Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jane

"load more posts" text - PostPins button

jane

Hi,

I had a look at the postpins.php file and found 2 instances of the text "load more posts". I need to change this so that it's just a downward pointing arrow ( ⌄ ) 

The text show up on lines 104 and 209 - do I have to change both lines?

Or is there another way I can change this text?

greenfly

Could we have a link to your site so that we can see how you have this setup?

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

jane

Hi Martin Davies here is the link:

greenfly

You can change this but if you do, when the plugin is updated (expected in a week or so to fix a small layout bug,  you will lose the changes and need to make them again. The dev won't support the plugin if you make changes to it and issues arise.  

Try swapping the text for a font-awesome icon such as <i class="fa fa-arrow-down"></i>

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/arrow-down/

You could try leaving the plugin as is and copying the plugin and renaming it - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7764413/how-to-rename-wordpress-plugin

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

jane

Hi Martin Davies thanks for the font-awesome suggestion, I like that much better. And I'll wait until the plugin gets updated so that I can copy and then rename those files.

I do have some follow up questions so please bear with me:

If I understand renaming a plugin correctly, I can copy all the contents in the "postpins" folder (found in the plugins directory), make the changes I want to the postpins.php file, rename whole folder to "postpins2", then upload that back to the plugin directory?

Was I correct  in assuming that I have to change the text on lines 104 and 209 in order for it to work?

For example:

Line 104:                         jQuery('.fetchpins a').removeClass('loading').text('<?php _e('Load More Posts', 'pagelines');?>');

Line 209:             $next_url = sprintf('<div class="%s fetchlink" %s><a class="btn" href="%s">%s</a></div>', $class, $display, $u, __('Load More Posts', 'pagelines'));

CHANGE TO:

Line 104:                         jQuery('.fetchpins a').removeClass('loading').text('<?php _e('<i class="fa fa-arrow-down"></i>', 'pagelines');?>');

Line 209:             $next_url = sprintf('<div class="%s fetchlink" %s><a class="btn" href="%s">%s</a></div>', $class, $display, $u, __('<i class="fa fa-arrow-down"></i>', 'pagelines'));

Thank you!

greenfly

Yep - Just replace the code as you listed above :) 

If you follow the instructions here you won't go far wrong http://stackoverflow...ordpress-plugin

jane

OK, thanks a mill Martin Davies...I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess things up!

greenfly

Make a copy and then you won't affect the original files (you can always reinstall the plugin if you didn't but do backup as standard practice before you make changes) 

Always backup :) 

jane

I followed the instructions and I got a fatal error message say that my edited plugin could not be activated because it could not redeclare the class PostPins.

I deactivated the PostPins plugin and tried activating the edited plugin again however when I tried to view the site it wouldn't load. Luckily, I was able to go back deactivate the edited plugin, activate the original plugin and I deleted all the files from my cPanel.

Being able to editing the "loading...", "load more posts" and "no more pages to load" text is rather critical. Is there anything else I can do?

Danny

Are you referring to the PostPins section ? As you keep saying plugin, is this a third party plugin ?

Also, we do not provide customization support on this level, you're free to edit any file you like, but we do not recommend it nor support it.

If you're using the PostPins section, then you can override it using a child theme and creating a child section of PostPins, see here for more information.

http://docs.pagelines.com/advanced/override-sections

You can use my child theme here - http://dannyholt.github.io/skeleton/

Please search our forums, before posting!

jane

Hi Danny yes I'm referring to the PostPins section - I suppose I called it a plugin since the files live in the plugin folder.

Danny

OK, then you will need to do as I suggested above. However, please be aware by doing the above suggestion, it is considered user created code and we will not be able to provide support.

jane

Understood, thank you. Would it be possible to suggest to your developers to have all the sections be translatable? That would save me, and I'm sure lots of other users, fa lot of headaches.

Danny

Those strings should be translatable already, that is why there is a text-domain of pagelines in the code.

jane

They are? Then I suppose those strings are in a version of the .pot/.po/.mo files that haven't been released yet? 

Danny

Hmm you're correct, the only thing I can think of is that it's because it isn't a core section. Let me speak to our developers and see what the problem is.

jane

OK, thank you Danny , a few of the sections are like this