Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

timjay

Is there a way to assign templates via Wordpress admin

timjay

I have pages that are not loading in DMS. DMS gives an error and doesn't load. most likely because there is javascript in the pages and custom html.

Therefore, I need to be able to assign custom templates to these pages via the Wordpress editor and not via DMS.

Is there a way to do this. If not, can this be considered in future updates. 

Also any ideas for workaround with this issue.

EDIT: Basically, I am finding that DMS breaks any and every page I have that uses custom javascript. Either the DMS doesn't load, or my javascript doesn't. I keep trying to give DMS a chance, but it just isn't working for me.

timjay

There needs to be a way coders can add javascript to their posts without breaking the system. For instance, I create interactive content with javascript and html5 (data visualization, charts, maps, etc.) Other themes, including Pagelines Framework, give me no problem with this. Why are there ways in DMS to safely add custom styling and CSS, but not javascript?

Simon

If you really must add javascript to a post/page content you really should consider using a WordPress 'action' in your functions.php file.

The editor is coded with jQuery/javascript. We have no control of user added javascript.

There is already a way to apply templates from the page edit screen in wp-admin, you can also bulk apply templates in the pages area too.

timjay

Thank you for your response.

Sorry, I was not clear. I need a way to apply templates to posts from the post-edit screen. Is there a way to do this. I don't see it

Editing functions.php actions can be a workaround, but definitely not ideal for javascript to be frequently added to individual posts, not when I can just purchase/use another theme

Simon
You can apply templates to pages from the page edit screen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GetMeWebDesign

timjay Posts can not have different templates assigned using standard wordpress. Posts are assigned a global template

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

timjay

Thank you for responding GetMeWebDesign. Pagelines Framework allows you to alter the template for individual posts and also works with plugins that do it. DMS does not.

This is just a bit frustrating, because in my opinion, DMS has different, not necessarily all better, capabilities than Pagelines Framework. Yet Framework has been abandoned and DMS is supposed to be an upgrade. I am therefore expected to abandon Framework, even though DMS doesn't do what I need it to or all the things Framework does/did.

Framework itself let users change the layout for each individual post, and also lets you use plugins like "custom post templates." Framework also lets me add my own html and javascript to each posts without falling apart. Yet DMS doesn't allow any of this. So I can't use it.

GetMeWebDesign

timjay are you trying to change the style or is it layout as well for individual posts? Is it for post categories of on an individual post basis?

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

timjay

I need the option to remove either or both sidebars for any individual post I choose. I can do this in Framework using "Page Setup" under  "Pagelines Meta Settings" on the edit post page for each individual post. I can also do this in other themes using the "custom post templates" plugin, which allows me to design a custom php single template and apply it to any post, much like adding a template to a page.

GetMeWebDesign

This can be achieved either by using the Pagelines Pro > Allow Hidden sections, then under each post in DMS live Editor > Standard options for that sidebar, enter the post id. 

However, using Custom Post Types UI, I was able to set a template "One sidebar" and "No sidebar", using normal posts with template with two sidebars. I had to set up separate custom posts for each type of template, as the template applied to one applies globally across that custom post type

Hope that helps

maggiebbass

I think I want to do something similar to the above, and I wonder if anyone can help me out considering I have DMS 2. (Maybe there's a work around that wasn't available in the prior DMS??)

What I'd like to do is this: I have a website with 6 different categories and I'd like to play around with the layouts and graphics depending on the content and/or category type. For example, I'd like to use maybe a rev slider in one post so I can have a full with image - separate from my header, but above the post title. And maybe on another post I want a full width content area to fill half the screen with an image and the other half with text-- like an open book or something.

I really like how things are laid out on this new storyform.co plugin that I've recently discovered, that's also the vibe I'm kind of going for. I'm having trouble figuring out how to make the plugin work inside of DMS2, but with all the flexibility of the DMS 2 I've already been able to re-create one of these layout looks and saved it in the general template section.  But I don't want all the posts to have the same things. A rev slider inside one post, maybe a masthead inside another post. The only thing I want the same is the sidebar at the bottom. Which was easy enough to do. There's gotta be some way to do this, right??

I've allowed the hidden sections, but I don't want to hide it (ex rev slider) on specific pages, I want to show it on specific pages. (But i want the images inside the rev slider to be different per article.)

I've installed the Custom Post Types UI plugin as mentioned above, but I don't understand how to use it...

And what does this ipage handling do under the template section?? I see local- layout is current page specific; and type- layout is current page type specific. What does this do?

Can anyone help?