Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nizami

DMS Template thing broken?

nizami

Using latest of everything (see table below)...and am experiencing some pretty strange behaviour from DMS. 

It began after dropping some v simple css into the inline css panel on a text box. 

That deleted all sections from the TEMPLATE area of all pages.

Updated DMS to 2.1.1 and hit the reset button to kill the site (again!)

Am still experiencing weirdness - difficulty dragging sections to the page, or if they go in they're not there on refresh. 

Behaviour is erratic – sometimes it seems to be the full width sections that disappear, sometimes it anything at all. 

Only clear symptom is the error in the PAGE SETUP tab of DMS:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/77/12052677/html/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/editor/editor.templates.php on line 313

Any ideas anyone? Pretty depressed right now I just wiped a client site. Small site, but it's the 2nd or 3rd time I've had to do it. 

Yeah, back up, sure, but the problems I've had seem weird enough that you wonder if some screwed code gets caught in the back up somewhere.

Anyway, help much appreciated! 

N

Home URL: http://jackielewis.co.uk Site URL: http://jackielewis.co.uk WC Version: 2.1.11 WC Database Version: 2.1.11 WP Version: 3.9.1 WP Multisite Enabled: No Web Server Info: Apache PHP Version: 5.3.24 MySQL Version: 5.5.33

greenfly

Yeah adding in-line style shouldn't be able to do that. Could you share the code with us so we can replicate the issue please?

Also could you enable debug for us in WordPress Admin > PageLines > Enable Debug

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

nizami

Hi Martin, 

Sorry for the delay here. I can't recall what scuppered the inline CSS...it was something simple, a single instruction like "text-transform:uppercase;"

I have enabled PL debug mode for jackielewis.co.uk. 

As mentioned above, the templating system in DMS has broken, which leaves me with unpredictable behaviour adding widgets to the page, some go on, others disappear, or disappear later.

Basically I'm steeling myself to reinstall everything from scratch and start again...so any help massively appreciated!!

N

greenfly

can you list the plugins you currently have installed 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

nizami

Sorry shoulda done that: 

I have Akismet, DMS Pro Tools, Pagelines Updater, WooCommerce 2.1.11

These were all active previously, when the template system was okay... 

greenfly

Something appears to be up definitely as cannot access your debug screen. 

Could we have an admin logon for your site so we can jump on and take a look for you. You can send the credentials to hello @ pagelines dot com with a link to this topic and we can help. 

nizami

Gee thanks that's awesome. Creds sent. 

greenfly

Thank you for your credentials - i can now see the error on your templates area. 

I will get a developer to look into this for you and update us directly via the forum. 

nizami

Hello...did anyone manage to gain any insight as to what the issue is? best N

Danny

Ok, I am going to need a few things from you, as adding inline styling can not in any way, shape or form remove all your sections from your page/template. Therefore, can you do the following please:

1. Update to the latest version of DMS.

2. Disable all non PageLines plugins

3. Can you use one of the apps linked below and record your issue, as I am unable to replicate inline styling removing sections.

http://quickcast.io/ (OSX only)

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

Also, you say that DMS doesn't work all the time, I can assure you it does, otherwise no one would use it. The issue for you is likely related to your hosting environment, I noticed you have a GoDaddy plugin installed for some reason. If you have used a one click installation of WordPress via a GoDaddy admin panel, then that could well be your issue.

I would recommend two things for you, move host to something other than GoDaddy as they are very poor (try FlyWheel) and you should never use these one click installs, as all they do is cause problem after problem.

Please search our forums, before posting!

nizami

Is it possible for you to go in and actually try and add a widget to a page? Then you will replicate. 

Don't worry about messing up the site. There are no non Pagelines active plugins.

Yes unfortunately it's currently hosted at GoDaddy.

Thanks

Danny

I have just logged in, added the Two Column section, in the left column the WP-Content/PostLoop section. In the right column, I added the Widgetizer section and selected the Primary sidebar. So I am not sure what you issue is - http://jackielewis.co.uk/danny-test/

Also, the error you're encountering is related to the fact that you have no templates, you appear to have removed them all. I will bring this to our developers attention.

nizami

Thanks for taking a look.

––Please view this screencast of me attempting to add (i) a full width masonic galelry and (ii) a content width masonic gallery.

––The widgets do not appear on refreshing the page.

––I did not delete any templates. I added some simple inline CSS (text-transform:uppercase;) to a widget on a page, and that was that.

––Don't know if you spotted the error message in the PAGE SETTINGS tab?

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/77/12052677/html/wp-content/themes/dms/dms/editor/editor.templates.php on line 313

––Doesn't sound like there is anything you can do. Should I cut my losses, switch the domain to bluehost and start again? 

Danny

When DMS is first installed included are several default templates, you site for whatever reason has none. Therefore, there is clearly something wrong with your installation if you haven't removed any of the default templates.

Adding inline CSS can not remove templates, nor can it cause any of the issues you're encountering. If the CSS you added via the inline style option is invalid or not correct, it will just be invalid CSS, it can not corrupt DMS in anyway.

Therefore, the likely issue is either plugins installed or your installation of WordPress along with your server environment is causing these conflicts. I am unable to recreate your issue with dragging and dropping the Masonic section to a page and upon refresh it is no longer there.

I think the best course of action would be for you to switch hosts, as GoDaddy is poor and those one click installations do nothing but cause problems. I would switch to FlyWheel, who host the PageLines.com site.

nizami

Thanks for taking a look Danny. Not sure if you saw the screencast, which provides reasonably concrete evidence of adding a section to the page and it not being there on refresh. The behaviour is erratic. Sometimes it's works, sometime's it doesn't. The error code produced is the symptom of whatever went wrong. Perhaps you don't believe me, but I certainly didn't delete any templates (in fact I spawned new ones). And it really was a piece of CSS––possibly with some kind of typo––that blew up the template system. Anyway. Rather a lot of time wasted on this already and it's all GoDaddy's fault. I'll give flywheel a go.   

Danny

Yeah I watched your quickcast, but as I mentioned above, I am unable to recreate the issue. When I add any section to my test site which requires a refresh, upon reload the section is there and ready to be configured.

Also, like I mentioned above, it is impossible for inline CSS to corrupt the template system, I have just this moment added inline CSS which is invalid to a Masthead section, when I publish the changes, all my templates are intact, as does the Masthead section. Therefore, the issue has to be related to either your one click installation (which are naff) or your hosting environment in general.

By switching to FlyWheel, you will have a stable hosting environment and one that we know is fully capable of running DMS without any known issues. 

nizami

Okay an update on this one. Just set up DMS etc over at Flywheel. Got as far as building the homepage, and am simply adding a text box to the About page when bang, suddenly all my widgets in any template are gone again. Only the fixed areas remain intact.

You'll have to trust me this is what happened as I've deleted the draft flywheel site and am beginning again. I really, really need this site to go live and this bug is a total blocker. Is it because I haven't fully enabled (paid for) the Flywheel site? 

N

Danny

I'm sorry but this isn't a bug as far as I am concerned, you must have some odd plugin installed, that is causing this or a script maybe ? I am unable to replicate your issue from the QuickCast. However, you're now mentioning widgets, what widgets and what section are you using ?

Can you recreate the issue again and record it via QuickCast please.

nizami

I'm sorry too. Fresh install of latest DMS on latest WP on flywheel. No plugins installed. Added a text box to column #2 of a 3 column layout in the template area and boom...all gone again. When I get around to starting again from scratch I'll screencast it for you. Seems I don't get much luck with DMS. N

Andrew

hey there nizami, 

Lets get to the bottom of this, can i have some credentials so i can investigate and fix?

Before i do that, have we temporarily removed/deactivated custom code? 

nizami

Hey there, thanks for picking this up...right now I'm waiting for flywheel tech support to get back to me because the broken dev site is still ghosting around my account, after trying to delete it in order to start again. Soon as that happens I'll start again, screencasting install of DMS right through to building pages and–––well, hopefully not!–––encountering whatever it is keeps blowing up the template system. At that point I'll be delighted to ping you credentials. The only custom code I'm using––in Inline CSS field for a handful of simple widgets––is text-transform:capitalize; like that without the {}...(is that what I'm doing wrong?) N

Danny

When you say inline styling on widgets what do you actually mean, as you can not add inline styling to widgets, do you mean sections ? Also, I've already informed you that it is physically impossible for inline CSS to corrupt your templates in anyway. I have already told you that I have added inline styling to a section and on purpose added invalid CSS, which caused no issue. So the issue you're encountering is not related to inline CSS.

Also, I have just this moment added a Three Column layout to my test site, then added a TextBox section and I was unable to recreate your issue.

http://quick.as/Glpds7bw

Therefore, we are going to need to have you record the issue so we can see exactly what your problem is.

nizami

Thank you Danny. I don't know what the problem is. I can only report the last action before the template system crashed out. On GoDaddy, that last action was adding inline CSS to a section (not widget, sorry). On Flywheel it was adding a textbox, with no CSS. Maybe these events are only the apparent candidates and the problem is something else. Appreciate you can't rule out error on my part. Anyway. I think I already informed you of my intentions to screencast the next build-from-scratch...At the moment still waiting for Flywheel Support to clear the account as I want the platform as clean as possible.

Danny

OK, keep us posted.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?