.

• Similar Content

• Susan
      By Susan+
      I have three items in my Masonic section. I would like them to center on the page. Here is the page on my staging site. What is the CSS code to do this? I don't see another option to handle this.
      Thank you.

• Susan
      By Susan+
      Please tell me how to remove the date on hover from the Masonic section. The dummy for this page is here.
      An older post here showed the following for it (below) but it does not work (anymore?).
      #site .pl-center-cell .metabar { display: none; } Thank you.

• MissT
      By MissT+
      Hi there, the Filter By option within the Masonic section isn't working when a custom post type and custom category is selected.  If you swap to normal posts and categories then it works but sadly not with custom post types and custom categories.
      All posts are shown but when you click on the categories all posts disappear even though posts do have these categories. When you click All all the posts come back. I've tried this on two different websites with the same result.
      Many thanks in advance.
    • Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.