Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Thomas

Connection flood to Port 80?

Rob Thomas+    7
Rob Thomas

Has anyone ever heard of this? 

I host my active sites on Flywheel. They're totally the best.

But I have some legacy sites that I've maintained on A Small Orange for the past year (they were originally with Living Dot, but I, sadly, left them over a billing dispute, and regretted it ever since). I was doing some routine maintenance on a site hosted at ASO over the weekend and, repeatedly, the following happened: A Small Orange blocked my IP address because they said there was a "connection flood to port 80." The only thing I was doing was editing (using the latest update in DMS2) when this happened (it usually happened after I tried to save changes/edits). I only had one page open and in use when this happened. It happened again today and ASO never responded to my repeated requests for help, so I just moved all those legacy sites over to WH Geeks (they were fast and seem okay for these type of legacy sites I need to host somewhere other than Flywheel). 

Anyway, before I go back in and do any editing on these sites, I want to make sure this isn't something that people know about, or that it is a DSM2 related issue or what might be the cause of something like this ... basically, ASO was totally useless about why something like this would be happening. No suggestions, no clue, no shiznit. 

Simon    247
Simon

Hmm, well maybe its because when the editor is open it loads quite a few javascript files, plus the images on the page of course, but im assuming that host realises that.

Yes you can have IP rate limiting for IPs thats how most ISPs, hosts, and CDNs do it. In fact thats how everybody blocks DDOS attempts, but ive never EVER heard of a host rate limiting a logged in user, just shows how awesome they are i suppose ;)

Rob Thomas+    7
Rob Thomas

Thanks, Simon ... Yeah, I have had nothing but headaches with ASO. I urge everyone to steer clear of them.  

• Similar Content

• danigurgel
      By danigurgel
      Hello,
      I have a connection issue with my Pagelines Platform 5 Installation:

I have already tried inserting define( 'PL_SSL_NO_VERIFY', true ); into my wp-config.php file. Did not solve it.
      I am unable to solve it as explained in the "Readme first" posts, because the hosting service refuses to whitelist those domain/IPs listed. 
      I am able to manually download any files I might need to, though. It is only my wordpress installation that cannot connect to those servers, not my computer.

So my question is pretty straightforward: Is there any way I can bypass adding the account and add any new plugins, extensions and updates manually? It would be my best choice, I guess.
      Thanks
    • Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!