Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jane

Megamenu - make parent clickable?

jane

I've been working with megamenu and found having the menu open on click (as opposed to hover) works best on desktop and mobile. But I found the trade off is this: if you have a parent without children, the parent is clickable. But if you have parent with children, the parent is no longer clickable.

This isn't surprising to me as I'm used to parents not being clickable when there are children. However with the set up I have now, it's a bit confusing to the user to have some clickable parents and some non-clickable parents.

Is there a way for me to make all the parents clickable AND have a menu that opens on click? Or will I have to have a menu that's activated on hover for this to work?

Danny

Hi,

Not sure what you mean, the Navi section when using Megamenu still allows parent menu items to be a link ? The megamenu is opened on hover and not click. If a parent isn't clickable, is it because you haven't gave it a link.

An example can be seen on the DMS demo - the parent items all have links - http://themes.pagelines.com/dms/

Please search our forums, before posting!

jane

My menu opens on click, when the example you provided is a menu that opens on hover. I find when menu opens on hover the parents are always clickable but when it opens on click, the parent is unclickable if it has children.

Danny

You have changed the Layout and Nav setting from hover to click.

Goto DMS Toolbar > Site Settings > Layout & Nav and there should be an option called - Standard Nav Dropdown Toggle, change that from "On Click" to "On Hover".

jane

Yes I know; doesn't answer my question but thanks

Danny

It does answer your question, not sure why you think otherwise. If you're wondering as to why when you set it to click to open a sub menu and why this doesn't keep your link intact, then the answer is, how can you have a menu open via click and also have a link, you can't, if you click it it will mean it will open your menu and go to a page or external website at the same time.

So if you want to have your menu items open via click your parent items will not be able to have a link. If you choose the hover option instead, then your parent items can have a link.

On Click = No parent menu items have a link, as the click action needs to open the sub menu. It can't do two things at once.

On Hover = Parent menu items have a link that works as that is the only thing they need to do, as the sub menu is opened upon hover.