Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vrcqbpro

Customization disappeared

vrcqbpro

All my customization disappeared suddenly yesterday.  My site aeroworkflow.com has reverted to the basic Workspace theme.  How could this happen?  And where did everything go?  Do I have to completely redo the site?  I already tried to restore to the backup from the hosting provider, but no joy.  

This is extremely distressing to think that this product is this unstable.  

Simon

What exactly did you try and restore? Assuming your host has a backup/restore feature, what part of your site did you restore?

vrcqbpro

The whole thing - it was late last night and I was in a hurry.  I would assume that I'd want to restore just the WP database, but I couldn't find a way to do that last night.

Also, I found the error/issue.   But not sure how to fix.  I made a few changes and then in the WP control panel clicked on Appearance>Customize.  Poof!  everything disappears!  I may have accidentally click this yesterday when I had the site open for editing a blog post.

Should it really be that easy to disappear your entire site?

vrcqbpro

Okay - I just broke another site the same way.  This is one that I just started, had no plugins and only a couple of pages.  Basicially all I did was to click on the Customize button and the entire site reverts to the basic theme.

Now how to fix?

vrcqbpro

Clicking on the Customize link on the top dropdown does the same thing.

vrcqbpro

Can you provide some advice on how to restore the customizations?  Since restoring the entire site didn't work?  This does seem like this is a DMS bug, but I'm hoping I can click on something to make everything reappear as easily as I made it disappear.

Simon

STOP clicking the customise button. If thats whats causing you to 'reset' everything, stop clicking it! All DMS editing is done on the main site area. The wordpress customiser is for customising simple wordpress themes, not DMS.

Im going to push a release that stops people clicking that button.

vrcqbpro

LOL - Well, yes obviously I'm going to stop - I already told my staff to as well.  BUT - it shouldn't be so easy to break the customizations.  One could do it very innocently, as I apparently did without realizing yesterday.  It was only when a colleague said she'd had similar trouble with a site every time she click on a WP menu link that let me track down the source of the issue.  

I was able to restore the WP database, so my site is back up, and I just have to redo yesterday's work.

BTW - this occurs on DMS 2.1 and 2.1.1 on BlueHost and GoDaddy.  With plugins or not.  

Simon

The customise button triggers the installer, it will be patched in some form in the next version.

kaitlin

I had the same issue as @vrcqbpro.  I get it now-- DON'T PUSH THE CUSTOMIZE BUTTON.  Great... But I did.  Nothing should be that easy to completely erase an entire, already published site, period.  I see that you're updating the next version to not allow that to happen, but what can we do to fix it for those of us who have been impacted?  My website still shows my content in when the DMS is activated, but it won't republish.  I REALLY don't want to have to rebuild my entire website: www.bluebirdcollective.com so if there is a way to get it back, can you provide some insight?  Thanks very much.

Simon

so if there is a way to get it back, can you provide some insight?

Sure, use a database backup. Your host backs up the database daily right?

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?