Sign in to follow this  
fbrophy

PlatformPro v PlatformPro Base

fbrophy

Hi, I'm using PlatformPro Base for building my site. Do I need to upgrade each new version of Platform Pro as they are released? i.e. does having the latest version of PlatformPro installed but not active have any impact on the PlatformPro Base theme I'm working in? Thanks, Fiona

Andrew

Hi Fiona, Upgrading is optional.. upgrades generally provide new options or fix bugs, but it's entirely up to you :)

fbrophy

Sure, but what I was wondering is, if I upgrade to the latest version of PlatformPro, but my theme is PlatformPro Base, will it fix bugs etc..? Does one theme (not active) have an impact on the other?

nett-ed

The base theme gets most of it's functionality from the parent PlatformPro theme. In that sense upgrading PlatformPro would affect the base theme getting those core functions updated just as well. I'd suggest to upgrade both if they both have upgrades available just so you avoid any compatibility issues that may arise from code that changes on the parent theme.

cmlstudios

Agree with Eduardo partly. Definitely keep your Platform Pro up to date. Upgrading it is highly unlikely to change anything visibly on your site but may add features and fixes that make life better. On the other hand, if you're happy with your site as it is, I don't think updating the Platform Base theme is a good idea. There is a much better chance of overwriting a customization with the new child theme.... Just my opinion here. Would have to defer to Andrew and Adam on the official word about updating. Chris

dustinfaddis

Yeah, so on the PP Updates, Platform Base is not to be "updated". When they make changes to the theme they do so in the PlatformPro theme. So when you are using the Base-Child Theme, you only download the "Platform Pro theme" from the PL Launch Pad. If you are using the PlatformPro Base theme you do not "activate" the "Updated" PlatformPro Theme in WP Admin. Does this mean that you can delete the old theme version from you WP themes folder? I don't think so. The way the theme folders are written, they are linked together and are still utilized as a group. This is correct right?

onlinetracker

Although PlatformPro Base does get updated periodically. It is currently on 1.0.4 or .5, there isn't a changelog for Base though, so the only way to know right now is to download it/upload it to the themes directory. Whenever PP is updated, I match it with a Base download just to make sure nothing changed. If everything is the same, I don't have to update code in the Base.