Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

8216az7373

Upgrade from Frameworks to DMS2

8216az7373

www.scottsdalescott.com

Issue: Upgrading from Pagelines Frameworks to DMS2 ($99) using later WP.

I paid for and downloaded DMS2, then uploaded to site: scottsdalescott.com

Im afraid I am at a loss from here. I searched the forum topics and do not see upgrade path help. Sorry if I am missing it.

I do not understand where to go from here and how to get the drag and drop environment described in your videos. 

After upgrading it completely changed the look of my site to what you see now (i.e. eliminated columns, dropped header, dropped navigation, etc.)

Where do I go from here on this install?

8216az7373

It appears that the DMS2 is not activated. There is no button on the bottom left to activate as I read in another thread. I am using Chrome.

How do I get it activated so I can see the drag and drop aspect?

greenfly

8216az7373

There is no direct upgrade path between The PageLines Framework and DMS1 or DMS2.

The best advice is if you have installed DMS in place of you Framework on your live site then switch back to Framework. You will need to install the DMS in a dev environment (either remotely or locally) and then you will be able to recreate the look and feel of your Framework site with ease. 

The best place to start with DMS2 is with the User Guide here http://www.pagelines.com/user-guide/

The 'Drag & Drop' elements of your DMS2 site are now located on the front end of your WordPress/DMS powered site. 

Hope this helps 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

macmaniacs

This was exactly the question I too would've had. I'm still using Pagelines Framework but would consider to switch to DSM. But to me it just feels very poor that there is no upgrade possibility. I spent so much time to get my site working the way it is now and I simply do not have the time to rebuild each and every piece of the site again. And again. Cause originally I had to do so already when switching from Platform Pro to Pagelines. This simply is not acceptable for a product I have (and had to) pay for :-(

Danny

macmaniacs - There isn't any real upgrade path or process as they're two completely separate products. However, if you use DMS for a couple of days and get used the new system and functionality. You should be able to recreate any site created with PageLines Framework within a couple of hours depending on the layout.

I think the best course of action would be for you to work locally or on a test site and construct your current site using DMS. Once you're happy you can then install DMS on your live site and them import the settings from your local site.

Please search our forums, before posting!

macmaniacs

Well, if I had certain knowledge about all this layout, theme and html stuff this might be an option, but I do not have this. For me building my site was one a lot of work, many hours as I'm a "little blogger" and there's nobody being able to assist. Right now I installed the latest update to pagelines framework and now the "carousel" is broke, it gets displayed as a unordered list and this is exactly what I'm meaning. I do not have any idea what to do as _I_ didn't do anything but installing the update.

I don't even know how I could try this locally nor how to set up a server by myself and setup of my webserver was years ago, same goes for the wordpress installation itself.

Plus I have to admit that I'm afraid I would pay for DMS but in a year or so there'd be another new product, again payment and again no upgrade whatsoever :-( 

One might say "if you don't know how to then don't host a website" - but well, I'm sure there're plenty of people out there facing similar problems...

Danny

DMS has been developed so that you do not need to use HTML or CSS, unless you need to styling or edit something in a specific fashion. So you should be able to recreate your PageLines Framework created site in DMS without the use of HTML/CSS.

There are applications some free, some you have to pay for that allow you to run a server locally on your desktop/laptop. I have listed these applications below.

MAMP - OSX only

XAMPP - OSX/Windows

Install one of these applications and follow the documentation. Then you can run a local server, where you can install WordPress, plugins and themes like you would if it was a live server. Then you can recreate your current PageLines Framework site locally using DMS.

The purpose of DMS is to allow novice users to create their own website without the knowledge of coding languages. With DMS you can do this, the only time you will need to understand CSS/HTML etc... is if you want to customized something in a specific way.

I have replied to your other topic regarding the carousel.

xcel7

Hi,

Same problem here, my site on framework is broken (we don't have acces on menus and widgets anaymore), but it took long hours to build this site with our client, over one year, that's why we still are using framework.
I'm not sure the client would be ok to pay for a new site as this one is online for a few months only… So I would love to be able to work on this one built in Framework. Any idea?

TIA

Ines

Danny

xcel7 - If you're having issues with PageLines Framework, please create your own forum topic in the PageLines Framework forums and our staff will be happy to assist you.