Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

topjaba

Full Width Woes

topjaba

Hello,

I am trying to create a main page that makes use of some full-width elements.  I don't want these full width areas (canvas, header etc) to appear on any pages other than the front page.  My dilemma - I have hundreds of pages.  Why does the UI not provide an option to show these areas only on specific pages vs saying where you don't want them to appear?

I have never spent more time trying to assemble a simple site than I have with DMS.  Bugs aplenty and interface flops galore.  Sorry to rant but I can't imagine I'm the only one that is utterly frustrated by the idea that this is supposed to be a drag and drop framework.  

James B

Hi there, not sure I'm following you 100% but if you create a separate template for just the homepage, then add your full width sections to that it won't affect the layout for the rest of the site.

Kindly search the forum and read the documentation before posting. It will help you resolve many issues.

For CSS help be sure to check out W3Schools first and be sure to download FireBug for FireFox for troubleshooting.

James B

Danny

topjaba - Can you provide information about these bugs please so we can understand what the issue(s) is/are and try and address them. Also what do you mean by interface flops, can you be more specific please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

GetMeWebDesign

The header is a global section, so really shouldnt be used if only for one page. 

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

topjaba

For the same reason you mentioned, I purposely avoided using the header region for the elements I mentioned.

greenfly

topjaba - Can you provide information about these bugs please so we can understand what the issue(s) is/are and try and address them. Also what do you mean by interface flops, can you be more specific please.

Just quoting Danny's post to see if you can give us more information.. 

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

topjaba

Since I've already encountered more frustration than I care to try and recount, I'll simply continue to update this thread with bugs as they are experienced.  Sorry friends, I just don't have the will to try and rehash it all.

So, let's start with the most recent occurrence - tonight.

After changing the option in the site settings to alter the nav behavior to Standard Nav Dropdown Toggle, I refreshed the page.  Result: the area above my header containing my logo and and a separate text area were zapped back to the stone age. My logo was replaced by the DMS logo and my text box simply disappeared.  I also had amassed about 200 lines of custom CSS - that too got zapped away (along with the weekend plans now I suppose...)

Danny

Can you provide a link to the site in question and make sure you have DMS debug mode active ~ DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.

Also, do you have any plugins active and if so, can you disable them and see if the issue(s) persists.

One last thing, if the URL to your site is the one in your profile that is visible to moderators only, then that site is using DMS 2.0.4, we do not provide support to users who use out of date products, please update to the latest version and see if the issue persists.

Please search our forums, before posting!

topjaba

http://downpaymentassistance[dot]net

I have many active plugins.  The issue in question is not a matter of some margins getting thrown out of whack because of one plugin or another.  It's a matter of the entire site getting banged up so badly that it costs hours of time to rebuild the elements and customizations that are reset back to day one.  Activating and inactivating plugins to induce the repetition of an issue of this variety after I already fixed a bunch of the damage - not sure I can justify that expense of time.

As for my DMS version being out of date, I'm hoping you might be able to help me sort out a bit of a messy deluge of products.  I have a Pagelines updater plugin that stopped working weeks ago - I think DMS2 rendered it obsolete but I'm not sure.  My current DMS version is V. 2.07.  I'm not sure if it's the most up to date. Is there a link you can provide that displays the most current version available?  I see no mention of this in my site settings or my PL account management area.

Finally, when I navigate to the PL Licenses area of WP and I insert the same keys that appear on my PL account page, the keys are rejected.  

GetMeWebDesign

Make sure your email address is the same as associated with those licenses and add the license code to both options. You should then be able to see this (if things are working correctly) in wp-admin

http://screencast.com/t/tdnYcN0Y

2.07 is the latest version

Can you not install a plugin free version on a sub domain/local site and see if the issues repeat themselves?

Chrome Developer tools - please use them. If you are not sure how, then it is easy to learn

Be inventive in your keyword search of the forum ie Navi > Navbar > menu > tabs > font > color. Your answer lies there somewhere!

GetMeWebDesign

You have not put the site into debug mode either

topjaba

GMWD,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the isse relating to the updates was indeed related to the email address, which is the username that cannot be changed in the account settings.  I no longer use that email address bc the company associated with it has been sold, so I changed the email address in my PL account settings.  I guess since the original has to stay put for updating purposes, I just have to remember to keep using that.  Weird, seems like something that should be a bit more flexible but it's no biggie...

As for the debug mode, Danny provided me with the navigation instructions as such: DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.  I cannot find the "DMS toolbar" per se. In WP admin I see a Pagelines section a separate Pagelines Pro section and I also see more PL settings for license related stuff under the Dashboard section.  I know I've stumbled over that setting once before but the pinball navigation has me a bit turned around.   

Simon

if you give us the order number we can change the email address linked to your key.. just email the desk and include the following:

1. order number

2. key

3. email address you wish the key to be linked to

topjaba

Thanks for the tip, Simon. Do you happen to know that email address?

GetMeWebDesign

topjaba Pretty sure it is hello at pagelines dot com

GetMeWebDesign

GMWD,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the isse relating to the updates was indeed related to the email address, which is the username that cannot be changed in the account settings.  I no longer use that email address bc the company associated with it has been sold, so I changed the email address in my PL account settings.  I guess since the original has to stay put for updating purposes, I just have to remember to keep using that.  Weird, seems like something that should be a bit more flexible but it's no biggie...

As for the debug mode, Danny provided me with the navigation instructions as such: DMS Toolbar > Settings > Advanced.  I cannot find the "DMS toolbar" per se. In WP admin I see a Pagelines section a separate Pagelines Pro section and I also see more PL settings for license related stuff under the Dashboard section.  I know I've stumbled over that setting once before but the pinball navigation has me a bit turned around.   

The DMS toolbar is the bar of the DMS Live Editor (when you edit the site with DMS). Click Settings, scroll to Advanced and click and it is the first option > Enable Debug... check this box and refresh (the refresh icon next to the Enable option)

You will now have the option of "Click Here" - which will open a new tab with your debug info. If you have it enabled, anyone can see your debug and perhaps recognise known buggy plugins, or see issues raised by the debug

topjaba

GMWD, many thanks for the clarification.  Debug is enabled.

greenfly

Hi @topbaja

Could you check the enable has a tick in the box - the link we use isn;t returning the debug info 

http://downpaymentassistance.net/?pldebug=1

The answer to many issues can be found by searching in the forum before posting as someone else  may very well have had the same problem before you have.  Also, reading the documentation can help you gain a good understanding of how everything works. 

Please do not send me private messages. Occam's razor - The principle states "Keep things simple!"

• Similar Content

• Jared Smith
      By Jared Smith+
      I'm trying to make a visible border around the entirety of a client's site.  Example on some other site here:
      http://www.makeyourvisionreal.com/movement

So it is around the Title, Menu, and Content Area.  I'm having a bit of difficulty with this on pagelines, using the Framework theme. It's slightly more complex because the site has a "landing page" that doesn't need the border. Much like this homepage
      http://www.makeyourvisionreal.com/

Right now I'm using a content width of 80%, and fullscreen.  But maybe thats not the best way to do it.  

So, with the #site id, I can hit the whole area on most of the site, but I'm not sure how I can remove it for just one page.
      #site { border:1px solid #ccc; margin: 100px 5% 5% 50px; } anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe I need to go make a child template, not sure?  Thanks!
    • Perry
      By Perry+
      Hello There, 
      I am working with Platform 5 and have run into an unnerving problem. I am trying to position my clients picture along the bottom of the container, so that it sits right on the bottom. After a good hour of googling and messing with the CSS I figured I would ask the question here. Below is my screenshot displaying my problem. I will need to do this frequently in the future. 
      My Problem Image
      Unlike in DMS, when I add a margin to an embed or image box it simply makes the container larger while keeping the padding, I cannot have any padding or any space whatsoever on the bottom of my clients image.  Is there a way to remove all padding from the container so I can have this work across screen sizes? If not is there anyway to position an element directly at the bottom of another element in Platform 5? This seems like a basic feature and was easily attainable within DMS. 
      I cannot create an image combining all these elements as it will not scale well on mobile and will make my clients logo unreadable and her face incredibly small. 

Thank you for any help,
      Perry
    • Queue-it
      By Queue-it+
      Hi,
      Do you know how to hide a container background image only mobile?
      I've tried all the possible versions with [email protected] display hide [pl_uploads_url]/2016/10/image.png    but it would hide all container not just the image. 

• FRevi
      By FRevi+
      I am trying to achieve a gallery (Envira Gallery plugin) that spans the full width of a page, within Platform 5 theme. Can't figure it out.
      The page should look roughly like this: www.frankrevi.photography/envira/favorites-2 (maybe minus the title, that's another story). This is a standalone gallery page and not part of my site. Nothing links to it.
      But instead it is this on the real page: www.frankrevi.photography/favorites.
      Currently I have the gallery in a Pagelines Framework Content section. My framework content wrap is set to unwrapped full width. I'm using all 12 columns. In Pagelines Settings, my Layout/Nav Content Width is set to 100%.
      How can I get the gallery on the real page URL to be the full page width please?
    • Lisa Haran
      By Lisa Haran+
      Hi 
      I have a map here http://www.iloveoffset.com/maps/
      I want to add several pointer locations to the map, but when I do they do not appear.
      On this map there are 2 pointer locations and as you can there is only one visible.
      Earlier today I added 7 and could only see 4 so there is something odd going on.
      My theme is up to date