Sign in to follow this  
compartmentlife

Making each menu item a different color?

compartmentlife

site: [url=http://www.compartmentlife.com] I would like to make each word in the menu a different color so I can essentially "color code" my categories. I know how to change the color of all the text, but not each item separately. I attempted trying to figure out how to call out "menu-item-17" and set a color, but I couldn't get it to work.

cmunns

You were on the right track, but you'd have to apply a . before it e.g. for a black background on this one... ` #primary-nav ul li.menu-item-17 { background:#000000; } `

compartmentlife

Thanks! That is very close, but I want the text color to change, not the background... This however, does not work:

#primary-nav ul li.menu-item-17 {
	color:#3366ff;
	}
Then, if I want to get more complicated, can I have the background INVERT the colors on HOVER like this?
	#primary-nav .main-nav li.menuitem-17 a:hover { color: #FFFFFF; background: #3366ff; }

Neither seems to work for me...

cmlstudios

I think you'll need to designate the a element: #primary-nav ul li.menu-item-17 a { color:#3366ff; } But I might be missing the syntax there.

compartmentlife

Thanks Chris, that worked... But the hover still isn't working and the

a:hover

is designated. Any ideas?

compartmentlife

I should note that it works if I don't designate (ie: leave out) the "menu item", but rather the entire menu.

catrina

Hi Matt, Hm, a:hover should work. Try pasting the following code into the base.css file (Appearance > Editor) for the Platform Child Theme (rather than adding it to the custom code box):

#primary-nav ul li.menu-item-17 a:hover {
	color:#3366ff;
	}

It's pretty much the same code but maybe the placement will make a difference.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

compartmentlife

I have tried using that code in the Custom Code box and it doesn't work. I have not yet tried your solution of editing the actual file. I'd rather keep all of my custom code in one location for ease of editing in the future, but I'll try it I suppose. Any other ideas in the mean time? Should I be placing the Hover color before or after normal Nav Text color? Does it matter?

compartmentlife

Alright. Got it to work. For some reason I cut and pasted the elements separately and it started working... I'm getting closer to my goal!