Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mtaus

Add <ul> tag before <li> removes bullets

mtaus+    5
mtaus

On the page below, I have a Hero section which contains an unordered list that with a few list items. However, when I add <ul> tags around the list items all of the bullet points disappear. If I remove the ul tags, the the bullets will disaply, but I don't think this is valid HTML.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

http://blog.abodo.com/apartment-search-app/

Wordpress 3.9.1

PageLines v1.1.8

atcdomainsolutions+    63
atcdomainsolutions

On the page below, I have a Hero section which contains an unordered list that with a few list items. However, when I add <ul> tags around the list items all of the bullet points disappear. If I remove the ul tags, the the bullets will disaply, but I don't think this is valid HTML.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

http://blog.abodo.com/apartment-search-app/

Wordpress 3.9.1
PageLines v1.1.8

I had this issue awhile back and had to add padding or margin left CSS to move the bullets over so they were visible. Start with something like 1% and play with it.

mtaus+    5
mtaus

atcdomainsolutions thanks for that feedback... but I was actually asking a different question. my list items are displaying correctly, but only if I DON'T include the <ul> tags. It's my understanding that ul tags are appropriate and required fro cross-browser compatibility. However, if I add them the bullets disappear.

greenfly    230
greenfly

<ul> tags should be the indicator to your browser that the list is an unordered list and should come before <li> 

i can see on your site you have http://screencast.com/t/yclegVXyCaW

Seems to be working - did you manage to fix this? 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

mtaus+    5
mtaus

Martin Davies, I understand the purpose of ul tags. As I noted above, the problem was that when I included ul tags before the li tags, the bullets disappeared. They did appear when I removed the ul tags, but that would be invalid HTML.

It is working properly now because I switched from a Hero section to a MediaBox to work around this issue.

Danny    1,327
Danny

What code did you use, can you provide it in your reply please and also you added your list code to a Hero section, which caused the bullets to disappear ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

mtaus+    5
mtaus

Danny yea, I don't have exact code, because I rebuilt the section. But it looked like this:

<ul>

<li>first list item</li>

<li>second list items</li>

<ul>

when I included the ul tags, the bullets did not display.

Danny    1,327
Danny

OK, this is because by default the list styling comes from the .hentry class which is in most sections, but isn't there for the Hero so the it uses the basic styling for <ul> or <ol> which is set to list none.

So if you want to use a list in a Hero section, you will need to give the <ul> a class and add some basic styling or use the following:

.section-hero ul {
list-style-type: disc;
}
  • Like 1

mtaus+    5
mtaus

Danny thanks 

Danny    1,327
Danny

No problem.

pazyluz+    1
pazyluz

Regarding the above, I figured it out.  Also discovered the html tag for bullet point: "&bull;" which can be inserted just like the non-breaking space "&nbsp;"

• Similar Content

• mundocaco
      By mundocaco+
      Hello, inexplicably few signs have appeared at the beginning of each excerpts, removing the option these signs disappear, but appear when I activate it again. You know why happen this?.

Yo can see online here: http://www.latitudestudio.eu/press-news/ 

• Louis
      By Louis
      The title says it all. I checked out the forum and the last post about this issue was back in 2012 and they suggested adding in the <ul> and <li> to the post's html. That's already there and so I'm sort of stuck. 

And I actually had another question so I'll just post it here. 

Is there any way to increase the height of the excerpts and be able to put a picture underneath the Title so that it shows up in the excerpt? 

and is there a way to delete the revisions of posts? I don't want to take up unnecessary space.

Thank you,

Louis

incase you need my website it is www.gutjourney.com 
    • dherries
      By dherries
      I am trying to add a widgetizer to my page/post and the system does not let it drag. The system creates  large Widgetizer logo and nothing will happen. What am I doing wrong?  I am using DSM 1.1.9.  Website is www.moveincache.com
    • mundocaco
      By mundocaco+
      Hello everyone. :)   Is possible set a selected Section Area to height of window browser with custom CSS, just like DMS2 presets? Someone knows some best practice?   I know how to set to fixed footer, but i think this case of study is different.   Thanks!
    • webmktco
      By webmktco+
      Website URL: http://www.schrumpfdds.com/
      Framework Version: DMS 1.1.9
      WordPress Version: 4.1.1

I noticed that the Font Awesome version in my theme is 3.2.1.

Can you tell me how I can update the FA version? Or is that not possible?