Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eglashcreative

Backup Buddy and Losing Data

eglashcreative

I am perplexed. I've now lost data on TWO sites with DMS2. Today's loss: I started a new page on a client's site, and to copy the style of the template, I saved another page as a new template, then loaded it onto the new page. Without realizing that I need to Unlock the new page's template, I made changes then realized it affected the original page.

When I went to the original (source) page, the data was affected, so I did an Undo - every option (global, local, everything), and it did not succeed in putting back the page to the way it started. I did not publish any changes during the whole process. What am I possibly missing?

So, as a last resort,  I did a Backup Buddy database rollback, and DMS was completely unaffected. Why is this so hard? Doesn't DMS just use the WP DB? What the hell am I missing??

Thanks.  Joe

PS - As an aside, does anyone have any experience with using DMS2 and Backup Buddy?

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

James B

Hi Joe

I've not used backup buddy personally but I would imagine it doesn't know what to do with the information in the db in relation to the DMS templates. DMS templates/settings are able to be exported/imported as a json file within an option in the DMS control panel, as far as I know all of this information is stored in the wp options table.

I would think when backup buddy does its thing, it does restore the content in the database but doesn't connect it the correct fields in DMS like it would when you install the json file to import the settings.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

eglashcreative

Thanks James.

It would be great if someone would develop an automated backup of DMS sites. This has been a huge headache and time-waste for me. I'd happily pay for a plugin to do this.

How might I suggest this?

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

eglashcreative

Thanks Simon, but I already have it set to back up all tables (see attached). Unless you mean something else?

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

Simon

NO thats what i meant. Ive never used the plugin, cant afford $100 just to test it ;) 

You can PM me a link to the backed up SQL file if you like and i can check all the data is there.

jagipson

eglashcreative I use backup buddy with DMS without issue I rolled back a site yesterday after I updated to the lastest ver of DMS2 crashed my site. But I did a complete restore using the backup buddy php script. I was backup in 15 mins without losing anything

Danny

jagipson - Thanks for sharing.

Please search our forums, before posting!

eglashcreative

@jagipson Thanks - could you please give me a push in the right direction on learning about the PHP script? Unaware of this method. Assuming this is outside the Backup Buddy GUI. Thanks.

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

jagipson

@jagipson Thanks - could you please give me a push in the right direction on learning about the PHP script? Unaware of this method. Assuming this is outside the Backup Buddy GUI. Thanks.

Sure I'll post details here shortly, in the car right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jagipson

@jagipson Thanks - could you please give me a push in the right direction on learning about the PHP script? Unaware of this method. Assuming this is outside the Backup Buddy GUI. Thanks.

This is a very good step by step guide.

http://ithemes.com/codex/page/BackupBuddy:_Magic_Migration

Important steps:

download a full backup to your machine

Completely remove wp, when you run the import script wp will be reinstalled

The script will unzip the backup then ask you to recreate the db

This works for migrating and for backups

If you have any questions just send me a pm and we can comment over the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eglashcreative

Thank you so much, jagipson! I will keep this at hand, and it's also good to have on the forum for anyone else in the same boat.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe Eglash

Eglash Creative

quintinm

@jagipsonm, thanks for the info - it looks like i need to follow your advice here on one of my sites...

So just to confirm:

Step 1: download the full backup buddy file

Step 2: Remove the wp folder completely

Step 3: use the backup buddy import script

Step 4: done?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

quintinm

Sorry, further to the above... (panic mode setting in)

Is there anything specific i need to do with regards deleting the wordpress installation or just delete the wordpress folder?

Also, do i need to delete the database as well or must that stay?

Thanks

• Similar Content

• Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date
    • clj182
      By clj182+
      Hello,
      I've been having trouble unlocking the template section for past couple of weeks. When I try clicking nothing happens. 
      I've deleted my custom css and removed plugins. Im down to having only the following plugins:
      Akismet
      Contact Form 7
      DMS Professional Tools
      Pagelines Updater
      WooCommerce
      It was working fine before i have no idea what's going on with it.
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      My DMS 2 site http://www.heart-stone.com/ will not save any new custom css... I can still edit templates and publish those but any custom css that I enter never saves.
      All WP files, themes, and plugins are up to date. 
      Any thought about what might be causing this?
    • flourishdesignstudio
      By flourishdesignstudio+
      Is there a way to edit the custom CSS via FTP? I know I can edit the custom code in the Chrome editor but is there a file path I can use to find and edit the CSS directly from our FTP?
      Thanks in advance for the help!
    • nizami
      By nizami+
      Using navbar section with correctly configured WP menu to display main navigation at https://elenaangel.com. 
      All fine in desktop viewport. Menu displays twice in hamburger mode. How to fix this please?