Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mspiegel

Moving from one directory to another (White Screen of Death)

mspiegel

Normally, when I move a Wordpress from one directory to another, it's not really much of a problem. But even with all the standard protocols, the DMS site threw the "White Screen of Death".

I followed the following steps to move the site from a test directory to the root directory:

1. Log in to your site.
  2. Go to the Administration > Settings > General panel.
  3. In the box for WordPress address (URI): change the address to the new location of your main WordPress core files.
  4. In the box for Site address (URL): change the address to the new location, which should match the WordPress (your public site) address (URI).
  5. Click Save Changes.
  6. (Do not try to open/view your site now!)
  7. Move your WordPress core files to the new location. This includes the files found within the original directory, such as http://example.com/wordpress, and all the sub-directories, to the new location.
  8. Now, try to open your site by going to yourdomain.com/wp-admin. Note, you may need to go to yourdomain.com/wp-login.php
  9. If you are using Permalinks, go to the Administration > Settings > Permalinks panel and update your Permalink structure to your .htaccess file, which should be in the same directory as the main index.php file.
  10. Existing image/media links uploaded media will refer to the old folder and must be updated with the new location. You can do this with the Velvet Blues Update URLs plugin, or with a search and replace tool, or manually in your SQL database.
  11. In some cases your permissions may have changed, depending on your ISP. Watch for any files with "0000" permissions and change them back to "0644".
  12. If your theme supports menus, links to your home page may still have the old subdirectory embedded in them. Go to Appearance::Menus and update them.
  13. Sometimes you would need to restart your server, otherwise your server may give out an error. (happens in MAMP software (Mac)).

But now I'm at a White Screen of Death.

So, what's the additional steps I need to take?

atcdomainsolutions

Normally, when I move a Wordpress from one directory to another, it's not really much of a problem. But even with all the standard protocols, the DMS site threw the "White Screen of Death".

I followed the following steps to move the site from a test directory to the root directory:

1. Log in to your site.
  2. Go to the Administration > Settings > General panel.
  3. In the box for WordPress address (URI): change the address to the new location of your main WordPress core files.
  4. In the box for Site address (URL): change the address to the new location, which should match the WordPress (your public site) address (URI).
  5. Click Save Changes.
  6. (Do not try to open/view your site now!)
  7. Move your WordPress core files to the new location. This includes the files found within the original directory, such as http://example.com/wordpress, and all the sub-directories, to the new location.
  8. Now, try to open your site by going to yourdomain.com/wp-admin. Note, you may need to go to yourdomain.com/wp-login.php
  9. If you are using Permalinks, go to the Administration > Settings > Permalinks panel and update your Permalink structure to your .htaccess file, which should be in the same directory as the main index.php file.
  10. Existing image/media links uploaded media will refer to the old folder and must be updated with the new location. You can do this with the Velvet Blues Update URLs plugin, or with a search and replace tool, or manually in your SQL database.
  11. In some cases your permissions may have changed, depending on your ISP. Watch for any files with "0000" permissions and change them back to "0644".
  12. If your theme supports menus, links to your home page may still have the old subdirectory embedded in them. Go to Appearance::Menus and update them.
  13. Sometimes you would need to restart your server, otherwise your server may give out an error. (happens in MAMP software (Mac)).

But now I'm at a White Screen of Death.

So, what's the additional steps I need to take?

When you are on the WSOD, do you see the DMS toolbar at the bottom?  If so, when you click the "Add To Page" button, what do you see as far as available sections?

Simon

WSOD is usually a PHP fatal error, enable WP_DEBUG in your config file.

Simon

That screenshot isnt a white screen.

A WSOD is just that nothing else just a blank screen.

Looks to me either you resized the DMS toolbar right to the top, or maybe you only have a 500px monitor? circa 1993 ;) 

either way, maybe you havnt got any sections inside the areas.

mspiegel

Okay. I got the following:

Notice: wp_enqueue_script was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/matthews/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3245

Notice: wp_enqueue_style was called incorrectly. Scripts and styles should not be registered or enqueued until the wp_enqueue_scripts, admin_enqueue_scripts, or login_enqueue_scripts hooks. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 3.3.) in /home/matthews/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3245

Notice: Constant WP_MEMORY_LIMIT already defined in /home/matthews/public_html/wp-config.php on line 92

Simon

Those 3 notices are not caused by DMS.

1st two are a plugin using out of date actions and the third is a plugin trying to set WP_MEMORY_LIMIT constant, but you already have it defined in wp-config.php.

Assuming the site in question is the one in your profile? Looks like you are running some kind of coming soon plugin so we cant even see any theme at all.

mspiegel

I'm restoring the site. There's too many variables for me to eliminate.

Once I restore it, I'll make a new ticket. There's something that I've been meaning to ask, but didn't, but it seems to be unavoidable now.

greenfly

Thank you or letting us know 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?