Sign in to follow this  
jacobkozinn

Custom code hooks in Site Footer Template Sections

jacobkozinn

I'm trying to change the items in the site footer, and have the custom hooks set up in my functions.php file in platformBase. However, these hooks are completely undocumented. How am I supposed to use them? How can I change the items shown in my site footer using the custom code hooks? Thanks, Jake

jacobkozinn

What I primarily want to do is remove "Pages", "The Latest", and "More". Adding new links is not a problem.

cmunns

If you copy the section.footcols.php into the root of the BASE theme you can edit it freely including the headers of the widgets. Let me know if you need further instruction.

jacobkozinn

Thanks cmunms, I ended up editing that file over the weekend in the pro directory successfully to achieve my goal. Are you saying if I copy that file into base it overrides the version in the pro directory? That would be great so I wouldn't have to worry about breaking updates or having to change it again after one. If this is the case, does that go for all the php files? I'm a WordPress newb but I've found with your theme I've been able to accomplish more advanced functionality pretty easily.

bryan-hadaway

Yes, you can do pretty much anything with the base theme. In order to setup the base theme, you need to have both /platformpro/ and /platformprobase/ in your /themes/ folder. Then only activate /platformprobase/. Since you already made the changes, I would copy all the current edited code or the file altogether somewhere else so you can re-implement it after setting everything up correctly. Thanks, Bryan

jacobkozinn

I just tried what you said, and it displayed both footers (my custom one and the default Platform one) at once, "on top" of each other. What else needs to be done?

jacobkozinn

hi bryan- we posted at the same time. from what you just said it looks like i need to activate platformbase alone, am i understanding you correctly?

jacobkozinn

oh wait, that is my configuration (platformbase alone)

bryan-hadaway

Yes, both need to be present, but you only need to activate the base through WordPress and NOT activate the theme itself, base just needs to find the theme there. If that's how you have it setup that is correct. Let's get a link, perhaps you could restore functions.php and any other template file you may have manually editing and we could try a little less messy CSS? Thanks, Bryan

jacobkozinn

sure, my site is http://jacobkozinn.com i have what i want 100%, it's just in the pro php file, and I'd like to move it to base to make the baby angels sing. thanks bryan!

jacobkozinn

how do i activate the base without using dashboard/themes?

bryan-hadaway

Just pretend that Base IS a theme and then activate just like that through the dashboard, it will run PlatformPro through Base. It'll appear and act just like PlatformPro. Thanks, Bryan

jacobkozinn

that's what i've had all along. i'm installing MAMP right now so i can clean this locally.

bryan-hadaway

Okay good, then you are indeed setup properly. Let me know if you need any more help. Thanks, Bryan

jacobkozinn

Hey, so I'm trying to do this by the book now. When I try to paste the code from sections.footcols.php into my functions.php file in platformbase in order to customize it, I get an error saying the class

PageLinesSection
is undefined. then if i paste this class into my functions.php file it says I cannot redefine
PageLinesSection

. i am not schooled in the vagaries of PHP, what am I doing incorrectly? Thanks. Edit: i reread the above comments and I'm going to try putting a copy of sections.footcols.php into my base directory and see if that does the trick. Edit2: Doing this causes BOTH footers (my custom one and the default one) to be displayed. How do I stop the default one from appearing?

catrina

If you're referring to the Morefoot left/Morefoot middle/Morefoot right columns, you can stop them from appearing by disabling the "Morefoot Sidebars" in your Template Settings.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse