Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quintinm

How to edit the featured image height so it is not cropped.

quintinm

Hello

Can someone help me with where to set the height of a featured image for the blog section.

I have enabled legacy mode and i see that the site / template / system cuts off the featured image a little bit on the top and bottom when it is in the list of articles page as well as on the actual blog post itself.

How and where do i change this setting so that it shows the full image?

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Hi,

If you're using Legacy mode then the only way to not have WordPress use a thumbnail is for you to use the On Top option. All other options uses the thumbnail generated by WordPress.

Please search our forums, before posting!

quintinm

Hi Danny, re you talking about the large image?

I am referring to the main image above the news title and text.

When i upload it (and even in the media library), there is white space above and below the pumps (in this case).

When i see it on the page, it seems cropped top and bottom.

When i click "view image", it is also cropped.

How do i resolve this?

Thank you.

Danny

I am not sure what you mean, as you haven't provided a link to the page in question.

quintinm

Hi Danny, sorry for the delay in replying.

here is the link:

http://hcppumps.co.za/temp/clientviewlink

once you have clicked that link, go to news and open the full news article.

you will see how the system cuts off the featured image top and bottom.

The top image is the featured one, the bottom one is inserted into the copy - you can see the difference.

How do i stop this from happening?

Thank you.

Danny

We can't provide support until you update to the latest version of DMS, please update and reply when you have done so.

quintinm

Danny, excuse my ignorance, but how do i do that?

I don't see anywhere to update it on the site dashboard...

Danny

You need to have the PageLines Updater plugin installed, you can download it from your PageLines account. Once installed and activated, you should be notified of an update to PageLines DMS. I would perform a backup before updating, just as a precaution.

quintinm

Hi.

I have it installed (PageLines Update Version 1.1) and there are no updates that i can see that are required.

Danny

Have you tried going to WordPress Admin Dashboard > Appearance > Themes, then clicking on Theme Details ?

If that doesn't trigger an update, then try going to WordPress Admin Dashboard > Updates.

If that doesn't work then you have something on your server preventing an update, as the version you're using is DMS 2.0.7, the latest version is DMS 2.1.1.

Also in regards to your image cropping see this guide by Cliff - http://www.pagelinestheme.com/stop-cropping-featured-images/

Result - https://cloudup.com/cNRhWb-sIOz

quintinm

Hi. How do i update the DMS if it doesn't show one is available?

What do i need to ask the server guys to rectify it or is there another way i can update it?

I would prefer to add the code to the functions page but i am not that familiar with PHP, is this correct?

<?php
/*
 *	Tell DMS we are in a subfolder and fire up the flux capacitors!
**/
if( ! defined( 'DMS_CORE' ) )
	define( 'DMS_CORE', true );

require_once( 'dms/functions.php' );

// Lets suggest a few plugins..
dms_suggest_plugin( 'Contact Form 7', 'contact-form-7', 'Contact Form 7 can manage multiple contact forms, plus you can customize the form and the mail contents flexibly with simple markup.<br />The form supports Ajax-powered submitting, CAPTCHA, Akismet spam filtering and so on.' );

dms_suggest_plugin( 'WordPress SEO', 'wordpress-seo', 'Improve your WordPress SEO: Write better content and have a fully optimized WordPress site using the WordPress SEO plugin by Yoast.' );

dms_suggest_plugin( 'WooCommerce - excelling eCommerce', 'woocommerce', 'WooCommerce is a powerful, extendable eCommerce plugin that helps you sell anything. Beautifully.' );

// from http://www.pagelinestheme.com/stop-cropping-featured-images/
// related to http://www.pagelinestheme.com/access-remove-pagelines-custom-image-sizes/

function pl_dms_override_thumbs(){
	//add_image_size( 'aspect-thumb', 900, 600, false );
	add_image_size( 'basic-thumb', 400, 400, false );
	add_image_size( 'landscape-thumb', 900, 450, false );
}
add_action('after_setup_theme', 'pl_dms_override_thumbs', 11);

Danny

In regards to contacting your host, before that make sure all plugins are disabled and try my suggestions again for attempting to get an update notification. If that doesn't work, just inform them that we provide an updater plugin which for some reason is no longer notifying you of updates.

Do not edit core files, you need to use a child theme which it states on that post. Please remove all code you have added to the DMS functions.php file and then upload a child theme and add that code to the child themes functions.php file. You're more than welcome to use my child theme which is located here - http://dannyholt.github.io/skeleton/

quintinm

Hi Danny, sorry, i had this posted in the wrong post, sorry about that.

Hi guys, @Danny, i just tried to upload your child theme to the HCP pumps site and it just wont let me do it - i get this message:

By the way - when prompted i selected "NO" for the dropdown "Upgrade existing theme?" Should i have said yes instead?

Installing Theme from uploaded file: skeleton-basic.zip

The Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin was unable to handle requests for this upgrade. Unfortunately, this setup may be incompatible with the plugin.

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

This theme requires a parent theme. Checking if it is installed…

Preparing to install DMS 1.1.1

Downloading install package from https://wordpress.or...d/dms.1.1.1.zip

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

Destination folder already exists. /usr/www/users/hcppum/temp/wp-content/themes/dms/

Theme install failed.

Theme installed successfully.

Danny

Yeah I just replied to the other topic. That problem is either caused by some plugin you're using, as I have never seen the message Easy themes and Plugins before. Also what version of DMS are you using ?

quintinm

Hi Danny - yes, it seems the ISP adds the plugin called "Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades" automatically and as i didn't know it was there and updated - it killed everything really badly.

I basically had to restore the files and database to get it working again. So frustrating!

So, now that i am back to where the site was before the issue, what else can i try to get the update to the latest version of DMS?

There are no update messages in the dashboard.

Can i do it manually - replace the folder via FTP?

Or should i ask them what the issue could be?

If so, what do i ask them - i have no idea what to say to them.

Thanks Danny.

Danny

You will want to ask them why you're receiving no updates, just tell them that the theme I am using have released a plugin that notifies me when there is an update. However, this isn't working for you and that there is no issue with the plugin itself. You can also see our developers suggestion here to a user who also wasn't receiving any update notifications.

http://forum.pagelines.com/topic/35289-blog-page-and-post-issues-dms2/?p=209740

quintinm

Hi Danny, hope you are well.

I asked them about this and they said the following:

I had a look at the server setup for your hcppumps.co.za domain and can confirm all is well. There is no reason for the server to prevent the updates from being shown.
Furthermore a quick search on the Wordpress forums suggest you set the permissions for both the 'wp-content' and 'wp-content/upgrade' folders to 775.

Should i go ahead and set those permissions?

I would assume that their default state when installed would be fine as i have never had to do that before.

And then with regards renaming "object-cache.php" - what should i rename it to and where do i find it?

Thank you.

quintinm

Danny, i have just noticed something strange in the file structure of this "problem" site - it is different to the other sites i have on my other reseller server.

There seems to be an additional DMS folder in the path (See in red)

Themes /

DMS/

DMS/

DMS/

admin

editor

etc

Languages

sections

etc

In my other installations, the directory structure looks like this.

Themes /

DMS/

DMS/

admin

editor

etc

Languages

sections

etc

Could this be part of the problem?

I am pulling my hair out with this as i have no idea how to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Yeah that would probably cause the problem, not even sure how you have managed to install it into a directory like that. The correct structure for DMS 2.x is this:

WordPress Root

|__wp-content

|___themes

|____dms

|__dms

quintinm

Hi Danny.

It is not an ISP i would have wanted to use, client's choice.

Initially it would not let me upload via the dashboard so i had to use the file manager to get it up and expand the zip file

I suspect it created that structure somehow.

So, if i move the files up one level, what will that do to the site?

Would it be best for me to do a backup and export the site using worpress exporter and export the config using the "Export DMS Config"?

I don't want to have to redo the work i have done already.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Danny

I wouldn't move the files up one level, I would install it again. You're going to need to backup first, to do this you can either use a plugin or use your web hosting functionality. Once backed up, you're going to need to connect via an FTP client and rename the dms folder to something like old_dms. Then install DMS using the WordPress theme installer, if this isn't working correctly, then you will need to contact your web host provider again and ask them why this isn't working.

quintinm

Morning Danny, thanks for the advice.

What do i do to make sure that the styling etc stays with the site?

Surely a new instal would show up the generic starter dms2 look?

Should i not be exporting the project files?

Thanks.

quintinm

@Danny, please can i have some feedback on this.

What do i do to make sure that the styling etc stays with the site?

Surely a new instal would show up the generic starter dms2 look?

Should i not be exporting the project files?

If that is the case then i am stuck as it wont let me...

Theme Config Publishing

(Disabled! No child theme active) Publish Configuration to Child Theme (No Download File)

Check this to publish your site configuration as a theme configuration file in your themes root directory. When a user activates your theme it will ask if it can overwrite their settings to attain a desired initial experience to the theme.

So where to from here?

How do i export the site to import it with all the settings etc that i have made to date?

Thank you.

Thanks.

Danny

I apologise for the last response, I have been on vacation. In order to back up your style, what I would do is simply copy and paste it into a code editor and save it as something along the lines of mybackup.css

I do this all the time, I even have a private repository on GitHub, which contains all style.css/style.less files for sites I have worked on.

Once you have installed a fresh copy, simply copy and paste the code from the mybackup.css 

quintinm

Wish i had known that before i rebuilt the site :-)

Thanks Danny - the original issue is still something i need to resolve though - the featured image being cropped.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?