Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

banded

Global settings and certain sections keep resetting

banded

Dear,

I just started designing my website using DMS2 and i noticed some strange behaviour:

for instance, I customised my dms for my frontpage yesterday. Everything looked ok untill is signed in this morning and went to the dms editor to continue my work.

- Global settings where reset; site images are no longer linked, link color changed back to default.

- The navbar i added in the fixed area on top has disapeared and replaced with the standard navi.

- a double column with 2 textbox disapeared and another textbox was reset

- My custom sections (which I saved) are gone.

I do not need to change anything for the changes to happen. just login and go to theme - adjust 

I also noticed that the 'welcome' messages, that show when you first install DMS, also appear from time to tome after logging in on the website and opening the DMS editor. Both might be linked as i suspect that the settings are reset at the same time the welcome messages show again.

Not all sections are reset. some remain unchanged (for example revslider, ibox and map plugin.

As far as i can see this does not happen unless I edit the website.

All plugins are allready disable (except DMS Professional Tools and PageLines Updater)

No custom code is added, no php pages or css files where eddited.

debugging is active.

Kind regards,
Robbie

Danny

Hi Robbie,

It is simply not possible for the DMS welcome page to be displayed each time you login, if this is the case then you must have some plugin/custom code causing a weird conflict or your WordPress install is rather odd.

However, if the Welcome page is being displayed each time, then that would mean that WordPress thinks that a new theme has been active and your DMS settings have been wiped. Therefore, would it be possible for you to enable DMS Debug mode as it is not currently active.

Please search our forums, before posting!

banded
Hi,

The forum looking info this.

Debugging was active so I think That thks setting was reset als well

I activated it again

Kind regards

Danny

OK, you have two minor issues that are mentioned in your debug info, I would recommend you contact your web host provider and enquire if it would be possible for them to upgrade your PHP version to 5.4 or greater, 5.5 being the better choice.

You're also, using shared hosting which isn't a very good environment for hosting a website that uses a CMS such as WordPress, as shared hosting tends to be a rather strict server environment. It also means that your site is using the same server resources as many other sites in your case this is over 800 websites (see screenshot below).

https://cloudup.com/cJ-fOaia1ZN

If I was you, I would look to switch host to someone else such as Flywheel, who host the PageLines.com website - http://getflywheel.com/

banded

As suspected, becouse of the shared hosting, they could not upgrade the PHP. They also didn't have a date for the upgrade set at this time.

For cost savings i would like the website to remain there for now.

Is the issue entirely related to the PHP? For example: would resetting the entire thing (reinstalling wordpress and starting over completely possibly fix this.

If it's the PHP, i could save myself the trouble of starting over, if not I would give it a try.

carles1

Hi, I'm having similar problems as the ones mentioned on the first post...

- Global settings were reset (logo images, CSS...) (only once, now it keeps on place).

- The navbar i added in the fixed area on top has disapeared and replaced with the standard navi (now it keeps on place).

- an ibox section i added in the header area has disapeared (at least twice, I built it once again but disappeared)

- My custom sections (which I saved) are gone (they appear on the list to be added... but empty).

I enabled the debug mode. Could you advice, please?

GetMeWebDesign

carles1 To view the debug info a link to your site is needed

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

GetMeWebDesign

you dont appear to have debug enabled. If you add ?pldebug=1 to the end of your url anyone should be able to see the debug info ie ( a site I muck about testing on) 

make sure you have checked the box in Site Settings > Advanced > Enable debug and refreshed.  You should then see below that, with a CLick Here for your debug info http://gro4.me/?pldebug=1

http://screencast.com/t/pgRj1rwUnCD

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

carles1

I had enabled and saved it but for any reason it didn't work! Thanks! I tried and it worked now.

banded

I had enabled and saved it but for any reason it didn't work! Thanks! I tried and it worked now.

Had the same issue with the debug mode. I assume it gets reset with the rest of the global settings.

Danny

carles1 - We are unable to view your debug info due to the plugin you're using for your relaunch page. If you disable this plugin, we will be able to view your debug info.

If you do not want to disable this plugin, then login and see if its possible for you to view as an admin, simply view this address when you're logged in.

http://menorcatime.com/?pldebug=1

If you can view the information, please screenshot the settings so we can take a look. So not copy and paste the information, as it isn't formatted correctly when copying and pasting into the forums.

banded - I can't say for certain that this issue is 100% related to your PHP version or hosting environment, but we need to get those resolved so we can disregard them. However, if sections are disappearing or the Welcome screen keeps appearing (something of which I am unable to recreate) the likely cause is either plugin related or server related in my opinion.

carles1

ok. You can have a look now. Please, let me know asap once checked. thanks

GetMeWebDesign

carles1 debug still isnt working, even though the site can be seen now

Danny

carles1 - You're going to need to disable all those plugins for a set amount of time and see if the issue persists. As its likely that one of those plugins are the cause.

carles1

Danny couldn't it be the PHP version 5.3 the only problem?

Danny

No, I don't think so. Although we recommend using the latest version of PHP i.e. 5.5, DMS should work in 5.2 (although not recommended) and greater. So the issue is likely coming from one of your plugins.

If you disable them all and the issue persists, then its likely related to your server setup.

carles1

Hi, it seems a little bit extrange. If I disable the 'Coming soon' plugin and I access, not as administrator, to the website via IE (I'm using Chrome) I see the Home page with the iboxes that I designed but disappeared (or, at least, I can not see anymore in DMS). They should appear in the Home page in the DMS designer but don't, linked to the 'home page' template.

Then, I disabled all the plugins except DMS Professional Tools and PageLines Updater, but it happens the same as described above.

Then, I updated to PHP 5.5.9 and it happens the same as described above, too.

any advice?

tsalstrand

This is clearly an issue with the most recent DMS update. I wasn't having any problems until I updated DMS on http://imprintentertainment.co and now experience the same thing - except in my case it's only affecting the Header & footer because they are not apart of the page templates. 

As you can see from this screencast - I tried to remove the white background of the header section. At first with the plugins active and then second with them inactive. 

http://screencast.com/t/7Kc7chXVFr2o

Please help us find a solution to this as quickly as possible. 

carles1

In my case, an ibox section I added in the Header area has disapeared (at least twice) and, in this case, it doesn't appear when entering as not administrator. So it seems that has been deleted.

I'm using, since the first day, more than 1 week ago, the DMS 2.1 version.

banded
Ik is strange that we have the exact same issues, without the plugins. If the problemen persists after updating to php 5.5 as beeing done bij Carles i doubt it is the php version that is causing the problem.

Danny

As both of you're saying you have no plugins, the likely cause is your hosting environment, this could be how your host as configured PHP, it could be cache. The issue isn't DMS, as sections disappearing isn't something I can recreate, locally or live on a VPS I have.

The best thing you can do is ask your host how the server is configured and then provide that information to us. Tell them to be as specific as possible.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?