Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kbaird62

Can't update templates

kbaird62

I apologize for being a newbie.  I just installed DMS 2 and am trying to get started.  I have gone into the customize section, loaded the default template and created a new header and footer.  I have hit the update button.  I then tried to save the changes (page) as a new template named Joey's Song Template.  It appears to save and work.  I am able to go to a browser and see the header and footer.  Then I go back and change back to the default template for a page and publish.  Then I go back to the Joey's Song template and the new header and footer are gone.

I am sure I am doing something very simple wrong, but I can't figure it out.  A little help would be greatly appreciated.

greenfly

Sorry if this sounds pretty basic but have you added the Header to the header areas rather than the template and the footer to the footer areas again not part of the actual page template area?

Does this make sense?

Could you screenshot the layout for us please?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

kbaird62

I don't mind the most basic of questions as I am probably doing something very basically wrong.  Here is a screen shot of a page setup with the "Joeys Song Test" template:

http://joeyssong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-22-09.23.40.png

I was able to then go add a new page and choose the"Joey's Song Test" template and the page changed to reflect the header in that template.

I then went back to appearance - customize and when I load the "Joeys Song Test" template this is what I get:

http://joeyssong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-22-09.26.08.png

As you can see it says it is the "Joeys Song Test Template", but the header is now back to the base that comes with DMS.

I am convinced I am doing something stupid, but am at a loss.

Thanks for your help.  p.s. if anyone is willing to donate an hour of TeamViewer teaching with me, I will give you some really good music that you can't get anywhere else.  We are a 2 man charity that produces charity compilation CDs.  You can go to www.joeyssong.org to see them.  

greenfly

Unfortunately i cannot access your site as it appears to be blocked by google for malware http://screencast.com/t/wP9U0s0FV

Could you take screenshots with jing and add the links to the screenshots in the reply. You can get jing from here http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

EDIT - Joeyssong.org & joeyssong.com are both blocked http://screencast.com/t/57rvu8uEzb

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Simon

The version of WordPress you have installed is over 4 years out out date, there has been 27 versions in the mean time.

kbaird62

Thanks, I know that google is blocking my sites which is why I am trying to install DMS and build a new site.  We were on an old version of WordPress and Platform Pro and got hacked.  I thought it was time to bring us up to date.  The .com site is actually a completely new site, fresh install of Wordpress and DMS2, so it is safe to visit, google just hasn't re-instated it yet.  

Google isn't allowing me to paste the Jing captures here, so I just put them on another site I have parked.  Here they are:

http://lonepirateracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-22-09.23.40.png

http://lonepirateracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-22-09.26.08.png

Danny

Can you provide a link to the DMS powered site please, as the link above is using Platform Pro and an old version of WP.

Also, are you saying that when you add content to the Header template area save your changes and then visit another page, those changes are not visible ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

kbaird62

Danny, please make sure you are visiting www.joeyssong.com not .ORG  The .com site is the one I am using as my development site where I have DMS2 installed on the latest version of WordPress.

Google has now removed the malware block from .com so you can see the two screenshots here:

http://joeyssong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-22-09.23.40.png 

http://joeyssong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-22-09.26.08.png

I am also including a link to a screen shot of my themes page to show that I have DMS2 active

http://joeyssong.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Com-theme-screen-capture.jpg

Here is a step by step of what I am experiencing:

1. I go into appearance, customize

2. I change the header, footer, etc and SAVE as a new template.  In this case "Joeys Song Test Template"

3. I go create a new page and choose the "Joey's Song Test Template"  for my template and publish.  I hit the View Page button which opens the page in a new browser page. You can see this page in the first screen shot above, with "Joeys Song Test Template" clearly visible in the orange text.  I leave this web browser open with this page up.

4. Next I return to the appearance - customize and load the "Joeys Song Test Template".  When I do this, ALL the changes that were saved previously are now gone and it has reverted to the default sections.  This you can see in the second screen shot above.

5.  I return to the web browser with the new page up and hit the refresh button and the changes are gone there as well.

Clearly, I am doing something very wrong, or the changes are not being saved properly by DMS2 or are somehow being reverted by DMS2.

I am happy to make you a user with full access to this site if you would like to experience it for yourself.

kbaird62

Do you have any idea how to resolve this issue?  If I can't get this resolved I will have to proceed with another theme.  Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to get this figured out.

Thanks

Simon

Please try without clicking customize.

kbaird62

Simon, I don't understand your suggestion?  What is the use of DMS2 if I can't customize it?  Am I missing something?

Kevin

Simon

I go into appearance, customize

Dont use the customize link. Just go to your front page and edit from there.

kbaird62

Same problem.  Do you have any ideas what is going on with this issue?  Do you want to gain access to the site to try to identify the problem.  I am getting frustrated as we have had this problem now for 6 days with no idea what is causing it or how to resolve the issue so I can move forward with building a website.

Can you please give me your plan for diagnosing and resolving this issue?  I need something concrete to feel as though we are going to make some progress.

greenfly

If you would like to create an admin logon for your site and send us the credentials by email to hello @ PageLines dot com along with a link to this forum topic we can take a look for you. 

kbaird62

An administrator id has been set up with an id of PLHELP.  The PW has been sent to hello @ pagelines dot com.  

Please let me know as soon as you have had a chance to look at this issue.  Thanks.

royofnorway

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I make customizations, upload a new logo etc. But all changes are reverted and the BMS 2 logo appears. 

Please provide a resolution.

greenfly

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I make customizations, upload a new logo etc. But all changes are reverted and the BMS 2 logo appears. 

Please provide a resolution.

Please create you own topic and we will look into this for you 

kbaird62

Martin, is anyone logging into the Joey's Song site and looking at this problem for us?  I am now a week into having the product and have simply lost a week of productivity.  Please give me an update.

thanks

greenfly

Martin, is anyone logging into the Joey's Song site and looking at this problem for us?  I am now a week into having the product and have simply lost a week of productivity.  Please give me an update.

thanks

yep - your logon was received today and was added to your post for admins to see. Your issue will be investigated in order of issues received. We will update you shortly. 

greenfly

In your Pro Tools settings you had the Memory test checked. http://screencast.com/t/RKN5I1Lb

Please uncheck this and let us know if you still have the problem. 

I logged in to your site with this not enabled (i re-enabled it after testing) and saw that you had the Joeys Song Test template set as your home page.

This template was a saved version of the view you would see if you used the customize link OR visit the front end of the site for the first time after activating the DMS2 theme. (the welcome page) 

The first step i took 

I added a text box to the header and added some text to this.

Then

So I loaded the Joey Song Test template you created  and saved this page as a new template called TEST TEMPLATE MARTIN.

Both stayed the same. saved and refreshed and no changes happened - no elements were lost. 

I then created a new page called (TESTDMSPL) and assigned the TEST TEMPLATE MARTIN template to this page. The page displayed as the home page does. 

Both pages displayed the title section that displays the page name. 

The text box i added to the header remains on all pages. 

Same problem.  Do you have any ideas what is going on with this issue?  Do you want to gain access to the site to try to identify the problem.  I am getting frustrated as we have had this problem now for 6 days with no idea what is causing it or how to resolve the issue so I can move forward with building a website.

Can you please give me your plan for diagnosing and resolving this issue?  I need something concrete to feel as though we are going to make some progress.

when you say same problem here - what exactly do you mean? if you are not clicking customize to view the site and then saving that welcome page as a default template the header will not be lost. 

I have tested the templates and your pages and everything seems to be working as it should. 

Give it a go and let us know how you get on 

kbaird62

Martin, I think we have gotten over the first obstacle of being able to save  Template changes and not have them disappear.  However I seem to be having a new issue.  When I update a new saved template, in this case Joey's Song template,, it seems to be making the changes to every template including the Pagelines provided templates like "Landing Page".

Could you please log back into our system and see what is going on so I can create different templates?

Thank you.

Kevin

kbaird62

Martin, I did some further research and think I found my problem.  I had to move the changes down below the "template" line and it seems to work.  Please disregard for now.  Have a good weekend.

Kevin

Danny

Kevin, if I understand your last post correctly, it would appear that you have been adding sections to the Header Template Area, this area like the Footer is a global template area which means that anything you add there will be universal throughout your site. If you want to have your templates have different layouts and sections then you need to add them to the Template area.

Please search our forums, before posting!

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?