Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

josh1178

Export DMS to standalone theme or child theme require DMS?

josh1178

I'm trying to figure out if in the future I need to export data from DMS to use in a standard theme that doesn't rely on DMS, what the process is.

If I've put all the info into the front end DMS system, is the data stored somewhere that another theme could access if the need arise? Is it possible to export DMS as a standalone theme that doesn't require DMS?

Thanks! Just trying to think ahead a bit. 

greenfly

Hello @josh1178 

It is currently not possible to do this. You can create child themes that will require the Parent theme of DMS in order to be used. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

josh1178

Thanks Martin. At the very least though, the data must be stored somewhere in the sql tables and can be ported over manually if need be though, right?

greenfly

Apologies, I do not fully understand your question. 

You cannot currently export DMS child themes to make them standalone themes for use without DMS. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

josh1178

Sorry. Yes, I got that you can't make standalone themes. Thanks. Now, I'm just wondering where all the info you input in the front end DMS gets stored. If later we need to move on from DMS, I'd like to know that it can somehow be retrieved. Normally with standard wordpress themes it's easy because it's all in posts. If you change themes, all the content is still there. How would you get your information out of DMS if the need arose? I suppose you can go to each section and start copy/pasting but it seems like that would be a royal pain. 

Anyhow, I know it's a vague question but I guess I’m asking now where the information you input into the DMS front-end goes and is stored. 

Yes, the data is stored in the WP database. However, it's serialized data specifically for DMS. It would be easier to recreate it via your next theme than to try porting it over directly (i.e. reading it from db and auto populating next theme's settings). This is true for all WP themes. They're not interchangeable unless they're child themes going onto the same parent theme.