Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

DMS 1 to DMS 2: templates

Jenny    33
Jenny

Hey guys!

Tried updating to DMS2 from DMS1 and my site was a mess, which I kinda expected. I use a child theme (Flatten) and when updating to DMS2, it took over all the default values of templates, options, etc, for Flatten, instead of the options and templates I've had in place for months.

I don't believe this is really a child theme question but rather an overwrite of settings. After updating to DMS2, I thought "hey.. maybe I just need to apply the templates I created." So I visited the template area and to my surprise there were no templates listed. Well.. it looked like there might be a couple but there was no text, no description, etc. Like a blank list. I previously had about 15 templates in there so where'd they go?

Thank goodness for Flywheel's backup/restore feature! lol

If this is expected behavior for an update, then I'll just keep the site on DMS1, but... how can I have DMS1 and DMS2 on the same multisite install (so I can use DMS2 for another site on the network)?

Jenny :: Web designer at Simple Mama (follow me at @simplemamacom)

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi Kenny!

I don't think it's possible to use both DMS 1.x and DMS 2.x in the same multisite installation, as they both use the same dms directory, so you will likely need to make a choice between DMS 1.x and 2.x unfortunately.

In regards to the child theme templates being overwritten, that is rather odd. However, as far as I am aware, you need to install DMS 2.x and then install the new Flatten theme that is compatible with DMS 2.x, see here for more information - http://www.pagelines.com/shop/child/flatten/

Please search our forums, before posting!

Jenny    33
Jenny

Hey Danny :)  Simon confirmed that I should not use DMS 1 / 2 on the same multisite.

I have DMS 1 w/Flatten installed and working great. Do you know of any issues with templates not moving from DMS 1 to DMS 2? As soon as I overwrite the FTP folder /dms/ with version 2, then visit the site and checkout the templates, there are none listed.

I even tried exporting DMS settings before upgrading then importing into DMS 2. That didn't work either.

Check out Share Me, a social sharing add-on for DMS that is super simple to set up.

Simon    247
Simon

as soon as I overwrite the FTP folder /dms/ with version 2,

Make sure you DELETE v1, the files are totally different. Simply uploading v2 over v1 will result in a right mess.

Jenny    33
Jenny

Okay, tried again tonight and still not working right. Here is what I did:

1. Did a backup because I knew I would be restoring again.. hehe.

2. Exported everything via DMS admin. All boxes were checked except the last one which was something about making a new child theme. Saved .json file.

3. Exported all Wordpress content. Saved .xml file.

4. Via FTP, renamed /dms/ to /_dms/.

5. Uploaded DMS2 via FTP using folder /dms/.

6. Refreshed site.

Things that are not converting over and are being restored to default settings/content:

*My templates are no where to be found. Previously there were about 15 or so. Screenshot of template area: http://imgur.com/HjA4Qdx

*Site logo

*Text box

*iBoxFlat

*iCalloutFlat

*CollapserFlat (title and images only)

*StarBarsFlat (title and only showing 5 instead of 6)

*One of my pages is using a different template completely. No idea why.

7. Imported DMS settings via .json file, published, refreshed. No change to site.

8. Imported Wordpress content via .xml file, refreshed. No change to site.

9. And now I'm restoring from backup again.

If my templates saved, things would be a little easier and I would be willing to spend a couple hours fixing everything. Hope you can help.

Hi Jenny. I've updated multiple sites from DMS 1 to DMS 2 and haven't ever seen a blank Templates area like in your DMS Editor screenshot. I also haven't ever used the Flatten child theme. But I wanted to say hi, that it's possible, and that I'm rooting for you. :)
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• DonRicardoRVM
      By DonRicardoRVM+
        First of all, sorry for my bad English.  I am developing an ecommeece with wp, woocommerce, PL5 and quickshop, and I need to do some changes in the simple product grid. I want to change the classes of some divs, but I can't find the templates. 
      Also, I change the grid of the category products pages, but I didn't make it correctly.
      This is the cat archive's: http://globosdemar.com/wp/categoria-producto/camisetas-para-ninos-y-ninas/
      Can you help me?
    • poseyg
      By poseyg+
      Could someone explain exactly how the new template sync works or what it is suppose to do?
    • Anthony King
      By Anthony King+
      I have to say that I like the Layout and the Template based sections. Some of them are really impressive.
      One of the things that I would like to request though is the possibility of being able to dynamically rearrange the layout.
      An example of what I am talking about is take the Agency Section. It's current layout starts with the
      Splash Module then the Portfolio Module then the Service Module and so on and so forth.
      What would be great is if we were able to move these modules around. I.e have the Service Module first
      then maybe the Splash, and then the portfolio.

• flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      I am using Jigoshop on a website that also uses PL5 and am running into an issue where the store pages do not allow me to use the PL5 editor. Is anyone else having this problem or know if a solution? 
      When I open the Chrome console I see the following error:
      site.js?ver=b199df:5 Uncaught ReferenceError: PLData is not defined
          at Object.setMasterModel (site.js?ver=b199df:5)
          at Object.init (site.js?ver=b199df:5)
          at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (site.js?ver=b199df:5)
          at i (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)
          at Object.fireWith [as resolveWith] (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)
          at Function.ready (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)
          at HTMLDocument.K (jquery.js?ver=1.12.4:2)

The problem can be seen here: http://fingerlakesdistilling.com/shop/ where the sidebar, footer, and header do not show up. Any thoughts?
      Thanks so much!
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      I've created a new post category "Success stories" with Custom Post type UI. (in order to have a different layout for a different post category - blog post one layout, success stories another layout).
      New category "success stories" are "detached" from all the other posts, so they have a different layout, but the problem is that all of the success stories are also having the same exact content.
      So whenever I edit content (e.g. change body text) on one of success story posts, it also changes the content (body text) for all other Success story category posts. 

Question: Is there a way to retain this separate category with it's own layout, and have a different content for each individual post? I'm using Pagelins templates. 
       Thanks in advance.