Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mitchellstringer

Trying to have columns in row

mitchellstringer

i am trying to "stack" columns so i can have two shorter columns next to a longer a column. i have attached a picture of what i am trying to achieve. i have read this can be done with "nested" columns but i have no idea how to make them "nested". also when i read the page on "nesting" it looked like you could only add HTML in to it rather than the drag and drop components.

GetMeWebDesign

It makes things confusing if you see them as expanded like that, which obviously is dependant upon content (for the first column, particularly). What you appear to want, looking at your mock up, is a two column, with the second column having more than one section added to it (or as many as you like)

Or have I seen this incorrectly

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

mitchellstringer
Sort of yes, but I would like for example, in the right column 2 sections the background white, a gap, another 2 sections. Without disturbing the long column on left, which will be one long html section

GetMeWebDesign

OK... same again. 2 columns but in second column add your four sections and set background to white for 1st, 3rd and 4th with inline styling. For the 2nd use custom css to target the .pl-section-pad.fix, rather than the inline styling to set your background. You may also need to add a margin at the bottom of say, margin-bottom: 1em; 

This will give you the effect you are looking for. Here column 1, Hero, Column two Map, Ibox, textbox, icallout. 

http://screencast.com/t/lP4LncX9

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

mitchellstringer
Great tips thanks :-) I can never get the cvs to target sections thought.

It never works for me :-( so for now I'm forced to use inline styling and setting a margin or border

Danny

Be very careful when using borders on elements as it can throw off the elements width and will likely force it to a new row. To avoid this you can either use the border property alongside the box-sizing: border-box property or use the outline property, which doesn't require box-sizing: border-box.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?