Sign in to follow this  
smitzer

Newbie floods forum - sorry

smitzer

Hi, I'm fairly new to Wordpress - though not to HTML. I love your work, so I purchased the iBlog theme. I found the Dashboad tricky, so I upgraded to the Pro version. However, I'm finding the tools really difficult - and the forum hasn't answered my questions. Apologies, as this is probably me being thick! My test site is http://www.copywriters.co.uk/database/ My issues are: 1) How do I narrow the overall size of the web page? 2) How do I remove the datestamp/name/comment on postings (I followed the forum suggestion but my updated core css file didn't do the job. NB: sometimes the forum says replace a file, eg. 'custom css' but doesn't say where this file exists) 3) How do I remove the footers/links 4) How do I remove the white space that appears between the header and any post entries like it appears here [url=http://www.copywriters.co.uk/database/?p=7]null Sorry for the Qs. Best rgds Steve

cmunns

Can do all this with CSS, which is probably easiest. Since you know HTML are you familiar with FireBug. That will help tremendously to identify selectors. e.g. narrowing the page `#wrapper {width:950px;}` etc, etc. Also, your menu appears to be acting funny

smitzer

Thanks. No, I don't know firebug, though I can check it out. If it highlights the CSS items that needs changing - can this all be done in one CSS file in particular (with a text editor) - or various ones in the folders. What's happening with my menu? Looks Ok from here. Thanks for your help. Steve

michaelmiles

Steve, The 'custom' CSS that you will be writing goes into a box called 'Custom Code' found in the theme's settings panel. That answers question number 2 that you have. If you find that area, then you can add to CSS box as much as needed. Whatever you put in the CSS box (in custom code settings) will overwrite the actual .css files. That way you don't need to go editing source files and if you muck it up, you can just delete the last thing you did and it goes back to normal. So, see if you can get the #wrapper example that Adam gave you to work in custom code, then we can move on to deeper stuff.....

smitzer

Thanks, that's brilliant. I've found the CSS box and can make the changes, so that's much appreciated. I can see Adam's wrapper doing its stuff. However, I'll have to change the main frame and sidebar width to stop them busting out when I go towards 800px. Just one quick question. I've managed to create a static page ('Welcome') as my home page. But I don't particularly want the heading Welcome appearing on this page and in the top nav. Is it possible for this page to basically appear *only* in the top nav as the home icon, and the headline on the actual page to say whatever I want (ie. the name of my web site?). Many thanks again!

smitzer

With that last point, I just managed to use the 'parent' way around the problem. However, I don't really want 'welcome' appear in the sub-nav above the heading. Is this avoidable? Many thanks.

michaelmiles

Steve, I don't have your theme, so we have to check a couple of things here. In a different theme (WhiteHousePro3.0) this is an option. So may it is in yours. This option is mentioned here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic.php?id=2685 If there is no option, then the directions to do what you want are outline (towards the bottom) here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic.php?id=2602

smitzer

Thanks again, I'm using the iBlog Pro theme. I like the theme's house icon as my home button. But when I click on it and my static home page appears, I don't want any sub-nav link to also appear in the header. I'll read through the links and see if these answer this. Thanks again. :-)

smitzer

Thanks again for your help. But the links seem to advise people on how to replace their stock home page icon with a customised one. I'm very happy with the home page (house) icon with iBlog Pro. My issue is that when I create a static page for the home page, I only want it to be triggered by the home page icon. I don't want the actual name that I give the page to *also* appear in the top navigation (either is a main link or a sub-nav link). So it's about how to avoid this secondary way (of getting to the static page) from appearing as a link at the top. Any help appreciated! Thanks Steve

smitzer

If you visit my web site you'll see what I mean. Also, I don't want the link 'About' highlighted. It's like this because the static home page is a 'child' of it. Otherwise the home page title appears in the top-nav. Hope that makes sense. Sorry again for the newbie Qs. Help appreciated!!

cmunns

To avoid this problem create your menu manually in Appearances - Menus It is the new system since WP3.0

smitzer

Done it. Fantastic. You're a star! Lots of tasks to go. But that's a big. thanks!