Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmad

PinsPro Theme

jmad

This theme looks great.  Can the sections be released as just stand alone components?  The ScrollSlider and NavBoard Sections look handy and it would be nice to have the PinBlog section as an option on any DMS site.  Why are these committed as part of a theme?  From the designer side it would seem so much more practical to have these tools available as just sections.

Will updating to a DMS site to PinsPro cause formatting issues or would one be able to switch back and forth?

batman

Hi jmad

I have not had time yet to make a test but you can copy the sections to a Child Theme, I believe.

;)

Life is too short to remove USB safely ...

Aires
In the past with other themes I have done just as batman suggested... So it should work with pinspro

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

Aires
I will add that doing it that way the section will not update if the theme gets updated...so you will have to copy the updated files to the sections folder in your childtheme

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

ndTgvai.jpg

Visit iheartpagelines.com for the latest tutorials on PageLines related products.

jmad

Thanks guys and I was thinking along the same lines.

ProPins isn't a child theme....that's part of why I'm wondering if it will work the same.  Also, I still don't understand the logic of building sections for a Theme instead of just for DMS.

Simon

Theme authors can create sections just for their theme. If we included every possible section for every theme within core DMS there would be no other themes.

jmad

Okay so it's a business strategy decision.   DMS doesn't really need Themes as it is so customizable from a design view....just sections that allow more variance in layouts, posts, etc.

Can the sections of ProPins be pulled and used alone as Batman and Aires suggested?

Would ProPins if installed as the Core DMS theme be supported by DMS in the forums?

Simon

Its nothing like that. Ray coded PinsPro, he created those sections for PinsPro, sure if you have access to the PinsPro zip you can use those sections in your theme, why not?

If you created a theme and sold it on the store would you want your custom coded sections added to DMS?

mattranous

Okay, so please correct me if I'm wrong... but going forward; would I now just always install the ProPins theme off the bat instead of the DMS theme? Because ProPins has everything DMS has, plus some more sections?

I get that it will have different templates, and default sections, etc...

I guess going forward there may be various "core" themes with various sections included or available... but for now; the options are ProPins (with DMS sections + more) or DMS 2 (with just DMS sections). Right?

Just wondering if I'm missing something?

Simon

Well if you want a postpins section, you either use the postpins theme, or copy it into a child theme of dms. We are working on other themes too, and so are other authors.

jmad

So I was thinking that this is the monthly component provided in the Club membership...is it...it showed in my account.

Would ProPins if installed as the Core DMS theme be supported by DMS in the forums?  By installing one of these Themes will I still be able to take full advantage of the all the other components of DMS, are there going to be settings that need to be explored/learned (other than in the sections)? 

I'm still trying to understand how a Theme is more convenient than just sections or components built to add to DMS.  The beauty of DMS is the components and being able to so easily interchange.  I'd love to integrate NavBoard into a site but in order to do so my options would be to create a child theme and add that via FTP (are there new instructions on this with the new file structure) or I would need to install ProPins...which could cause issues with my current site?

Simon

If you want to take a component from one theme and use it in another then yes you will have to copy it into your theme. If we included all the pinspro sections in dms there would be no pinspro theme.

jmad

Exactly, makes more sense to me.  They don't all need included in DMS but as stand alone components to add in as plugin if desired.   Anyway if we use ProPins is it supported in the forum?

Simon

Anyway if we use ProPins is it supported in the forum?

Of course its a PageLines theme.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?