Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seatangltd

Child theme modifications not working - sections and LESS

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Hi

I copied the 'sections' and 'LESS' directories from the DMS2 theme directory to my child theme directory, but I cannot edit them in the Wordpress editor. I tried editing them with FTP but the changes don't seem to take effect. 

I'm using the skeleton child theme made by Danny.

Any idea what the issue is?

Thanks

Peter

Danny    1,327
Danny

Hi Peter,

You can not use the WordPress editor to edit .less files as WordPress doesn't natively support LESS CSS nor can you edit the sections folder. To be honest, you shouldn't be using the WordPress editor to make changes such as these, as if you generate an error via PHP, the most common outcome is for you to receive a PHP error which will prevent you access to the WordPress dashboard, until the error is resolved.

What I would recommend is you use an FTP client and configure it so that a code editor will open the files. From there you can add your changes and should you encounter a PHP error, you can simply use edit > undo and then save, this will resolve your error and give you access to the WordPress Dashboard again.

However, if you're using this FTP method and none of the changes are taking effect, which they should. The most likely cause is an error in your code. Therefore, can you provide the code you're attempting to add so I can test it on my test sit using Skeleton.

Please search our forums, before posting!

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Hi Danny,

Yes, that is the way I have been editing the files with FTP. Here is an example of a modification I tried to make:

To change the link text of iBox from 'More' to 'Go':

I changed line 293 of the section.php file (in the ibox directory) from:

$text_link = ($link) ? sprintf('<div class="ibox-link"><a href="%s">%s <i class="icon icon-angle-right"></i></a></div>', $link, __('More', 'pagelines')) : '';

to:

$text_link = ($link) ? sprintf('<div class="ibox-link"><a href="%s">%s <i class="icon icon-angle-right"></i></a></div>', $link, __('Go', 'pagelines')) : '';

But it didn't change the link text.

seatangltd    0
seatangltd

Danny, any luck with this?

Also, can I use my pagelines key to activate DMS on another site I am also working on?

Danny    1,327
Danny

You edited the wrong line of code, you need to edit line 167.

Also please be aware that we do not provide support to users who edit sections via a child theme as this is considered user created code. So if you encounter any other issues when overriding sections, we are unable to help.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?