Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atcdomainsolutions

Might Be Silly But Have a Question About Local Development Of Sites

atcdomainsolutions

I have heard many ways other developers create sites. Having been in business for myself for 2 years now, when I get ready to build a site for a client, I always create a folder off of my main domain name and then install Wordpress to that folder and create the site "live" basically. 

I have now been reading how others build "locally" and then transfer to the client when they are complete. This is great and I have downloaded Xampp and set up two dummy sites pretty quickly and I LOVE the speed at which things move AND the fact I can develop anywhere.  

I have 3 questions though:

1.  Is there anyway to share the local site I'm developing on my computer with a client (minus doing screenshares)?  With it being local, I can only see it on my laptop but if someone else pulled that up, they, of course, would not be able to.  I thought I remember hearing a long time ago Xampp or Wamp or one of them had the ability to show your local site online to someone?

2.  (I'm in bed now) but I will check tomorrow but I got to thinking as I laid down...since developing locally provides a huge speed increase in adding pages, content, plugins, etc, is it possible to work within DMS if I'm somewhere and DON'T have an internet connection or do I still need that connection "present" so when it has to talk to the server, it can?

3.  What is the best way to deploy a local site to a live server for the client and will DMS fully switch over?  

These may seem like silly questions but I have just now decided to build locally  and after playing around a bit today with it, I LOVE it and it seems to speed things up a lot and I can now stop adding tons of Wordpress installs off of my main domains.

Danny

Hi,

1. Well I do not use XAMPP, I use mostly MAMP, but have started using Vagrant. In MAMP, it provides functionality for dynamic DNS, which allows you to easily connect your local server to the internet providing access to your work to clients, I am not sure if this feature is in XAMPP, as I have only used once or twice.

If that feature isn't available in XAMPP, I would recommend switching to MAMP if you're a Mac user (Windows version of MAMP in beta I think) or you could try this:

https://forwardhq.com/

2. There should be no issues with having no internet, as far as I am aware.

3. Well you can do the usually method of developing locally, then when the site is ready. Install both WordPress and DMS on the live site and import everything. You could also just deploy them, see this article here - http://css-tricks.com/deployment/

Please search our forums, before posting!

atcdomainsolutions

Hi,

1. Well I do not use XAMPP, I use mostly MAMP, but have started using Vagrant. In MAMP, it provides functionality for dynamic DNS, which allows you to easily connect your local server to the internet providing access to your work to clients, I am not sure if this feature is in XAMPP, as I have only used once or twice.

If that feature isn't available in XAMPP, I would recommend switching to MAMP if you're a Mac user (Windows version of MAMP in beta I think) or you could try this:

https://forwardhq.com/

2. There should be no issues with having no internet, as far as I am aware.

3. Well you can do the usually method of developing locally, then when the site is ready. Install both WordPress and DMS on the live site and import everything. You could also just deploy them, see this article here - http://css-tricks.com/deployment/

Thanks!  Will look into this!  Sounds like exactly what I need.

chrisayers

You can run xampp with a free DNS forwarder like no-ip for stuff like this. you get a silly address like mysite.servebeer.com but works great for a no-brainer. Then when you are on home network you can port forward it pretty fast. On the go..... Got me there.

atcdomainsolutions

You can run xampp with a free DNS forwarder like no-ip for stuff like this. you get a silly address like mysite.servebeer.com but works great for a no-brainer. Then when you are on home network you can port forward it pretty fast. On the go..... Got me there.

Chris

So the no-ip.com...that allows me to give sites the ability to view my local sites or is that what the port forwarding is for?  Guess I'm just curious as to what is needed to allow local sites to be seen by clients.  Are both of those needed?

You can send me a direct message if needed but definitely interested in learning how that works (in simple terms)

Aires

@chrisayers@Danny Thats some useful info there I have always exported and imported to a demo site for clients to view. I will have to give this a try.

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Danny

No problem.

chrisayers thanks for sharing regarding XAMPP.

chrisayers

No problem guys. I got tied up for about a week and did not check back on this one. @atc  no-ip just masks your home IP with a generic (free) domain name. Your clients do not need to download it. Just remember only use this for a quick local solution as security is not going to be great. Anyone feel free to PM me bout stuff. I learn this way too so everyone wins. I will not pretend to be a know it all Danny has helped me many times with no-brainers.

RickUK123

Hi,

to develop locally I installed the latest WAMP and Wordpress 4.0. But cannot upload the DMS...

When I tried uploading the theme through "add new" in the themes page, after selecting the dms.zip and pressing "install now" it brings up a new page asking "Are you sure you want to do this?" and the only option is a clickable text saying "Please try again". When I click on it it goes back to the load page where you select the file and it still hasn't install anything... just starting the same cycle again...

When I unzipped the dms.zip file into a folder under the themes folder it still didn't dork...

Can someone please help.

Many thanks

Rick

Danny

RickUK123 - Would it be possible to to create your own topic please.

• Similar Content

• Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a few weeks ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• tuciudadenred
      By tuciudadenred+
      Hi everyone, what happens is that the web page metrosalarmas.com has a google tags which I have not attacked where I can look to remove those tags and be able to locate the correct ones.
    • Steve Webb
      By Steve Webb+
      I am having an issue with DMS editor not loading.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.
      Have tried several things - Logged in and out, cleared cache, deactivated all plugins, but the issue persists.
      I even had our host restore from a backup a week ago, when I know it WAS working, as I edited a text box on the homepage.  The restore from backup didn't help either.
      Also, the front end of the site shows that the site is framed, or boxed now (whatever you call it), instead of full width as it was previously (last week).
      Dev console shows that there are php errors in Google maps - file is attached.
      Can someone please help?  Not sure what else I can do here...
      Thanks in advance.
      -Matt

• JawDesigns
      By JawDesigns
      Hi everyone,
      Flywheel have reported errors on my clients site 'www.racewaredirect.co.uk' and it's not loading. Can someone please provide some information on how to fix this? The site has never experienced these issues before.
      Thanks,
      James Wilson
    • MissT
      By MissT+
      Hi there,
      I've got an issue with 3 websites built with DMS since I migrated them from http to https that I need help with please.
      When any changes are made - e.g. new posts added or existing posts amended - certain sections of the live site seem to break e.g. image headers hang and don't load (b/g on canvas section), sliders hang and don't load (Revslider), flipper section doesn't load.
      Logging in and then clicking 'Edit the site using DMS' seems to fix the problem. Often if I try to open up another browser window to edit the site / re publish I'm unable to as the page wont load / hangs while trying to load.
      Any ideas how to fix this? On a couple of the sites I've installed a caching plugin as I thought it might be a loading speed issue but it's still happening.
      Website URL's can be provided privately.
      Many thanks in advance.