Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skip

DMS2 Template

Skip

Hello

Getting to know DMS2 but having a few snags...

Created page template and saved it.  All good...

Created pages for the website.  I go and edit each page using DMS and found that it was changing the content on all the pages.  

How do I stop this?

I read in the forum 

"Always unlink templates before making changes you only want on that particular page"  REF - http://pagelinescommunity.com/templates-in-pagelines-dms/

Problem I find is that it does not show where or describe where or how to unlink the templates from the different pages.  

However I found it in the middle of the template section and I unlocked it.  I still tried to save the page then as it's own and it still saved it to all the other pages.  I even did this after refreshing the page.

I would like to open a page with DMS pick a template for the page. Make my content and save it but not change ALL the pages.

The page about the difference in DMS1 & DMS2 was good about the differences in ways of telling by highlighting which template was active but again, it just does not explain what I need to do to keep the content of each page different after editing and it not changing the content to all the pages.

Also, I've tried creating  a new template for each page and after creating it, I made sure it was loaded on the page.  I did this by using another and then coming back to the one I created and then publishing it.  It still results in the same thing happening - all the pages get changed.

Example of the same content on multiple pages is found at - http://alphaomegafest.com/ (The pages within the site are all showing the same content when I publish form one it appears on the other...)

Again, please pardon the ignorance.  Your thoughtful consideration is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely.

Skip

Danny

Hi Skip.

The basics of templates are this:

1. The Fixed Area, Header Area and Footer area are what is called Global Template areas, this means that whatever you add to these areas will be universal throughout your site. So if you add anything to these areas on one page, and then make changes to these areas on another page, these changes will be made through the site.

2. When you create a template, if you want to then use that template for other pages, but make changes to the template area which do not effect other pages using that template. Then you need to unlock it, this essentially unlinks that template to the one you originally created.

If you're following this process, but are finding that it is adding your changes to other pages using this template, then you either are adding your changes to the global templates or are not unlinking the template.

If you feel you're following the correct procedure, then you're going to need to either record yourself doing these changes so we can see them or contact our helpdesk with the information mentioned below, so our staff can login and see the issue first hand.

Information for our helpdesk staff.

A link to the site in question

A link to this topic so they have something to reference

Your admin username/password

Make sure all plugins are disabled

Make sure DMS debug mode is active ~ DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

hello at pagelines dot com

Please search our forums, before posting!

Skip

Hello

I've captured on video the process for you to see here - http://www.screencast.com/users/SkipD/folders/Default/media/8157dcb8-8e6e-4513-ae0d-252529ca23d2

Here is the website & your login info.

Danny Note: Removed login credentials, for security purposes.

*All plugins have been disabled.

Degug has been made active.

Look forward to resolving this and charging ahead...

Have a good day & best of Providence.

Skip

Danny

I have attempted to look at your site, I logged in created two pages for me to test, but as soon as I go to the front end the DMS loading screen just freezes and nothing happens, does this happen to you?

The issue is likely related to your server, seeing as you have no plugins active or if you do not have any problem, it could be related to my internet, as I had some connection issues with your site.

I have removed your login credentials for you site and added them to a mod/admin view box only, I will get another one of our staff to look at your issue due to my connection issues.

Skip

Danny, I have never had this problem with our server.  It worked fast and fine with all the plugins I had installed and activated.  I disabled them all as per the instructions for support.  I hope you can find the problem so we can resolve this soon... This is a CentOs Linux server with cPanel administering the hosting.  If you need cPanel access, let me know...

Danny

Another one of my colleagues attempted to login to your site and the DMS visual editor wouldn't load, this may be related to our route to your server as both myself and Martin are from sunny Manchester, in the UK. I have attempted again this morning and the same thing occurs. I will try again later this evening.

Skip

Danny

Maybe using a proxy to access here in the U.S. could help.

I use HMA for different applications.

Because I must get this project moving forward, I will have to go and delete and create new pages and build them from scratch without a template and see how they do...  You are free to experiment, please let me know what you find.  I will need to turn on the plugins and you are free to turn them off if you like to test and discover what causes this problem.

Thanks for your support.

All the best of Providence.

Skip

Skip

Danny

Here is another thing to consider.  I've deleted the page permanently for speakers and bands.  I re-created the page and the page template is there with the content.  I will now try to delete all the pages except for the home page and start all over again with the different pages.

Skip

Danny

An update...

I deleted all the pages, emptied the trash for them as well.  Added a page back and the same content is there.  Something is seriously wrong here...  Thinking a cache issue or something.  I will see what else I find...

Skip

Danny

Another update...  I deleted all pages and categories and tried again and the page with the original is still there.

Looks like the entire website will have to be wiped out and start over.  I see this potentially being a disaster...

Skip

Danny

I deleted the entire databaes.  re-installed and added DMS2.  added pages.  On home page now without using any template I add the revslider with images, links, etc. As I'm adding more of the slides the page crashes and all the work is deleted...  Something seriously wrong with DMS2...  This has happened twice...

Skip

Danny

This time I created a home page template using the feature template.  Re-named it and saved it.  Adding revslider again loading the images and links it crashed the entire page.  Quick question.  Does Pagelines beta test before release or are they like microsoft where they release and fix after users find problems?  Can't seem to understand why all these problems.  I've had DMS since it first came out but never used it because of all these bugs and problems.  I was hoping that DMS2 would have had a lot more of them fixed but it seems to be going nowhere fast...  It is eating up a lot of time and creating loads of frustration for not only me but the people counting on me to get the site up and running properly...  Hope you guys can find out what is wrong sooner rather than later...

Skip

Danny

I went back and rebuilt all the pages.  I've tried to create each page as a stand alone and I still have the same problem as the page saving the same as another.  Specifically the Bands & Speakers pages.  I'v tried creating a template for each page and it still has the same problem.  Please find out what is wrong with DMS so I don't have to use a different template for this project.  I have yet to make a website where there was not a problem with DMS functioning without problems.

Thank you.

Sincerely.

Skip

greenfly

I had a look at this issue also and cannot access your admin page - i have been trying for the last hour or so http://screencast.com/t/SxTO8bg8m9q

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Skip

Hello Martin

I can't understand why you are all having problems accessing the website.

Here are two videos of the problems for you to see what is going on.  I hope that it is me where I'm just plain stupid and don't know what I'm doing but a lot here does not make sense.

Hope you can find out why you all can't get into the website.  If you need cPanel access, let me know.  If you think it would help, I can whitelist your IP addresses.

Below are the two videos.  I hope that at least this gives you an idea of the problems.

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration.

All the best of Providence.

Skip

http://www.screencast.com/t/x8FbkMJsX

http://www.screencast.com/t/qavoKevyf

greenfly

Please contact your host and report the issue with people trying to connect to your site. I have tried from two separate IP's today and via 3G and get the same issue. http://screencast.com/t/lQ7ToZsrkY

could you list all the plugins you have active on your site for us please?

Also, you seem to have a lot of tabs in chrome open at once. Have you tried clearing your browser cache totally and attempting to make the template change again?

Also, do the following - 

• If you could enable debug in site settings > advanced 
  • Add /?pldebug=1 to the end of your site URL 
  • Screenshot the results and share this with us. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

Skip

Hello

Please see attached screen shot.

If you need cPanel access, please let me know.

You can also try using www.hidemyass.com to get to the server by picking one here in the U.S.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Skip

Skip

Martin

I've done everything you suggested and captured it all on video here - http://www.screencast.com/t/Kt0S0AGng5

You can see how jacked up DMS2 really is.

If it is a matter of stupidity on my part, please let me know.  I'm just a simple guy here trying to build a website with your software.

Since I've had DMS, I've never been able to complete a website.  I had high hopes for your software but so far, it has been a huge problem getting it to work.

If you were me and having people count on you for a website in this situation, what would you do?

Time is of the essence with this project...

Do you recommend a different theme?

Please let me know...

If you don't have HMA, you can download it here and use my account to get a proxy to get into the server.

http://www.hidemyass.com/software/ 

Login: skipdreibelbis

Password: skip1607

Please let me know if there is a fix or if I'll have to wait for DMS3 for it to work right.

Thank you & best of Providence.

Skip

Danny

OK, I am still having connection issues to your site, it just won't load at all. I've tried a VPN and other methods and I get the same problem.

However, from looking at your video, it doesn't look like you have created a template, it looks like you're editing the default one, which has been applied to all pages, this is most likely the cause of your issue as far as I can tell.

As I am not able to recreate your problem on my end. Here is what I am doing.

I go to a page I have created for this example, lets call it Danny Page.

On Danny Page, I add the sections to the template where I want them and configure them.

I then save the changes and create a template called Basic page.

I then go to another page I have created called Danny Page 2, I then assign the Basic Page template to that page.

Danny Page 2 now looks like an ecact duplicate of the Danny Page

I then click on the unlock template and then configure the sections how I like, I then save these changes.

The changes I made to Danny Page 2 do not effect Danny Page.

Therefore, the issue is likely how you're editing the templates.

Skip

Hello Danny

Thanks for the ideas however, I've tried creating a template for each page yet it changes ALL the pages.

Here is the latest video where you can see how DMS2 has not been working properly.

http://www.screencast.com/t/pBsrCreetbr0

Again, if it is a matter of my stupidity, please let me know.

I'm getting more content for the website but am not able to post any of it effectively.

I've gone through several rebuilds from scratch but wind up with the same thing happening.

No idea why you can't get in using a proxy.  I have several people accessing the server from around the world without a problem.  From India to Romania there seems to be no problem except with your support.

I'm all about wanting this resolved and doing whatever I must on my end...

Please let me know.

Thank you...

Skip

Danny

When I add your site to is it down for me, it says your site is down for everyone - http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.alphaomegafest.com

Therefore, there is something wrong with your server configuration, if you have other people connecting to your site, this may also be the cause of your issue, if your server isn't configured correctly.

Skip

Hello Danny

I don't see this when I check it on other browsers or on the same website.

Please see screen shot attached.

I've also checked with our engineers on the server.

We have a dedicated server that uses cPanel to administer the hosting.

This is the same type of software that many of the largest hosting companies use around the world.

There is nothing special about the configuration for the web hosting.

Here is what the engineers report about the server.

The current cPanel version is 11.42.1.16 and apache and php versions are 2.2.26 and 5.4.26 repectievly. The server OS is CentOS release 6.5 (Final) with 64 bit architecture.

Also the domain www.alphaomegafest.com is loading fine for us and we couldn't see any server side issue right now.

So it may be an issue with the DMS software. Please see the attached screen shot as proof.

Please see the details below.

===============
root@server [~]# cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
--
root@server [~]# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.26 (Unix)
Server built: Mar 10 2014 15:37:22
Cpanel::Easy::Apache v3.24.12 rev9999
--
root@server [~]# php -v
PHP 5.4.26 (cli) (built: Mar 10 2014 15:44:37) 
Copyright (c) 1997-2014 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
with eAccelerator v0.9.6.1-ea, Copyright (c) 2004-2012 eAccelerator, by eAccelerator
with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.4.1, Copyright (c) 2002-2013, by ionCube Ltd.
--
root@server [~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
--
root@server [~]# arch
x86_64
--
root@server [~]# php -m
[PHP Modules]
apc
bcmath
bz2
calendar
Core
ctype
curl
date
dom
eAccelerator
ereg
exif
filter
ftp
gd
gettext
hash
iconv
imap
ionCube Loader
json
libxml
mbstring
mcrypt
memcache
mysql
mysqli
mysqlnd
openssl
pcre
PDO
pdo_mysql
pdo_sqlite
Phar
posix
pspell
Reflection
session
SimpleXML
snmp
soap
sockets
SPL
sqlite3
standard
tidy
timezonedb
tokenizer
xml
xmlreader
xmlrpc
xmlwriter
zip
zlib

[Zend Modules]
eAccelerator
the ionCube PHP Loader

root@server [~]# 
==================

If people from all around the world can access the website and the server, could it be a problem with your ISP, your proxy service or DMS or a combination of all thee?

Please resolve this matter and let me know what is wrong.

Thank you.

Skip

greenfly

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i also cannot access your site and neither can my wife. 

I simply get a blank page as page stops loading and subsequently http://screencast.com/t/HcbqZYP0xp

I have tried all browsers available on a mac with the same result. My Partner is on a Windows PC in her office and a different ISP. I have followed all the steps recommended via google to resolve this to no effect. 

Must be a server issue that you host will need to investigate. Not a DMS issue (at least connecting to the site) as the site doesn't load at all let alone load DMS or WordPress. 

Who is hosting your site?

Skip

Martin

I host my own websites on my own dedicated servers with the parameters you read in previous posts.

The videos I've posted do show the failure of DMS.

I will call the server farm tomorrow and find out if it is a routing issue.

What is your IP or if you could give me a list of IP's I can make sure they are whitelisted.  However, this is for cPanel access.  Website access should not be an issue.  People from around the world access our websites.  Including some of the engineers who were in India who scanned the server and checked the settings and produced the report in prior posts.  I will have an answer to you as soon as I'm able if it is a routing issue.  Knowing your IP addresses will help.

Thank you.

Skip

Danny

Skip, there is most definitely an issue with your hosting, as none of our team can access your site, this includes myself (UK), Martin (UK), Stefan (Romania). I have even asked family members who live in Australia, they encountered the same problem, your site just doesn't load.

Due to the fact that so many of our team, are having issues connecting to your site, who are not on the same networks or routes, (myself and Martin I most likely on the same route/network), but Stefan isn't nor are my family members from Australia. Therefore, in my opinion, your issue is server related or hosting company. I am able to create multiple templates, unlink them and have those changes relate to that template only and not effect all other templates.

To try and resolve your issue, we will need the following information.

Who hosts your site, meaning where do you buy your dedicated server from ?

Can you provide PHP.info please

Can you enable DMS debug mode and provide a screenshot the information.

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?