Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arsenic

Pagelines No cooperating.

Arsenic

So, I was having some errors with pagelines, mainly the "not writable" ones. I contacted my hosting support, and this is what I get back.

"Well, we've tried marking sections of the site so the app can write to it, defining the tmp directory statically for it, and the only thing that turns up in the logs is a series of recursion redirect errors when we go to customize the theme (which has no formatting). We even commented out everything in the .htaccess to get rid of that, and it made no difference. There is also nothing to indicate why it thinks it can't write to the "file system" and whether it means the directory structure under the site or the temporary work directory (which is available, as otherwise no php/mySQL-based sites would work i nthe first place). So, we're at a loss here, and this should probably be taken up with the theme developer, since the "pagelines options panel" doens't seem to work when we go into the customization/edit function."

Any ideas?

Arsenic

Simon

DMS does not use the wordpress customize area for editing the site, the whole thing is done on the front end of your site. Clicking that button does nothing.

DMS asks WordPress if it can write a file to the uploads/pagelines directory using the WP_Filesystem class seen here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Filesystem_API

If for any reason WP cannot write a simple css file into that DIR then DMS wont attempt to write a css file.

We have no idea why WP cannot write a file on your hosting server, we have no idea how it is setup.

I am only guessing here, as you did not include a link to your site, a clue to what the error was, or indeed your hosting provider, so I am just speculating really.

Arsenic

Site:Hugorsmith.com

I uninstalled Paglines DMS 2 But I will reinstall as needed.

Host: HostingMatters

Simon

Well, what was the error? You want us to try and help you surely?

OK that host has about 6000 options, what package is it? 

Arsenic

Here's the error

It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue.
To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel.
Unable to set filesystem credentials

Arsenic

The package is the Web Hosting Unmetered plan.

Simon

Can you go to DMS options and enable debugging

Arsenic

No, thats an effect of the problem :(

Danny

You can enable DMS debug mode by going to WordPress Admin Dashboard > PageLines and scroll to the bottom, its the last option.

Please search our forums, before posting!

Christopher TruLove

I'm having a problem that several others seem to have had, and as far as I can tell there hasn't been an answer... either the blighted users are giving up on support and finding the answer elsewhere, or facepalming over something obvious and sheepishly backing out of the topic.

The error is the much lamented:

It appears your WordPress install can't write to your servers file system. This may adversely affect your sites performance. Check with your host about resolving this issue.
To hide these notices, visit PageLines options panel.
Unable to set filesystem credentials

...and the site itself looking like the attached screenshot.

The answer, despite the annoyingly casual "you don't have permissions," "its the wrong user," "it isn't us, its WPs/hosts permissions" responses, is NOT permissions... those of us enduring this bug tend to hit on that pretty swiftly (namely, because it IS IN THE ERROR MESSAGE)...  In my case and others, we had already set the permissions open: wp-content is 777

...and it still doesn't work, which generates responses like:

How is it that the DMS Less subsystem cannot write to a folder with CHMOD 777. This is a level of finesse that no other wordpress product requires.

That is the problem with this in a nutshell: How come I can upload pictures and WP can self update if it doesn't have permission to write?

More information is CLEARLY needed, but getting it is like pulling teeth... in no small part because of the responses to these questions in the forums:

Can you go to DMS options and enable debugging

To which we often answer "No," because DMS is imploding when it tries to open for editing. Incidentally when a screenshot is posted you can tell that the toolbar is conspicuously not there, so it is even more annoying to tell people to use it. 

Echoing the error messages mention of "Pagelines options", comes the inevitable query:

You can enable DMS debug mode by going to WordPress Admin Dashboard > PageLines and scroll to the bottom, its the last option.

...which near as I can tell is an imaginary place.  I have never seen anything I could describe as "pagelines options"... it might behoove you to mention where and how to access this magical place... 

Is there another plugin you aren't mentioning that makes this possible?

OR... can we get to it via a URL (ie [site]/wp-admin/pagelines/imaginary-place )

OR... is there a place in the code somewhere we can force (ie $imaginary['place'] = true;)?

Can you throw a dog a bone here?

Simon

Christopher TruLove Hi there, the 'imaginary place' is the PageLines link in the main wp-admin menu, seen here: https://cloudup.com/c-RDVB5ClK9

A direct link to this place would be something like: your-domain/wp-admin/admin.php?page=PageLines-Admin

The way DMS writes to the filesystem is simple, it asks WordPress is WordPress can write a text file, if WordPress says no then you see that error.

In later versions it falls back to the most basic way of writing a file, file_put_contents() and then you only see that error if that cant write a file, and to be honest if file_put_contents() does not work then you have serious problems.

Of course I can only guess what version of WordPress and DMS you are using and what host because you did not provide any useful information.

If you would like continued support on this subject then please open your own topic and provide the info needed to help you further.